Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Suntan

Started by barbie, July 11, 2009, 05:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbie

When I was in the US, I exercised outdoors frequently, and the sun in the Atlantic ocean was so strong, making my skin nearly black.

I had a chance to visit a stranger's house for purchasing a used bunk bed for my kids. The owner was young caucasian woman. Surprisingly, she exclaimed at the color of my legs, and asked where I got suntan. I replied it was not a indoor suntan, but just natural one. She seemed to envy the color of my legs: http://cfile264.uf.daum.net/image/185CAC124A590F2476F991

Here in a coast of the Pacific, the sun is not so much strong compared with Atlantic coasts, and women usually try to their best not to expose to the sun. They even wear mask during outdoor exercise: http://thebike.co.kr/_data/081218/11/3.jpg

It seems to be that women here (S. Korea) like white skin whereas American women prefer tanned skin in summer. Following the standard here, I also apply facial sun creams and tend to exercise outdoors in the nighttime, but occasionally bike in the daytime.

I like tanned skin in summer, but both men and women here do not like it  :'( Sigh...

Barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Alyssa M.

I like to get sun because it makes me feel better. What I don't like is getting weird tan lines, which I now have on my arms and the back of my neck after a long climb in really hot weather and bright sun last week. Some light burning too. We were just working too hard to get to the top to worry about reapplying sunscreen. :(
All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.

- Anatole France
  •  

tekla

In America we're all trying very hard to be black.  Tan is as close as most of us get.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Michelle.

•  

barbie

Just do it.
  •  

LordKAT

nice legs, Barbie.
  •  

Cindy

Never seen a sexy melanoma
  •  

Janet_Girl

I tan very easy.  About 15 minutes in the sun and I go from Caucasian to Hispanic.  Any longer and I make the Patriot Act Watch List.

It is my Mediterranean and Native American family backgrounds,

Janet
  •  

Bombi

Here in the VI it is difficult not to get a tan. The sun is strong as we are close to the equator. I enjoy the beach and swim several times a week in the caribbean sea. I use protection and try not to over-expose as I'm aware of the consequences, however takind sun provides the body with Vitamin D, a defiency of D can be the cause of many afflictions. I like the tan lines I get from wearing a bikini around the house and sometimes to a secluded beach.In public I perfer board shorts and a quick drying cami-type top. The yhing is moderation but a little color makes one look a bit healthier.
Yes there is really bigender people
  •  

tekla

Too much of just about anything - and everything - is bad, but some sun is good for you.

And I would think that exercising normal caution you'd be fine, and sooner or later everything is going to kill you anyway.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

PinkSunshine

Suntan? Whats that?   ;) I burn so easily that the only time I get a tan is if I burn several times in a row. Use sunscreen you say? Well, then I won't get a tan  :-\ No, I never intentionally get burnt, I'd much rather be pale, but one of these days I may try a tanning booth.

However, back on topic. Yes Barbie, most of the women around here (Northeast USA) likes to have a slight tan in the summer. I would too, if it wasn't for fair skin!
  •  

barbie

I see the number of depressed people has dramatically increased in this country. A few days ago, I attend a funeral for the wife of my young colleague. She has suffered from depression. Also, one of my SO has suffered from seasonal depression.

A doctor said the rate of depression tends to be higher for white skin people. The two women I mentioned have relatively white face.

And studies suggest:

QuoteContrary to popular beliefs, the sun may not be as dangerous as we thought. In fact the exact opposite may be true. Avoiding the sun may help your skin stay wrinkle free, but it may also lead to depression, lowered sex drive and a higher risk of deadly cancers.
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/core_may_8.htm
http://www.skinbiology.com/morehealthysuntanning.html

Barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

Cindy

Moderation is important. There is no doubt in the science literature linking skin cancer to over exposure to UV, particularly in fair skin complexions.
But it is also important realise that Vitamin D depends upon getting sun exposure. And SAD is due to lack of sunlight in the controlled environments many of us live in.

In the final say though, If I could walk on the beach and sunbake in an itty bitty bikini or sit in the shade covered up; I know where I would be, and hope to be totally oggled.  :laugh:

Cindy
  •  

barbie

Quote from: CindyJames on July 14, 2009, 04:38:57 AM

In the final say though, If I could walk on the beach and sunbake in an itty bitty bikini or sit in the shade covered up; I know where I would be, and hope to be totally oggled.  :laugh:

Cindy

English is my second language, and I am wondering what 'oggle' means!

Barbie~~

Post Merge: July 15, 2009, 11:52:14 AM

Okidoki.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=oggle

Quote1.  oggle  107 up, 18 down   
v. 1. To stare at the breasts or ass of a woman with out their knowledge. see also "learing"

2.  oggle  12 up, 74 down   
A state of lust a man enters when in the company of any woman, due to the fact that he really does not see the woman before him. Since behind his dopey glazed over eyes he's putting the image of Jadah over the woman in his presence.
Barnie was oggling Betty but only because she became the mirror image of Jadahin his minds eye. 

What? I still don't know.

Barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

BrianaLynne

I'm addicted to tanning!!
Tanning, in moderation makes your skin glow & look alot more smooth & even. When your really white redness & blotchy skin is more evident. Though if you do spray tan go clear!! Always protect your skin & dont use lotions with bronzer.. you will turn orange.
  •  

Alyssa M.

Quote from: barbie on July 15, 2009, 11:49:11 AM
English is my second language, and I am wondering what 'oggle' means!

That's a misspelling. It's just a regular English word that has been around for hundreds of years -- but it's spelled OGLE, not OGGLE.

However, it is often pronounced to rhyme with BOGGLE or TOGGLE or GOGGLE (rather than MOGUL -- but sometimes it's pronounced like that, too). But there is only one G in OGLE.

Then you can look it up in a regular dictionary. Hope this helps. ;)
All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.

- Anatole France
  •  

V M

Now that I have some boobs, I sometimes catch guys ogling them  :laugh: I don't care much for tans though. Which is a shame because I tan rather well. I'm in total fear of skin cancer  :o
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

Cindy

Sorry for the confusion.

I seem to be developing blonde genes :laugh:

Sorry now to all the blondes who take offense :laugh:

Cindy
  •  

BrianaLynne

im naturally a brunette so none taken!
  •  

barbie

Quote from: BrianaLynne on July 16, 2009, 03:09:17 AM
im naturally a brunette so none taken!

In winter and spring, I and my kids tend to be white. In summer and fall, we become brunet. Usually color of skin of NE asians tend to change dramatically with season, but my wife is exceptional. Her skin is always relatively white. One of my female colleague in the US once joked me that some of my wife's ancestors were probably caucasians.

As I have to wear at least short pants in summer, my legs look like wearing thigh-high black stocking in public bath or in hot spa, which I no longer visit (you know why).

Barbie~~
Just do it.
  •