Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

My Coming Out Letter

Started by Dana_W, June 22, 2009, 06:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dana_W

Well it's finally time. This is the letter I fired off to the first couple of friends. It's the format I'm planning to tweak a bit before sending to my parents, so consider this its' dress rehearsal. Any constructive thoughts from the rest of you would be appreciated as well.

Dear [names withheld],

I have some news I wanted to share with you. Not having seen you for some time I'm not quite sure how to relate this in an easy manner, so if you'll indulge me I'll be direct and risk coming across a bit brusquely.

I have decided to transition my sex to make my external appearance match the gender I've always felt inside. In other words, I am transsexual and am planning to become a woman.

This has been anything but a quick or easy decision. Most of my life has involved a combination of hiding or repressing this part of me. For as long as I can remember I have lived in a state of abject terror that someone might discover this secret, and that has driven me in sometimes strange and often self-destructive directions to keep it hidden. But I've finally reached the end of my endurance for that kind of life. I need to finally make myself whole, face the fear, and come out as who I really am.

This is not going to be an instant change. The process is (unfortunately from my perspective) fairly slow. But, especially because it presents some unique challenges in terms of employment in addition to costs specific to the transition itself, I don't anticipate being fully transitioned in every aspect of my life for a couple of years. This means I cannot necessarily tell you which gendered version of me you might encounter at a given point in time during that period. But to avoid confusion you should know the long term direction is clear - eventually I will live my life entirely as a woman. The male "version" of myself will eventually go away for good.

I've always valued your friendship, even though my desire to hide my secret inner self caused me to maintain a lot more distance than I would have liked. I'd like you to understand that the distancing itself - the constant pushing away / running away - was the result of my inner transgender struggle. It's impossible to grow very close to anyone when you feel like you can't risk being yourself around them. In lieu of honesty I prejudged myself on everyone else's behalf, including yours. I decided everyone would reject me if they only knew the real me. And as a result real closeness to others was simply impossible for me. I'm trying to change that as much as anything else by this process.

Obviously this kind of thing is difficult for many others to understand and accept. I'm well aware that this may put you in an uncomfortable position in regard to our continued friendship. I just want you to know that I would like to keep your friendship - possibly even become a better friend than I've been able to be in the past. I'm always willing to answer any questions or address any concerns you may have.

With love and respect,

[name withheld] (who is becoming Diana)
  •  

Sandy

That is a very powerful letter!  Very well written!

Keep us posted on how well it is received.

-Sandy
Out of the darkness, into the light.
Following my bliss.
I am complete...
  •  

tekla

If you were my 'friend', and you sent me that letter, I'd quit reading after the second paragraph, and feel offended you couldn't tell me that in person.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Kara

I agree, I would feel a little miffed if a friend had wrote me a letter like that. You're making yourself available to answer questions but you can't tell them up-front?

If you're afraid of telling them, it's time to face your fears I think.
  •  

Sandy

I disagree.  Some friends I could not tell face to face because of distance or other issues.  So I sent them a similar letter.  No one mentioned anything about being miffed about not be told in person.

I did tell as many people as I could face to face, but it is not practical in all cases.

-Sandy

Out of the darkness, into the light.
Following my bliss.
I am complete...
  •  

Steph

I have to agree with Sandy.

The person to person approach is not always practical or possible.  I myself had to use a letter to tell my relatives with their being on the other side of the globe.  And you know what?  It worked out just great.

-={LR}=-
Enjoy life and be happy.  You won't be back.

WARNING: This body contains nudity, sexuality, and coarse language. Viewer discretion is advised. And I tend to rub folks the wrong way cause I say it as I see it...

http://www.facebook.com/switzerstephanie
  •  

JaimeFTW

I wrote a letter when I came out to my sister recently and it went just fine. I actually apologized for using a somewhat impersonal medium, but I explained that I wanted to articulate my thoughts clearly to her and get everything out that I needed to say. I sometimes stumble over my words when nervous, so for ME it was the right way to do it.

Diana, excellent letter! It was eerily similar to the one I wrote ;)
  •  

LordKAT

I agree that it is an excellent letter. May I use it also? It covers everything and says it clearly. If I got a letter like that, I would appreciate the time to assimilate the change.
  •  

Witch of Hope

All what I have to say is:

WELL DONE!!
  •  

Janet_Girl

Well written.  Similar to one I sent to my fellow workers.  And there is nothing wrong with telling in a letter, especially if there is some distance.

In person is better for those who you are very close to.

JMHO

Janet
  •  

Dana_W

Thanks for the feedback everyone. You all make a great sounding board!

As others have noted, doing this face to face is not always a possibility. I couldn't afford the travel budget for that even if I wanted to. The choices were down to the phone or a letter. When I came out to my sister on the phone (that was a couple of weeks ago) I babbled like an idiot. I wanted to be a bit more composed for telling people I've grown distant from over time.

I'm not really looking for help on the "should I use a letter or some other method" question. I'm well aware there are different opinions regarding the means of coming out. But as the letter has already been sent, please just accept that this was my judgment call.

So far I've gotten two responses. One by phone and one by e-mail. Both were incredibly positive. The e-mail one darned near made be cry... the good kind of cry. The offers of support were just... stunning. Way beyond anything I expected. There are still two more friends I've yet to hear back from.

It's the strangest feeling when this kind of thing is finally just... out there. I've had a really surreal feeling all day. But I'm really happy also. This is a good thing. But ask me again after I get my first rejection. I'm too much of a pessimist to expect only positive responses.

And LordKAT, or anyone else, feel free to use as much of it as you'd like. It feels good to me to know others think about this stuff in such a similar way.
  •  

Deanna_Renee

Hi Diana,

I have just come across this post and I really like the way you wrote the letter, it is clear and concise and to the point, while also showing you care about the readers feelings. I don't know if I would have been brave enough to come out and say that you are transitioning in the beginning, I would have saved it to further near the end.

Have you heard back from the other two yet? Were they also positively received? I have just sent a letter to my best friend (a bit longer than yours - 13 pages) and am hoping she will be supportive as well. I'm certain she will, but miss pessimist here has doubts.

Deanna
  •  

Dana_W

Deanna,

Thanks for the compliments about the letter.

Yes I did eventually hear back from the others I sent it to. It went well in all cases. Differently, but well. It's nice to go forward knowing you'll keep some friends along the way.

Compared to your 13 page approach, my example is surely less informative and specific. But I used my letter more as an invitation to talk further rather than trying to say it all in that format. And, in my case anyway, that's what happened.

My parents, on the other hand, were a whole different story. But that's for another post.

Diana
  •  

bernii

Sweetheart,

Your letter was honest, concise, and well written.

Thank you for sharing your letter. I am sure it helped many here.

I admire your courage.

I hope your transition goes very well.

With love

Brenda
  •  

Shana

Beautifully stated.

I can think of nothing harder on any of us, than to broach this to our loved-ones and put our hearts on the table. I am so glad things went well for you with your friends.
  •  

GDTripp

I think that is an EXCELLENT letter. I like it so much, I want to copy it.  ;) Can I modify it for my own use? I probably will keep very little of the original wording for my friends and parents, but it's very forthright and would work quite well for my extended family who are spread over the US.
  •  

Dana_W

Quote from: GDTripp on September 08, 2009, 02:27:23 AM
I think that is an EXCELLENT letter. I like it so much, I want to copy it.  ;) Can I modify it for my own use? I probably will keep very little of the original wording for my friends and parents, but it's very forthright and would work quite well for my extended family who are spread over the US.

Thanks GD. Feel free to use as much or as little as you'd like. It worked pretty well for me. Good luck!
  •