Main Menu

Transgender Appointee to Department of Commerce

Started by Shana A, January 01, 2010, 08:24:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shana A

Transgender Appointee to Department of Commerce
Filed by: Dr. Jillian T. Weiss
December 31, 2009 3:00 PM

http://www.bilerico.com/2009/12/transgender_appointee_to_department_of_commerce.php

The National Center for Transgender Equality announced today, Thursday, that Amanda Simpson, Simpson Amanda.jpga transgender woman with thirty years of experience in the aerospace industry, has been appointed by the Obama Administration as a Senior Technical Advisor to the Department of Commerce. She will be working in the Bureau of Industry and Security.

The press release from NCTE notes that this is one of the first transgender presidential appointees to the federal government.

This is big news indeed.
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

Butterfly

Amanda Simpson Appointed Senior Technical Advisor For The U.S. Bureau Of Industry And Security
Pam's House Blend
by:  Autumn Sandeen
Fri Jan 01, 2010 at 13:30:00 PM EST

http://www.pamshouseblend.com/diary/14671/amanda-simpson-appointed-senior-technical-advisor-for-the-us-bureau-of-industry-and-security

Amanda Simpson was the first transgender candidate I'd ever communicated with personally. We ended up emailing each other after I donated $35 to that 2004 campaign. Hey, as a then poor trans woman, $35 was a whole lot of money for me at the time -- as I recall, it was the first political campaign I'd ever contributed to. I donated to her campaign not only because I liked her politics, but her candidacy and her life story were inspiring to me. And, for the record, she treated me with respect and kindness in her emails when I was completely unknown with in the trans community, or in the broader lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community.
  •  

Marie731

What ashame.

Why couldn't she just be an accomplished woman and leave it at that? Why the need to append the "transgender" to herself, politicizing it all, reinforcing the prejudice that we're not "real" women, but rather some odd variant?
  •  

K8

Quote from: Marie731 on January 01, 2010, 02:36:23 PM
What ashame.

Why couldn't she just be an accomplished woman and leave it at that? Why the need to append the "transgender" to herself, politicizing it all, reinforcing the prejudice that we're not "real" women, but rather some odd variant?

I don't know.  If we always hide in the woodwork, how will we ever be accepted?  I've had a number of people remark to me that they are surprised I am so "normal".  If the only trans people they ever heard about were strange, how would they ever change their opinion?

I look forward to the day when being trans is noted in one's description just as being born in Connecticut or having attended Central High School are - almost inconsequential.  But we aren't there yet, and it takes a bunch of us being out to get there.

- Kate
Life is a pilgrimage.
  •  

Marie731

Quote from: K8 link=topic=70244.msg477739#msg47773 9 date=1262384199
I don't know.  If we always hide in the woodwork, how will we ever be accepted?

IMHO, by just living our lives and not making a point of our history, either by hiding it OR politicizing it. It just is what it is.

Personally, I hate it when people "accept" or "support" me. I know they mean well, and in the beginning of my transition when I was scared and insecure it felt good to hear.

These days though, I find it annoying when someone finds out about my past and "supports" me. I usually look at them confused, and mention "Well, I support your being female (or male) too!" lol.

We can never just BE normal women/men as long as we're "accepted" as transgender women/men.
  •  

K8

Quote from: Marie731 on January 01, 2010, 04:36:01 PM
IMHO, by just living our lives and not making a point of our history, either by hiding it OR politicizing it. It just is what it is.

I don't think she was appointed because she is transgendered.  She was appointed for her skills and connections.  She just happens to be transgendered.

When a Latina is appointed to a high position, the Latino/Latina community celebrates that "one of theirs" was appointed.  The news release from the transgendered community celebrating Simpson's appointment is the same.

I am open as a transsexual.  (I live in a small town - I don't have a choice. ::))  It is one aspect of many that make me who I am.  If I made the news, it would probably be noted that I am transsexual, but very probably my being transsexual would not be why I made the news.  We are who we are - no more and no less.

- Kate
Life is a pilgrimage.
  •  

Shana A

Friday, January 01, 2010
Amanda Simpson Makes History
Posted by Monica Roberts at 9:46 PM

http://transgriot.blogspot.com/2010/01/amanda-simpson-makes-history.html

Amanda Simpson is no stranger to making transgender history. In 2004 she won the Democratic nomination for an Arizona House of Representatives seat but narrowly lost that bid to become the first transperson elected to a state legislative body.

She made history in another way by becoming the first transgender presidential appointee.

Simpson has been appointed by the Obama Administration as a Senior Technical Advisor to the Department of Commerce. She'll be working in the Bureau of Industry and Security.

•  

Marie731

Quote from: K8 on January 01, 2010, 05:35:30 PM
I don't think she was appointed because she is transgendered.  She was appointed for her skills and connections.  She just happens to be transgendered.

"I'm truly honored to have received this appointment and am eager and excited about this opportunity that is before me," said Simpson. "And at the same time, as one of the first transgender presidential appointees..."

"I was hoping that the 2010's would be a decade that results in an avalanche of groundbreaking 'firsts' and universal recognition of our human rights for the transgender community..."

She has also been very active in political and community groups. She has served on the Board of Directors of two national organizations: Out & Equal and NCTE. In Arizona, she has been on the board of Wingspan, the Southern Arizona Gender Alliance...

She's obviously very talented and fully deserves recognition of her skills. But she's also self-promoting her "transgender" status, creating the impression of a third sex or community that needs special recognition and rights beyond that of ordinary accomplished women.

Personally, I'd be mortified and angry if a newspaper mentioned my past in an article about my professional successes. Not because I'm ashamed of it, but rather because it's just not relevant.
  •  

Butterfly

Amanda Simpson Makes History
Transgriot
By Monica Roberts
01 January, 2009

http://transgriot.blogspot.com/2010/01/amanda-simpson-makes-history.html

Amanda Simpson is no stranger to making transgender history. In 2004 she won the Democratic nomination for an Arizona House of Representatives seat but narrowly lost that bid to become the first transperson elected to a state legislative body.
  •  

Allamakee

Quote from: Marie731 on January 02, 2010, 08:26:19 AM
Personally, I'd be mortified and angry if a newspaper mentioned my past in an article about my professional successes. Not because I'm ashamed of it, but rather because it's just not relevant.
Yes, me too.  However, such is the state of our culture.  40 years ago a similar distinction might have been made about an African-American individual selected for such a position. Of course, such things are not relevant to the work we do, but because our culture is backwards and needs to grow, noting such growth is necessary, I think.
  •  

Shana A

Amanda Simpson: A Transgender Rocket Scientist Goes to Washington

Joanne Herman
Posted: January 4, 2010 04:47 PM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joanne-herman/amanda-simpson-a-transgen_b_410400.html

Defense industry veteran Amanda Simpson of Tuscon, Arizona, who really is a rocket scientist, was just appointed by President Obama to the Department of Commerce's Bureau of Industry and Security as a senior technical advisor. Her job will include managing exports of dual use technology as well as conducting press and media liaison work for the agency.

Simpson is highly qualified for the position. She has worked in the aerospace and defense industry for 30 years, most recently serving as Deputy Director in Advanced Technology Development at Raytheon Missile Systems. She holds degrees in physics, engineering and business administration, and is a certified flight instructor and test pilot with 20 years of experience.

•  

june bug

The pride that comes from being transgender is in regards to facing and overcoming extreme adversity that a lot of women never have to face.

In that regard, I think it's important that trans-women (and men) be recognized as such, especially when reaching places of high regard, because they are facing a life most can't begin to understand, but by hearing more of their stories, more people will at least begin to be able to!  :icon_boogy:
  •  

Shana A

Equality key for transgender woman
By Patty Machelor
ARIZONA DAILY STAR
Tucson, Arizona | Published: 01.05.2010

http://www.azstarnet.com/business/323900

Amanda Simpson wishes being transgender didn't matter when discussing her new job with the Obama administration.
But as one of the first transgender appointees to the federal government, Simpson, 48, said the fact she was "Mitch" before becoming Amanda is relevant if only to illustrate the need for greater equality.
"I think to some extent it shouldn't mean much at all, but on the other hand it does," Simpson said during a telephone interview Monday from Washington, D.C. Simpson moved recently after living in Tucson for 15 years.

----------------------

O taps sex-change gal for security post

Taps sex-change gal for security post

By GEOFF EARLE, Post Correspondent
Last Updated: 7:09 AM, January 5, 2010

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/obama_you_da_ex_man_QiJ6wYcEHiwB4QeAOsB9AP

WASHINGTON -- It's a "sex change" we can believe in.

President Obama has appointed Amanda Simpson, a woman who used to be a man, to a Commerce Department security post -- which would make her the highest-level transgender person chosen by a president.

---------------

Obama appoints first openly transgender person to post
by Lisa Keen
contributing writer
Monday Jan 4, 2010

http://www.baywindows.com/index.php?ch=news&sc=glbt&sc2=news&sc3=&id=100651

Amanda Simpson starts work this week as the first presidentially appointed transgender person to the executive branch of any administration.

The Obama administration in November appointed Simpson, a member of the National Center for Transgender Equality board of directors, to a post at the Department of Commerce.

--------------------

Conservative Christians denounce transgender Amanda Simpson appointment
Monday, January 04 2010 19:08 | By D. Scriber

http://dscriber.com/home/944-conservative-christians-denounce-amanda-simpson-appointment.html

amanda_simpson_ad1If you are part of the gay, lesbian, bi, and trans community -- or just cheering for them -- perhaps you were wincing when you learned today that Amanda Simpson has become "one of the first transgender" presidential picks for service to the federal government. Well, wince no more. The attack you expected has come, predictably from conservative Christians.

Peter LaBarbera, president of Americans for Truth, a "national organization devoted exclusively to exposing and countering the homosexual activist agenda," is wondering if there is some sort of "transgender quota" in the Barack Obama administration. "How far does this politics of gay and transgender activism go?" he said. "Clearly this is an administration that is pandering to the gay lobby."

-------------------

What will Limbaugh and the GOP think of Obama's transgender appointment?
January 4, 6:27 PM
Sarah Friedman

http://www.examiner.com/x-16438-Minneapolis-Young-Democrat-Examiner~y2010m1d4-What-will-Limbaugh-and-the-GOP-think-of-Obamas-transgender-appointment

President Obama has made the first transgender appointment of his administration with the announcement that Amanda Simpson will be working in the Bureau of Industry and Security as a Senior Technical Advisor to the Commerce Department.

Ms. Simpson, who used to be a man, is a former test pilot for Raytheon Missile Systems. The appointment, which came during the typically quiet news period between Christmas and New Year's, hasn't generated much news coverage or right-wing radio jokes as of yet, but with Rush Limbaugh out of the hospital after experiencing chest pains last week in Hawaii, there is little doubt that he will find a way to weave Ms. Simpson into his daily barrage of nastiness.

-------------------

Obama makes history with transgender appointment
January 4, 2:23 PM
Sara Kost

http://www.examiner.com/x-32369-Minneapolis-Civil-Rights-Examiner~y2010m1d4-Obama-makes-history-with-transgender-appointment

President Barack Obama just made history again by appointing Amanda Simpson, a transgender woman, to be the Senior Technical Advisor to the Department of Commerce.

In a statement, Simpson said, "I'm truly honored to have received this appointment and am eager and excited about this opportunity that is before me. And at the same time, as one of the first transgender presidential appointees to the federal government, I hope that I will soon be one of hundreds, and that this appointment opens future opportunities for many others."

--------------------

Transgender appointment is 'political correctness run amok,' critic charges

http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/transgender_appointment_is_political_correctness_run_amok_critic_charges/

Washington D.C., Jan 5, 2010 / 07:35 pm (CNA).- President Obama recently appointed a "transgendered" man as a Senior Technical Adviser to the U.S. Department of Commerce. Amanda Simpson, a former test pilot for Raytheon who now identifies himself as female, will serve in the Bureau of Industry and Security. Critics of the appointment argue that it is "political correctness run amok."

---------------------------

First Transgender Presidential Appointee Fears Being Labeled 'Token'
Amanda Simpson Says It Was Her Merits, Not Gender Identity, That Got Her Commerce Job
By RUSSELL GOLDMAN
Jan. 5, 2010

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/amanda-simpson-transgender-presidential-appointee-begins-work-commerce/story?id=9477161

For Amanda Simpson, believed to be America's first openly transgender presidential appointee, the job she starts Tuesday in the U.S. Commerce Department is an honor and the culmination of a career dedicated to understanding military technology.

But what gnaws at her, she says, is the fear of being labeled a token who was hired because of her sexual identity rather than on her merits.

"Being the first sucks," she told ABC News.com. "I'd rather not be the first but someone has to be first, or among the first. I think I'm experienced and very well qualified to deal with anything that might show up because I've broken barriers at lots of other places and I always win people over with who I am and what I can do."

--------------------------

Christian group wants 'self-mutilating' Obama appointee fired

By Daniel Tencer
Friday, January 8th, 2010 -- 3:50 pm

http://rawstory.com/2010/01/christian-groups-slams-selfmutilating-obama-appointee/

The conservative American Family Association is calling on President Barack Obama to fire Amanda Simpson, Obama's transgender appointee to the Commerce Department, because the appointment "puts the weight of the federal government behind the normalization of sexual deviancy."

"'Amanda' is a biological male in every cell of his body, and no amount of surgical mutilation is ever going to change that," AFA President Tim Wildmon said in a press release circulated Thursday. "It's a mistake for our president to appoint such a sexually confused individual to a position of public responsibility."

•