Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Epilator: Yay or nay?

Started by Tammy Hope, August 31, 2009, 03:37:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tammy Hope

So I'm maybe going to have a SMALL amount of fungible money in the next few weeks and I've been musing on whether or not I'd prefer the epilator to shaving (since I do so VERY much shaving)

On the one hand, I have to shave every other day - every third day at most - which is tedious and time consuming. If I could get it to even once a week I'd be well rewarded;

Also, certain spots just DON'T shave smooth (for you slender girls, you might not know but in my experince the fattest places are the places where the last stubble just can't be gotten). In addition, some places bleed a lot no matter how careful I am (inner thighs are the most problematic) so in both those regards blades dissatisfy me;

Finally, there are some places, particularly on my calves, that "tweezing" the hair out would produce marvelous results because the hair there is pretty light anyway, and other places like my arms that have sort of a "shadow" within little more than a day that I think would look better.

On the flip side is, of course, the potential pain but I think I could put up with a lot for the right results

So the real question comes down to - does it work as advertised? Will an epilator, in point of fact, enable me to go a week or more with pretty much hairless skin?

Oh, and also some more direct questions:

how long does the hair have to be for the epilator to get it's grip? I wonder how long I have to go without shaving in order for it to work right.

Also, the money I have to spare is $50 or less i imagine....is there a quality device out there for that price range? I'm not opposed to getting one - even a used one - on e-bay if I know the right model to seek.

Thoughts?
Disclaimer: due to serious injury, most of my posts are made via Dragon Dictation which sometimes butchers grammar and mis-hears my words. I'm also too lazy to closely proof-read which means some of my comments will seem strange.

http://eachvoicepub.com/PaintedPonies.php
  •  

Chrissty

The epilator is definitely the best way to go in most cases, if you can stand the pain.. ;)

..it always get's me that the more expensive ones have little heads before and after the "ripping" head....specifically designed to inflict pain, so that you don't notice how much more pain the main head causes... ::)

The hairs need to usually be around 3mm long before the next harvest, but I find them lighter and less irritating than where I still shave, as they don't have the sharp "cut" edge effect on the tip of the hair... ::)

Making sure there is nobody else in the house to hear the screams is also a sensible precaution... ;D

Chrissty

•  

sd

Do NOT use an epilator on your face.
It has been done before, but it is not advised.

Also keep in mind, they are known for causing ingrown hairs. That being said, you can have mine when I'm dead (No, I do not use it on my face.)
  •  

Steffi

I used to wax, using the "One-Touch" waxing system which is great, very effective and much more convenient than messing about with pots of wax etc.
Then my GG friend let me test her epilator, I bought one and haven't waxed in the year since. Mine is a Philips Satinelle Soft.

One big advantage is that it is so convenient to use - you can just pick it up and do a small area when you have a couple of spare minutes.
Using it the very first time will be where it REALLY hurts, the regrowth is finer and therefore easier and less painful. Also less noticeable than shaved hairs which are regrowing.
Mine will get hairs much less than 3mm - in any case, such hair is fine so not as visible as it sounds.
Despite contrary advice, I recently used it on my underarms too - no problem at all, great result.

Epilator - Yay!   8)
To those who understand, I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand, take me as I am
Not under your command, I know where I stand
I won't change to fix your plan, Take me as I am (Dreamtheatre - As I Am)
I started out with nothing..... and I still have most of it left.
  •  

Hannah

So I just looked up a Philips Satinelle Soft and I have to say, these are the sort of things future archaeologists will dig up and think our civilization barbaric.

That being said, I ordered one  ::) What the heck it could be interesting for the legs at least. Frankly after so much electro and laser I'm thinking I can handle anything. For this sadistic little tool though,  I'd imagine a good soak in a hot bath first would help?
  •  

lizbeth

I like the Braun epilator I have - i've had it for like 10 years now, wow!

i've been epilating for years now, and I have to say that i can't imagine ever shaving as often as I used to. the 4-6 weeks it advertises is not typical, but it was not uncommon for me to go 2 weeks between shaves (pre HRT). I did have problems with ingrown hairs using it on my chest, so I resorted to waxing/shaving (until recently, i've been epilating my chest since i am back on hrt and regrowth is lighter).

the pain is really only at first, the more you use it the less it hurts since the hairs grow in thinner and more sporadic. after 10+ years of using it, I actually take a mild pleasure in running it over my arms and legs (other areas are still VERY sensitive  :P)

I have used it on my face as well, but only now that it's getting a few white hairs here and there

QuoteWill an epilator, in point of fact, enable me to go a week or more with pretty much hairless skin?

that really depends on your body type and how your hair is (testosterone as well), i don't think 1 week is uncommon at all, but 5 days for sure (enough to get through a work week)
  •  

ColleenW

I'd say go ahead and get an epilator. I have a Panasonic, an Emjoi and the Baun Silkepel. I like all of them for different parts of my body. Now that I'm used to it I much prefer epilating to shaving, except for my face. I'd agree with other posts to NOT use it for facial hair.
  •  

sd

Quote from: Becca on August 31, 2009, 05:55:44 PM
For this sadistic little tool though,  I'd imagine a good soak in a hot bath first would help?
Water can make the hair softer and more prone to breaking, but can also make the skin softer and therefore easier to pull it out.

I tried the hot bath before once, it was easier top tolerate, but I think it caused a lot of broken hairs.
  •  

SoShy

I've been a bit curious about an epilator for legs/arms and the best method to use them (I have very fine hair and a tendency for ingrown hairs too).

Would a hot towel technique work better before using one rather than actually soaking in a bath and maybe result in less broken hairs?

SoShy
  •