Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

How Spiritual Are We? - Parade Magazine Poll

Started by Julie Marie, October 04, 2009, 10:35:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julie Marie

Our nation was built on a foundation of strong faith, and in some respects, that hasn't changed. In fact, 69% of Americans believe in God, 77% pray outside of religious services, and 75% believe it's a parent's responsibility to give children a religious upbringing. But even though 45% of respondents called themselves religious, 50% said they rarely or never attend worship services.

What Americans are doing today is separating spirituality from religion, with many people disavowing organized practice altogether while privately maintaining some form of worship. The old terms—"atheist" and "agnostic"—are no longer catch-alls for everyone outside traditional belief. In fact, 24% of respondents put themselves into a whole new category: "spiritual but not religious."

A scant 12% of respondents said that their own religion was the only true faith, 12% said no religion has validity, and 59% said all religions are valid.

Although 51% of respondents said they pray daily, only 15% of those who pray said they do so because God expects them to. A much larger percentage (67%) said they pray because it brings them comfort and hope. What are they asking for? Lots of things—72% pray for the well-being of others, 60% for forgiveness, 27% for personal success, and 21% for money or other material things.

Considering Americans' tolerance and practicality, they might be expected to have soured on religion's role in international affairs. Here, respondents showed a balance of opinions—59% said faith can help solve the world's problems and offer hope to the suffering, while 41% said religion has too often led to war and suffering.

Does that mean religion and politics should mix? The answer was a decisive no. Just 15% thought religion should be a key factor in political decisions, while 58% said religion and politics should not mix at all.

Full Article
When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •  

tekla

I saw the Pope (J2P2) live on tour twice, first time I even went the mass he celebrated - that was a Living History Farms in Iowa, on his first tour, and another time his popemoble drove a block away from where I was so I went out and waved at him.  He waved back (to me and thousands of others).  Does that count?

and 59% said all religions are valid.
That's a pretty amazing stat though.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •