Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

One good blade vs 6...others?

Started by Bellaon7, November 19, 2009, 12:51:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bellaon7

Does anyone use & know how to keep maintane(yes, I can not spell good) a straight razor?
  •  

SusanKC

Yes, far away from the throat.

Actually, never had one, but they do require maintainence, including what I think is called strouping, the use of a leather strap to maintain the edge.  I'm sure there is periodic sharpening, maybe with a stone.
Check with a local barbershop that has an older barber.  There may be a few around that can still shave with one and may have some knowledge to share.  I haven't seen it, but the movie Sweeny Todd may have some helpful hints as well.   :o

SusanKG

•  

jesse

shivers at the thought of anything that lethal near her neck
jessica
like a knife that cuts you the wound heals but them scars those scars remain
  •  

tekla

More information than you need...

http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/sharpen/instrazor.html

The dedicated user faces the impossible task to collect contradictory information from several more or less reliable sources which all suffer from the fact that almost nothing of the theory which came down with generations has been published for future reference. In fact, the art of straight razor use and care is an example of lost knowledge.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Bellaon7

Quote from: tekla on November 19, 2009, 07:55:48 AM
More information than you need...

http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/sharpen/instrazor.html

The dedicated user faces the impossible task to collect contradictory information from several more or less reliable sources which all suffer from the fact that almost nothing of the theory which came down with generations has been published for future reference. In fact, the art of straight razor use and care is an example of lost knowledge.
Sharpening is not an issue for me as I already something called a Tormeck Supergrind which allows highly precise sharpening & a leather honing wheel. I have no experience actually using a straight & was wondering if was worth the bother for the ocasional leg hair in the closeness factor compared to disposables. I've had permanent hair removal every where else.
  •  

tekla

I bet a really good trac razor would do better than a straight razor.  Besides, I keep my straight razor all tuned up for people who keep me waiting.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Bellaon7

Quote from: tekla on November 19, 2009, 06:37:55 PM
I bet a really good trac razor would do better than a straight razor.  Besides, I keep my straight razor all tuned up for people who keep me waiting.
Cool, pity the tardy!
  •  

Dana Lane

The skin on my face is so soft and fragile I can't use a non-electric razor period. I cut myself to shreds now.
============
Former TS Separatist who feels deep regret
http://www.transadvocate.com/category/dana-taylor
  •  

AweSAM!

Quote from: Dana Lane on November 19, 2009, 07:20:32 PM
The skin on my face is so soft and fragile I can't use a non-electric razor period. I cut myself to shreds now.

I hope this doesn't happen to me on HRT, but if it does, then I guess I'll be switching to electric until laser hair removal can be completed. I have always had very resilient skin on my face, allow me to explain. I never have used shaving cream, call me insane, but it has never worked well for me, and I always cut myself numerous times whenever I decide to try using it. My skin seems pretty thick and my generic 2-blade razor always does a good job without destroying my face. Dana, from your experience, it sounds brutal with a non-electric razor. I hope this doesn't happen to me on HRT, but if it does, then I guess I'll be switching to electric until laser hair removal can be completed.