Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Twilight series

Started by Nicky, June 18, 2009, 04:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rock_chick

Quote from: Miniar on June 22, 2009, 07:16:10 AM
They look horribly misogynistic to me.
And full of "no sex 'till you're married" propaganda.

I haven't read them and don't really have any desire to, but I saw a very interesting program on how the subtext of the vampire mythology has changed over the years; Stoker was all about repressed sexual desires, Anne Rice was about infection and Stephanie Myer just mormonised the whole thing, essentially turning something dark and beautiful into something simplistic, preachy and dull. Yuk!

I may steal the first book of my younger sister just to see what the fuss is about...and then i can really have something to complain about. I am however planning to redress the disservice she has done to the vampire mythology by adding my own take to it. Only another 90,000 words to go. :o
  •  

Astarielle

How about that? I am also writing a vampire story. It's my intention to put some romance in there, but also a lot of action. It's actually directed at a high school audience as well.
  •  

Kentrie

I don't like the Twilight series because its plot is only about love and nothing else, Bella and Edward's relationship isn't healthy, Edward has the same traits I do, Jealous, posessive, etc. and even I can tell that's not healthy, I think he needs to lighten up a bit.
And parts of the story make no sense, in the last book, Edward has sex with Bella, if he has no blood and he doesn't eat anything it's almost impossible to have sex with her because without blood he can't get an erection and he's basically dead so he has no sperm which makes it impossible to get Bella pregnant, that's the biggest fictional story I have ever seen. I agree with the one woman who said if her daughter ever dated someone like Edward to kick him in the balls. I would tell my daughter the same thing. Bella is an idiot for not telling Edward to shut up and stop doing what he did.
Push it baby, push it baby, out of control, I got my gun cocked tight and I'm ready to blow. ;)
  •  

Princess Rachel

I like the books, they're ok for what they are :)

•  

Espenoah

I tried to read the books just so I could have a valid opinion when people talked to me about it. Twilight was actually pretty entertaining, Bella was a bit annoying, but Jacob was enough for it to be redeemable for me.
But New Moon...I had the urge to put it down as soon as Bella had that emotional coma...and then proceeded to struggle with it half way through. I couldn't bring myself to finish by then, and I absolutely HATE leaving books unfinished. I just didn't care for any of the characters BUT Jacob.
So I have a valid opinion now: The writing is horrid and everyone is a Mary Sue.
"If a bullet should enter my brain, let that bullet destroy every closet door." -Harvey Milk
  •  

PaRaDeaD

This is my favourite book series. Then again, I haven't read many series..es?

Twilight was the first book that took me like only two days to read. I simply could not put it down. I don't usually really analyse books or overthink the characters, plot and the writing. It definitely kept me entertained for most of the books (New Moon was definitely the weakest of them) and that's what really matters to me. Eclipse is my favourite. :)
  •  

Frank

I read it, mostly because my mother bought it for me and to see what the hype was about. I don't really have an opinion toward it, it's just an entertaining read but seriously, the relationships are not healthy at all and it stank of a fanfiction filled with Mary Sues and the like.
-Frank
  •