Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

buddhist eunuch!!!

Started by treeworshipper, October 09, 2011, 01:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treeworshipper

this shout could be heard echoing across the parking lot, where the dandelions and milk thistle broke through the seasoned cracks by the old abandoned chinese food store

...but no one laughed.

that was the day the giraffes broke free.
  •  

treeworshipper

i think the reason i 'can't' meditate like i used to anymore is I JUST LOVE LIFE SO EFFING MUCH!! and whats the difference between meditating and not meditating, and silence and sound, and motion and stillness anyways?
  •  

Sandra M. Lopes

Quote from: treeworshipper on October 09, 2011, 11:47:38 PM
i think the reason i 'can't' meditate like i used to anymore is I JUST LOVE LIFE SO EFFING MUCH!! and whats the difference between meditating and not meditating, and silence and sound, and motion and stillness anyways?

None whatsoever, if you have attained that level of realization :)

But from the beginning of your sentence, I'd guess you haven't. For us with a conceptual mind, there still seems to be a difference.
Don't judge, and you won't be judged.
  •  

Shawn Sunshine

REALLY? tell me more about this, I want to know more about Euncuhs in other religions and backgrounds  :icon_geekdance:
Shawn Sunshine Strickland The Strickalator

#SupergirlsForJustice
  •  

Sandra M. Lopes

Well, the only amusing fact I have to share is that the Buddhist ordination vows are not to be given to individuals without genitalia or — and this is really funny, but I'm not making it up! — to people who change sex spontaneously (!!) or who have changed sex three or more times.

This is not meant to be discriminative! There are certain advanced practices that will only work if you are of a certain sex. Also, since the vows are different for males and females (more protective towards females, for cultural reasons: they would be far more exposed in conservative, male-dominated societies. Just travel to India today and you'll see how it is), an individual who changes sex all the time would have a hard time following all the precepts...

It's curious, however, that 2,600 years ago it was envisioned that people might, indeed, change their sex, and that wouldn't be a problem, unless you did it too often. In fact, people changing sex twice is not unheard of, although rare. But I haven't heard of anyone changing sex three times!

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that an eunuch (who, I assume, isn't keen in full transition) who is really committed to the practice will not have the vows denied. These are actually more "guidelines" than "things written in stone". At least on the Mahayana schools, it's the intention that matters.
Don't judge, and you won't be judged.
  •