Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Middlesex

Started by Mr. Fox, May 29, 2009, 02:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Fox

Has anyone heard of this book?  I was going through a list of Pulitzer Prize winners and I came upon it.  It is about an intersexed person.  I haven't read it.
  •  

MMarieN

Yes, it's about an intersexed person. I read it and enjoyed it very much. It was a fairly fast read.
  •  

Jaimey

I actually didn't like it as much as I thought I would.  The beginning is slow and I would have liked more of the stuff about Cal instead of his family.  But that's just me.  I found it to be a very slow read. 
If curiosity really killed the cat, I'd already be dead. :laugh:

"How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and the strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these." GWC
  •  

Alyssa M.

I LOVED it.

Okay, sure it's about an intersexed person, but that's not relevant for most of the book, at least not directly. It's a nice piece of modern American literature along the lines of many Philip Roth novels or several Michael Chabon novels (Mysteries of Pittsburg; Kavalier and Clay) or Jonathan Franzen's "The Corrections" or the like. It's about America, immigration, race and ethnicity, family, the urban/suburban divide, etc. I enjoyed it immensely. But don't go into it thinking it's a book "about" and intersexed person. It's a book about people where the main protagonist happens to be intersexed. And that is the best thing it could be. It's so nice to be able to see stories that involve gender issues in popular culture where the gender issues aren't the whole story.
All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.

- Anatole France
  •  

Bombi

I enjoyed the story. I gave it to my SO and she read and enjoyed it to. She commented that it gave her an insight to, as she described " people who are different, like you.
Yes there is really bigender people
  •  

Mr. Fox

Quote from: Alyssa M. on June 01, 2009, 01:55:10 AM
I LOVED it.

Okay, sure it's about an intersexed person, but that's not relevant for most of the book, at least not directly. It's a nice piece of modern American literature along the lines of many Philip Roth novels or several Michael Chabon novels (Mysteries of Pittsburg; Kavalier and Clay) or Jonathan Franzen's "The Corrections" or the like. It's about America, immigration, race and ethnicity, family, the urban/suburban divide, etc. I enjoyed it immensely. But don't go into it thinking it's a book "about" and intersexed person. It's a book about people where the main protagonist happens to be intersexed. And that is the best thing it could be. It's so nice to be able to see stories that involve gender issues in popular culture where the gender issues aren't the whole story.

Ooh, that makes it better than it sounded.  The brief description I read put a lot more description on the main character's physical condition, but ambiguous genitalia do not a novel make.
  •  

Mister

I read it a few years ago.  I didn't find it particularly good and left it with the feeling that it's gotten attention because it deals with a IS person, not because it's well written.
  •  

Jaimey

Quote from: Mister on June 01, 2009, 05:23:57 PM
I read it a few years ago.  I didn't find it particularly good and left it with the feeling that it's gotten attention because it deals with a IS person, not because it's well written.

Agreed.  It became especially big after Oprah picked it for her book club.  I think it also rode the coattails of "The Virgin Suicides", which had some popularity as well.  I found the beginning to be extremely tedious.

"How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and the strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these." GWC
  •  

Alyssa M.

I don't get it. What didn't you all like about it? When people criticize a book by saying, "I didn't like the writing," that's kind of a tautology, isn't it? So why didn't you like it?

Were you expecting something different? I gather Jaimey was -- it's not really a novel about an intersexed person, but about an American immigrant family, told by the grandchild of the original immigrants. I guess that appeals to me, having plenty of stories of immigration in my own family history.

If you didn't like this, what kind of literature do you prefer? I thought it was in a similar class as a number of other Pulitzer winners, such as the three previous ones, "Empire Falls," "Kavalier and Clay," and the short story collection "Interpreter of Maladies." I found K&C a bit tedious toward the end, and Empire Falls somewhat less memorable a story. "Middlesex" is much less bitter than EF and K&C. It's rather different that IoM, mostly because that's a collection, but it shares some of the broad geographical and cultural reach.

The writing is quite distinctive. It's not Faulkner or Hemingway or Roth or Morrison or Proulx or McCarthy. It's bright and optimistic and playful and self-consciously embellished. That is, it reflects the personality of the main protagonist, Cal, from whose point of view the story is told. I thought the beginning, the sordid and ridiculous tale of an incestuous Greek hillbilly love affair, was a hoot. The only real letdown for me was the less convincing portrayal of Cal's life shortly after leaving home.

I certainly agree that some books are all hype -- first on my list would be "The DaVinci Code," which read like cheap knock-off of Tom Clancy, even less plausible, far more predictable, and repetitive. I could name a dozen thrillers I liked a lot better. But in the genre of contemporary American literary fiction about more-or-less ordinary folks, it ranks above most. It's certainly one of the more memorable books I've read in the last decade or so. As far as Oprah, well, she's picked some good books and some bad ones. I don't trust her any more or less than, say, anyone who's responded to this thread. But I do tend to trust the judgment of the Pulitzer Prize committee to pick books that I'll enjoy.

Oh, what the heck, check it out of the library, give it a go, and return it if you don't like it.

(p.s. That's just my $.02 or perhaps a bit more. I hope that didn't sound combative -- I just liked this book, and so I like talking about it, though it's certainly not a masterpiece of Western literature, and I'm genuinely curious about criticisms people have.)
All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.

- Anatole France
  •  

Jaimey

No worries, I like discussing books too. 

I didn't have any expectations for it, which is really the best way to go into any book.  I read it for what it was and that's what I based my opinion on.  I found it extremely tedious, particularly in the beginning and I just didn't enjoy it very much.  I think that there are books out there that are written much better that would be more worth a reader's time than Middlesex.  I really liked the stuff with Cal.  That was interesting.  But the rest of it bored me to tears and it just didn't seem natural...all the stuff with his grandparents for example.  I think he could have written that part in a way that would have been more interesting...I guess that part felt forced to me.  I just didn't think it was all that good of a book.  I worked in a bookstore for a long time and Middlesex is just one of those books that I could never figure out what all the fuss was about.  To be honest, if "The Virgin Suicides" hadn't been made into a movie or if Oprah hadn't picked it for her book list, I don't think it would have been near the success it was.  I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either.  I find his writing to be boring and slow.

If I were going to suggest books for people to read, I'd recommend something by Haruki Murakami...there's a trans character (if that's what you're looking for) in "Kafka on the Shore" and that book is far more interesting than Middlesex.  On a side note, "Dance, Dance, Dance" is my favorite Murakami book.  It's amazing.

...just looking at the others you mentioned, Alyssa...I didn't like Interpreter of Maladies either (I haven't read the others nor do I have any desire to), so I'm going to guess that you and I have very different tastes in literature.  There's nothing wrong with that. 

As far as hype goes...I listened to DaVinci code...those books are good for a cheap thrill...I don't care for that sort of writing, usually.  Every now and then, it's all right though.  What gets me with the hype thing is that a book like "Night" gets a huge rebirth because Oprah picked it...that's a book that I expect people to have read anyway.  The whole Oprah's book club both annoys me and makes me happy at the same time (at least people are reading...).  I feel the same way about the Harry Potter hype.  They were good, but why doesn't Diana Wynne Jones get the same attention?  Personally, I think she's a better writer, but because no one in the media has told us to read her work, most people don't.  People read what gets attention.  If you can get your book mentioned in the right place, it will sell and become a critical darling whether it deserves to be or not.  :-\

•  

Lori

Quote from: Mr. Fox on May 29, 2009, 02:05:21 PM
Has anyone heard of this book?  I was going through a list of Pulitzer Prize winners and I came upon it.  It is about an intersexed person.  I haven't read it.

After reading this thread, I'm going to have to buy it and read it now just so I know what everybody is talking about.  :D
"In my world, everybody is a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!"

If the shoe fits, buy it in every color.
  •  

Jaimey

Quote from: Alyssa M. on June 01, 2009, 11:31:34 PM
I don't get it. What didn't you all like about it? When people criticize a book by saying, "I didn't like the writing," that's kind of a tautology, isn't it? So why didn't you like it?

Actually, I don't think that necessarily counts as tautology.  A good story can be written poorly and something that is written well isn't necessarily good.  Considering that this is a work of fiction, I think the quality of writing can have a great effect on the effectiveness of the story.  So I suppose you could say that I found the overall effectiveness of the story to be lacking.  :-\  I think that writing is both an art and a science and it's the combination of storytelling and the ability to write effectively that really determine whether a work is good or bad.  Well, that and personal tastes.  :)

•