Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

CA Birth Certificate SNAFU

Started by JennMW, April 23, 2009, 04:40:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JennMW

California has a specific procedure one must follow to have a birth certificate reissued (see below) after getting a court order changing your gender. The original certificate is supposed to be "locked up" and no longer available for viewing by the public without a court order.

In December 2008, I followed all of the steps to the letter, including requesting an original form from their office on their special low acid, archival quality paper.

I then began patiently waiting the projected SEVEN months for my new birth certificate to arrive in the mail.

Well, yesterday's mail had a full letter size envelope from the Office of Vital Records.

Wanting to savor the moment, I waited until I got into the house and carefully slit open the envelope. Contained within were the two copies of my newly issued birth certificate that I requested! I then checked and yes, my name and gender were now correctly entered!

And I received them in just four months, not the seven originally suggested.

;) That's the good news....

>:( The bad news is that when they transferred the information from my old birth certificate to create the new one, the typist read the wrong fields! They entered the name of the City and County of my birthplace in the fields that were supposed to contain my father's first and last name! His name appears NOWHERE on my new birth certificate. (but the city and county are on the document twice)

So I composed a simple letter pointing out the error, enclosed the cover sheet they sent, the two birth certificates and a color photocopy of my original birth certificate for reference and dropped them in the mail today. So now we will see how long it takes this time to get the corrected documents.

So heads up! If by any chance you have been fortunate enough to have any of your government records updated, go back and check ALL of the fields, not just the ones you asked to have changed!

ps. I found it interesting to note that several fields were NOT even present on the new certificates. The old one had fields for doctors name and signature, race of each parent and address of the mother.

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/certlic/birthdeathmar/Documents/Gender%20Reassigment%20PAMPHLET%20(10-08)%20MERGED%205.pdf
  •  

JennMW

It only took 51 days! Today's mail had an envelope identical to the one I received in April.

Enclosed in the envelope was a simple cover sheet the the transaction details AND two copies of my corrected reissued birth certificates. This time they are error free!

December 16 - April 22 127 days
April 22 - June 12 51 days
Total 178 days, still less than the projected 7 months!

So the official and legal paper trail is finally complete! 445 days from filing for Legal Name change to receiving my corrected birth certificate.

Jennifer
  •  

Michelle.

Congrats Jenn,

Best of luck to you in the future, sorry it so long.

Mich'
  •  

V M

Congrats Jenn,

Glad they finally got it right  ;)
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •