Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

stop "violence against women"

Started by metal angel, August 26, 2009, 05:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metal angel

I am really beginning to resent the term "violence against women" and similar terminology from public service announcements and other well-meaning sexists. Firstly, it lumps together a disparate array of problems. But mainly, it stereotypes women as victims, and stereotypes men as aggressors.

Generally I think the problem people are trying to address when they use this term would be "domestic and sexual violence". They don't seem to be referring to other sorts of violence where the victim just happens to be female? I have heard (and have no reason to disbelieve) that women are disproportionately represented as victims of this form of violence, but I think a less gender-stereotyped and more inclusive approach would be more productive.

I think campaigns which use terminology like "violence against women" and other very gender divisive campaigns possibly even reinforce some of the gender divisions which cause women to disproportionately be represented among the victims of this form of aggression, and cause men to disproportionately be perpetrators.

My latest grudge is against the Australian "MensLine" who wall-paper busses with their propaganda. I appreciate the attempt, but not the delivery. I'll try to explain my point with an exaggeration of what they seem to be doing: picture a billboard add that says "DON'T HIT YOUR BITCH" with a picture of a strong virile man and a defenseless weak woman. The delivery of the message reinforces the roots of the problem.

If nothing else, what about the women who do – or are tempted to – commit this sort of abuse themselves? And what about male victims?
  •  

Miniar

The male victim experiences such overwhelming shame as he's supposed to be all big and strong that he rarely reports anything at all.
And in situations where the abuse is found out, the male victim can even find himself going to great lengths to deny being a victim at all.

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

Just Kate

Interesting perspective and, upon initial examination, right on.  I think it does have the potential to propagate more of the same behaviors and only widens the gender gap.  If nothing else, it might make men who are victims of abuse even LESS likely to report it due to the continually reinforced stereotype that domestic abuse is a woman's problem.

EDIT immediately after: But we absolutely cannot deny how much of a problem this is for women world-wide.  They are far, far more subject to this type of abuse.  Raising awareness of the issues and shining the spotlight on the way cultures and individuals abuse women is very important.
Ill no longer be defined by my condition. From now on, I'm just, Kate.

http://autumnrain80.blogspot.com
  •  

Chloe

Quote from: metal angel on August 26, 2009, 05:01:09 AM
I am really beginning to resent the term "violence against women" and similar terminology from public service announcements and other well-meaning sexists. Firstly, it lumps together a disparate array of problems. But mainly, it stereotypes women as victims, and stereotypes men as aggressors.

lol  ;D tell me 'bout it, you 'ave no idea the depth of The Problem, apparently "men in general" NEVER HAD A REAL, LOVING MOTHER (or good "father" role model) THEMSELVES and "they" say the problem lies WHERE? lol

One reaps what one sows, what's so incomprehensible, complicated 'bout that?
"But it's no use now," thought poor Alice, "to pretend be two people!
"Why, there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!"
  •  

Dryad

Miniar's right about male victims. Also, something that seems to happen a lot is the female aggressor filing a complaint on the male victim in case he defends himself.

Society ruins male victims even more, because, after all, a guy is strong, tough, and a machine!
Oh, wait.. It doesn't work like that...
(Seen it happen.. Awful thing. When he finally came round to seeking help, the police wouldn't believe him. Such a sweet man..  :( )
  •  

tekla

Miniar's right about male victims. Also, something that seems to happen a lot is the female aggressor filing a complaint on the male victim in case he defends himself.

Society ruins male victims even more, because, after all, a guy is strong, tough, and a machine!

No, Miniar might be right about how male victims being in too much shame to say anything, but the numbers are OVERWHELMING going the other way.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Miniar

No one said anything about the numbers or the value of a victim, only that society doesn't allow a man to be a victim, at least, not to a woman, and not without ridicule, guilt, and other "fun" stuff.

It doesn't take away from the overwhelming number of female victims, not at all.

But the fact remains that for every reported case of domestic abuse between heterosexual partners where the man is the victim, we have no way of knowing how many go unreported and unspoken. Even in those cases where the abuse is reported the man may argue that he's no victim and so the case never goes beyond the report.

If a woman goes to her family saying "my husband hit me" (in the western world/culture) she is encouraged to leave him and given all the help and support she needs.
If a man goes to his family and says "my wife hit me" he's likely to be laughed at, told to man up, and have his masculinity attacked.

The numbers of reported cases tell us that women are far more often abused than men, but that doesn't mean that domestic violence = "violence against women" only.

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

qRachelp

Yeah, the slogan should be: "Stop Domestic Violence".

In the past, when I tried to deny that I was a MTF transsexual, mostly from the pressures of our failing western society, I was a victim of domestic violence so I called 911 emergency, and when the police got there, they didn't even take her to jail like they do men.  And now that's another reason why I despise the uniformed-police in general.

Rachel
  •