Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Do you play an instrument...

Started by Hannah, December 08, 2009, 06:12:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tekla

If my momory serves me correctly, Paul McCartney and George Harrison played uke as well.

While I don't know about your Mom, my memory serves me that Paul McCartney, who could have had about half of the women in the world, got married to Heather Mills.  'Nuff said.  But if you need more, one word: Wings.  OK, still not enough?  He let Linda sing in Wings.  Sure she was turned way down (well below the range of human hearing) in the mix, still...

And Uni is great.  She just loves doing it so much you can't but help going to that happy place yourself.  She does lots, and lots, and lots (because she is easy and requires no equipment) of events/parties/things/salons in SF.  And she travels the world going into some of the most dive bars in some of the worst places and does what she does and everybody loves her.  I know there is vid tape of her playing the Fillmore, so I asked her why that wasn't on Utube instead of that really bad Helsinki deal I posted above, her reply was: "Everyone has Filmore tapes, I played Helsinki."  So there you have it.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Randi

Tekla you're dissing one of my heroes >:-)

Paul and his band Wings stayed near my home in Tennessee early on while recording in Nashville. He really is a great guy to talk to and be around. And he does play the ukulele as well as several other instruments. Most musicians would not want their spouse to go on the road with them-I admire him for that.

I like the guitar in your pic. I play my gibsons more than the others and have a strat body Epi that sounds and plays as well as my Les Paul. I use it for my backup and for bright tones it is my #1-even better than my strat-thru both my 50 watt Marshall (4x12s)and my 45 watt Boogie (4x10s).
  •  

Robin.

I play everything  ^-^

Not really...i don't have that many instruments, but i can pick up most instruments and do something with them...

Mostly, I play piano and guitar. i have taken lessons before, for piano at least, but I always found them to slow or boring so I have mostly taught myself. I've found that once you figure out the scales you can play just about anything, at least within that specific scale. i'm not amazing at transitioning between scales though...

I like piano alot and do random classical style stuff, but i havn't had alot of time to practice. I usually end up playing guitar instead because i am just better at it and more practiced. Every now and then i'll do something heavy metal but I'm better doing the blues or steve ray vaughn type stuff. i rarly play someone elses stuff, i just improvise, its to tiresome to learn something by tabs. Maybe when I have more time i'll learn some stuff by ear though. I do like to just play along with a song though, adding my own stuff.

•  

Alyssa M.

I'm self-taught on piano, and can play reasonably euphoniously. I prefer 19th century romanticism because it tends to be fairly forgiving of mistakes and can take rubato. It's my main instrument.

I'm almost entirely self-taught on guitar as well, though I took a few lessons after I had already gotten the basic hang of it. I play some classical (Fernando Sor studies and the like), but mostly just jam away at pop/folk/blues/etc. that you can sing along to.

I sing a lot. I've been in at least two choirs for most of the last decade. I sing tenor mostly, and it kind of kills me. Definitely a dysphoric experience, but singing is such a euphoric experience that it works out. At least I don't have to wear bloody tuxedos any more. But it's weird being the one woman singing tenor. It's not just that the parts are gendered, but a lot of music (about half of the vocal music Brahms ever wrote, for instance) is highly gendered in subject and form. Choir directors have an understandable but annoying tendency to say things like, "Men! I want to hear you from your entrance at measure 59!" Like I said, dysphoric. I'm working on the upper part of my range so that one day I might be able to sing alto without it being a stretch.

When I was little I took lessons in violin -- eight years in total -- and I stopped because it was just too damned hard. I regret it somewhat, and definitely want to have another go at it. I think it's the most beautiful instrument there is. But it is so unforgiving. Everything from tone to phrasing to intonation is difficult, and it sounds awful when you mess any of them up.

--

When I'm not totally down in the dumps, any instrument will do as a wonderful way to relax and open up and let go of whatever is bothering me. When I'm really down, though, it's awfully hard to play. There was a movie, "Elephant," that was more or less about the Columbine shooting, and there was a scene where one of the shooters plays most of Für Elise, and then stops abruptly, banging out a some dissonant notes. I'm not sure how other people saw that, but to me it was immediately obvious the way he was looking to music for some succor, but couldn't maintain the concentration to play an instrument.
All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another.

- Anatole France
  •  

LordKAT

The green-eyed monster is whispering, If only I had been allowed to learn.....
  •  

V M

Mostly guitar. Have also played bass and drums. Messed about with piano and flute
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

CynthiaAnn

Quote from: Hannah on December 08, 2009, 06:12:53 PM
...and does it make you feel better?

Do you play anything? Is it rewarding for you on an emotional level or just something you do for fun?

digging into the classic TS posts today and found this....

Yes it does make me feel better. It's very rewarding emotionally and spiritually. I love to channel creative energy, and yes it's fun....

Bass guitar primary instrument, secondary would be guitar and keyboards...

C -
  •  

Kylo

Piano, yeah it's stress management... or used to be when I played more
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Devlyn

•  

Kirsteneklund7

Quote from: Devlyn on May 18, 2019, 01:42:57 PM
Does the male organ count?  >:-) [emoji23]
Question; What is worse than a lobster on your piano ?

Answer ; A crab on your organ!

Now that was a bad joke, but my timing was impeccable.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

As a child prayed to be a girl- now the prayer is being answered - 40 years later !
  •  

KathyLauren

I play tenor sax in a concert band.

I used to play hammered dulcimer, but I would need a lot of practice to take it up again.  I made a CD of dulcimer music back in the day, but I'd have to relabel and repackage the discs I have left, since they are all in my dead name.

And a long, long time ago, I played clarinet in high school and in the base band when I was in the Air Force.

My mother tried to teach me the piano when I was little, but she wasn't a good teacher and I wasn't a good student.  I never did learn to read more than one note at a time.  I am not bad reading single parts, like for wind instruments.

On the hammered dulcimer, you can play two notes at once, since you have a hammer in each hand, but you can't read music and play the instrument at the same time.  All my learning on that instrument was done by ear and muscle memory.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •