Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

could this be androgen insensitivity

Started by Princess, April 12, 2009, 08:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Princess

here's something that's been going on with me that's making me wonder who i am. when i was twelve, my testosterone was 40, and apparently that was abnormally low for my age, and they wanted to give me injections, but i refused them. i guess my testosterone is a normal level now, and if you want to know my age, pm me. i never ejaculated in my whole life, i have low muscle tone, i have sparser pubic and underarm hair, i have a femenine face structure, i have a curvy looking female figure, my natural voice is exclusively gender neutral. do you think i could have androgen insensitivity or something.
  •  

Nicky

Could be a lot of things.
Perhaps something is going on. Or perhaps nothing is going on. The only way to know for sure if to get some tests done. Low testosterone can be caused by a number of things. If your testosterone levels are low then your physical stuff is probably related to that.

•  

JasmineG

As a person that wasn't diagnosed until I was well into my 30's, you have the same kind of symptom's that I have. To give you a little medical background on myself, I have very little body hair that never grows. This includes facial hair and body hair. My pubic hair is very sparse as well as my underarm hair. My voice can go from feminine sounding male to female. Biologically, I have absent uterus and adnexa. Soft tissue is not within the perineal region correlating with the area where the vaginal tissue is expected. Prostate or seminal vesicles are not identified. I'm still not sure if the soft tissue in the perineal region correlates because I was tucking that day. I'm so small that I don't use tape or any of the methods that are used by others. I simply where tight panties. I'm also sure that since these were medical doctors that were examining me, they would know the difference between, penile skin and just soft tissue that could possibly be vaginal tissue that never fully developed.

Anyways, the findings was consistent with testicular feminization syndrome or other developmental hormonal abnormalities with absent uterus and ovaries. Finally, I had my diagnosis which I waited for years to obtain.

Now, to explain PAIS to you a little more, PAIS is a rare inherited condition in which biologically 'intended' males fail to show full normal male development because their bodies are unable to respond normally to male hormones. The key to this condition is inheritance. You should be able to trace it back into your family running among the female carriers in your family. My mother had seperate father from two of uncles and one aunt. My uncle who would not be a carrier and I would have to have my mother tested and all the women on her fathers side tested for PAIS carrier. Since I'm the only one on my immediate family side to have PAIS, you can sure tell the difference between me and my male cousins.

PAIS comes in grades. Grade 1 is the lowest and most grade 1 PAIS individuals have male genitalia that is undistinguished from other males and therefore may give off the impression that they are fully males. Grade 2 has some form of deformity and is noticed at birth, sometimes. Grade 3 are rush off to surgery because doctors most likely will not know rather it's a girl or boy. Grade 4 and 5 are mostly female and raised as such until puberty where it is discovered that they have undecended testicles. I'm a Grade 1.

It is very difficult for doctors to even want to run test to determine if you have PAIS because the test's are expensive. Most will feel that if you reach adulthood, you'll be o.k. and there is no need to make the discovery. I had to insist since I was 10 years old that something was wrong. Doctors ignored my constant headaches, nose bleeds, vomiting, under developed physical characteristics. When I told them I was a girl, they sent me to a shrink that said I suffered from childhood GID and I needed to be put around boys my own age and that would help me to develop into a boy. I was constantly teased throughout school, I was constantly mistaken for a girl. I tried to pretend that I was a boy and seem attracted to girls but really I just felt more comfortable around them and could relate to them more than boys. I was never sexually attracted to girls and I hated not being able to wear a dress to school. Thank heavens, I lived in California around the time the Jerry Curl was popular and I wore my hair long as I could.

By the time I reach my second year of High School, I could not take it anymore and I drop out of school and went to work full-time. Yet, I was still mistaken as a feminine male. Everyone thought I was gay. I had no words to explain what I was going through so I went along with it. People say I'm gay, I must be gay. But I was never attracted to a man as another man. The only words that I can explain my feeling is that I have the same sexual desires that a heterosexual female has. I'm getting a little to deep now, so I wont go further.

By the time I was 23 years of age, I learned about transsexualism and I knew right then and there that I had to be me. I took all my male cloths and shoes, put them in a trash bag and threw them out. I went into my mom's room and took one of her bra's, blouses and I put on a pair a slacks and out the door I went. I went downtown to Dot's (a 10 dollar store) and brought everything I needed to start living my life as a woman. The next day, I went into work and sat down with my supervisor's and their mangers and told them that I wasn't a man and that I was a woman. They had no issues. I drew my own legal pagers up and began the process to change my name legally. By Jan the following year, I had a legal name change and off I went to SSA office and DMV to have my gender changed on my license.

By February, I had my birth certificate in hand with my legal name on it but they refused to change the gender until I had vaginoplasty. At that time, I didn't have medical records to prove my PAIS. It didn't matter to me anyway because my drivers licensed said female on it. If people questioned why my birth certificate says male, I tell them because I'm intersexed.

So there you have it, my life in a nutshell. That was 14 years ago. I'll have vaginoplasty in 2 months and 20 more days. I'll put the finale payment on my surgery this coming Monday. The only thing that stops me from have surgery next week is that I don't have money for the recovery period in FLA. The hotel cost me $700 not including food and some other things I need to purchase like sanitary pads, protective bed pads, dilators and some other small stuff. I'll have that all that stuff paid in July.

In addition to that, Dr. Reed wants me to be in ideal weight range before he'll do the surgery. I'm 30LBS overweight and I'll lose that easy once I get rid of this sciatica problem I've had that prevents me from doing aerobic walks. I love aerobic walks, I lost 30 LbS in like 1 and half month. That and cutting my caloric intake down to about 1500 calories a day.

Well I hopes this helps, if you have other questions, feel free to ask.
  •  

rejennyrated

I too now wonder if I have undiagnosed either MAIS or PAIS. For most of my life I thought I was merely Transsexual and I underwent full reassignment surgery in my early to mid twenties some 25 years ago now. But some things just never fitted right with the Trans label and of late I have been doing some research into the condition for a feature film screenplay that I am writing and this has brought my doubts into sharp focus

Here is what I know for sure.

1. Whilst in my mothers womb I was exposed to a high dose of Di-Ethyl-Stilboesterol (DES) a chemical which is known for inducing psuedo intersex conditions in a good proportion of male foetuses that are exposed to it.
2. My voice never broke when I was in "puberty". Before I changed I used to constantly be called Miss on the telephone.
3. I have a naturally feminine facial bone structure and have pretty well always been taken for a natal female.
3. Although I did develop some limited facial hair I never had much body hair.
4. As soon as I was put on estrogen/progesterone regime not only did I feel better (less mentally disoriented) but I rapidly achieved a full Tanner stage V bust develoment which maxed our at a very respectable 38 F cup. I even achieved a small but noticable pelvic widening. No silicone has EVER gone anywhere near my body. Nor have I ever undergone any feminisation surgery beyond the genital work.
5. I also know that when I was operated upon the surgeon was surprised by the position of the urethra within the tissue that he removed I gather that I was first degree hypospadius although no one had ever bothered to point this out to me!

All of this, with exception of item one is, I agree rather circumstantial and I don't really know why, after so many years I am even bothering to ask this question. I have lived in my chosen role for pretty well all of my adult life and I was lucky enough in the UK to have broadminded parents and coed schools in the 1960's and 70's who allowed me to grow up almost in my chosen gender (and how many trans children of the 60's can genuinely claim that I wonder?)

In many respects the doctors who would tell me that it is of no practical benefit to find out at this late stage would undoubtedly have a point. However I still find that I am intrigued and if there was a way to find out then it would be really interesting to know. Also if anyone else who has the condition has any insights - do my experiences match up? I would be grateful to be able to finally answer the last remaining mystery.

Jenny  :)
  •  

Shryke

Possibly.. but it's hard to self diagnose. I myself am grade 4 PAIS and identify as female, but I doubt either are related. It took until about 16 years old for me to be identified this way , before that they thought I might be Klinefelter's 47th. This turned out -not- to be the case, so check things out!
  •  

Vexing

My body type is very similar; however, looking at the males in my family, I put it all down to genetics.
You may have AIS, but generally bad cases have some undesirable symptoms such as micropenis, undescended testes and gynecomastia.
I suspect that you don't have AIS.
  •  

rejennyrated

UPDATE - July 2009

Finally been to see the doctor. Full medical notes reviewed and various tests later I have the answer.

I do indeed have a mild form of Partial Androgen Insensitivity. That only took me 49 years to find out... Ah well by the sound of it I was better off not knowing because at least I got my GRC without any issues.

Quote from: Vexing on May 09, 2009, 10:41:08 PM
My body type is very similar; however, looking at the males in my family, I put it all down to genetics.
You may have AIS, but generally bad cases have some undesirable symptoms such as micropenis, undescended testes and gynecomastia.
I suspect that you don't have AIS.

Ah Gymnomastica - that really is interesting actually because I did as it happens. And very severely indeed at the time. You may think this is an odd thing to do but I deliberately left that symtom out of my list to see if anyone would mention it as it was that above everything else which in retrospect made me wonder if all the other oddities added up to something.

It was also I suspect a contributory factor one of the things which worked so well in my favour when I  transitioned in my early twenties because unlike many people I know who have started on HRT post-teens I filled out naturally over a mere two or so years into a very ample and fully formed figure, which had my endocrinologist somewhat scratching his head at the time as he was fairly adameant that I should not have got such good results given the later start on hormones.

You also have to recall that I did have a lot of other minor abnormalities like for example being hypospadius (which no one else in my family was) having a high unbroken voice (which no othe male in my family does) and being almost body hairless in a family of gorillas. (applied to men on both sides of the family) I was also of a much slighter build and had a completely different facial bone structure.

My own feeling having read it all up is about 70% 30% that I do have it actually - I certainly had all the symptoms of MAIS and many of those of PAIS but like I say it is now really 30 years too late to get the evidence unless there was some kind of genetic test that one could take. Which is what I was interested to know. Because without that it's very difficult for you or indeed anyone (me included) to make any real diagnoses. Obviously as I have been post SRS for nearly 30 years now and therefore on HRT it is a slightly accademic point anyway. But as I said in my earlier post I'm genuinely intrigued.
  •