Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

HRT and Thyroid problems

Started by Sarra, September 29, 2006, 09:53:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sarra

I just recently talked to my therapist about getting a letter for HRT. He's writing it with me, to ensure accuracy.

I have, in history, had thyroid problems. I'm also bipolar, and the medication I've been taking has been partially sucessful.

Question one, should I let my therapist mention the thyroid problems in the letter, or omit them? Second, should the thyroid problems have any effect on HRT, or should I just not worry about that?

Seeing how i'm moving out and only working part time, I think it might take me a few months to get enough money for an appointement and the actual cost of the pills, so this may be a bit moot. >_<
  •  

BrandiOK

I second what Tinkerbell said......

The thyroid gland is a part of your endocrine system and creates it's own type of hormone.  Anytime you are considering altering the natural hormonal balance with HRT you should definately consider an existing condition of the endocrine system.  The VERY BEST thing you can do is divulge ALL of your health issues or concerns with with your endocrinologist.   Your doctor needs to "fit" your HRT to your specific health conditions so being honest with him/her is the best thing you can do for yourself.  :)

•  

Buffy

Hi Sarra,

To me this comes under the heading of "No Brainer'.....

Never hide any medical condition from medical professionals, especially when it involves HRT.

Honesty up front is always the best option.

Buffy
  •  

Sarra

It gets complicated, because the endocrinologist I was seeing about my thyroid problems was as forthcoming about what exactly was happening as a brick. Communication with him was one way. All I had was little sheets saying that such and such level was high, and then 2 weeks later, the same levels were reversed. My current therapist called him and asked for an answer, and got a "well, it's possibly thyroiditis" or something like that, and after a few months of monitoring, including uptake scans and imaging, he still didn't have any kind of answer as to what had happened. My levels have been "normal" for the past 6 months +.

What would I be telling the doctor who will perscribe my HRT? I had some odd fluctuations in my thyroid levels, and sex hormone levels, and nobody knows what's going on? I'm sick of people sticking my arm and drawing blood, then spending money to get it analyzed, only to be told "we don't know what's going on" one month, and "you're normal" the next month. If there was a diagnosis, I would tell the HRT percribing doctor in a heartbeat.

My thyroid itself was enlarged (called a goiter) during the tests, weather my levels were high or low (T3 is converted into T4, yet my T3 would be very low and my T4 very high one month, and then T3 would be high and T4 low the next month), and now that I've been "normal" for 6 months, my goiter is more painful, larger, and worse than it was before, when my levels were out of whack.

The other problem is, the doctor I'm going to get HRT from is 300 miles away. They aren't covered under my insurance. I can have blood labs done, my local endoc, while he might not have any bedside manners at all, is willing to work with her for local testing, since, believe it or not, HRT blood level monitoring would be covered by my insurance. o.O;

If you can't tell, I was left frusterated and confused by the entire thyroid thing. I don't want additional frusteration of going up to the new doctor, saying "hi", then being told I'd have to get blood labs done and come back in 2 weeks. I can't afford that, and if my thyroid endoc is correct, my thyroid has been "perfectly normal" for over a year now, even though it's still swollen and painful (the circumfrence of my neck is almost 17 inches).
  •  

BrandiOK

YIKES!! Is there no other endocrinologist closer than 300 miles??

From what you said I'm not sure I would be comfortable with a doctor who doesn't communicate with his patients any better than you talked about.  Any endocrinologist is well trained in the aspects of HRT, they do all the time for GG women.  The differences in HRT for TS and GG women are minimal so that shouldn't be an issue.  The only issue I could think of is perhaps a personal conflict a doctor may have with TS patients but I haven't run into that yet. 

I was fortunate that my endo was very experienced and had several TS girls as patients.  I would have most certainly chosen an endo who wasn't experienced with the TS aspect of HRT than drive 300 miles for one that was.  Depending on tests and such that may include several trips back and forth in a short period of time.

I don't know your particular situation so I'm speaking generally here...I hope everything works out for ya' Sarra  :)
  •  

Sarra

Quote from: BrandiOK on September 30, 2006, 11:05:41 AM
   YIKES!! Is there no other endocrinologist closer than 300 miles??

From what you said I'm not sure I would be comfortable with a doctor who doesn't communicate with his patients any better than you talked about.  Any endocrinologist is well trained in the aspects of HRT, they do all the time for GG women.  The differences in HRT for TS and GG women are minimal so that shouldn't be an issue.  The only issue I could think of is perhaps a personal conflict a doctor may have with TS patients but I haven't run into that yet. 

I was fortunate that my endo was very experienced and had several TS girls as patients.  I would have most certainly chosen an endo who wasn't experienced with the TS aspect of HRT than drive 300 miles for one that was.  Depending on tests and such that may include several trips back and forth in a short period of time.

I don't know your particular situation so I'm speaking generally here...I hope everything works out for ya' Sarra  :)

My local endo, the one I saw for thyroid problems, specializes in Thyroid, Osteoperosis, and Diabetes. He hasn't ever perscribed estrogen for women, much less a transsexual or intersexed person!

The doctor i'm going to be seeing that's 300 miles away, is the closest doctor I can find with experience in HRT. My local endo has voiced his attempt to support me locally by doing blood labs and working with the doctor 300 miles away.
  •  

BrandiOK

Ah....that sucks.  I've never seen an endo who hasn't dealt with HRT in at least GG's as part of thier practice.  It's great that your local endo will do all the blood work and tests so you don't have to drive that far back and forth at least. 

Do you live in the US Sarra? I know we have chatted in the chat room but I lose track of where everyone is from LOL.
  •  

Sarra

•  

Melissa

Hi Sarra, judging from where you told me you're located in the chat room previouslyand the doc being 300 miles away, I would guess you're going to see the same Doctor I go to.  She is the biggest TS doctor in the US.  Don't worry, she's good and she'll do whatever she can to help you get on HRT.

Melissa
  •  

Sarra

Yeah... I seriously need HRT, I'm starting to go nuts without it. It's just time to start.

From what I read, estrogen is supposed to help calm the thyroid down when it does what mine was doing... Ironic.
  •