Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Thinking too much

Started by aubrey, December 24, 2009, 05:51:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aubrey

They say the unexamined life is not worth living...to that I say the overexamined life is not really life but a simulation.

I'm tired of over thinking everything. How about y'all?
  •  

jesse

like a knife that cuts you the wound heals but them scars those scars remain
  •  

Miniar

tbh, I'd rather think too much than too little ;)

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

Alexie

Too much of anything is not a good thing.
But one must always be open to explore and examine as much as one possibly can.
That is as much a part of the human condition as it is a part of living.

Alexie.
"On the plains of hesitation lay the bleached bones of millions
Who at the dawn of victory sat down and waited
And in waiting died"
(George Cecil - 1923)
  •  

Bombi

Try meditation. It can work as a filter for your thoughts. The unimportant ones leave and the others can be resolved when transcending. no lie.
Yes there is really bigender people
  •  

Janet_Girl

I quit overthinking and just go with my intuition.

Janet
  •  

aubrey

I'm not saying don't examine or learn, but it often leads to overexamining for me.

If one tries to find a balance....that requires more discursive thought.

If you're thinking about not thinking it is still thinking (but it's fun to do). The best seems to be to give up the whole game altogether.

Quote from: Bombi on December 24, 2009, 06:47:52 AM
Try meditation. It can work as a filter for your thoughts. The unimportant ones leave and the others can be resolved when transcending. no lie.

In theory I agree. But when I've meditated

1) thoughts become more pronounced, then

2) if they do quiet, they are still there but more subtle, like impressions or flickers of energy, but they still shield me from reality, and the "I" is still there. The disposition to name and label is still there.

Quote from: Janet Lynn on December 24, 2009, 12:57:30 PM
I quit overthinking and just go with my intuition.

Janet

^this. Sounds good to me :) The only way I've found a balance so far is with action, like intense heart pounding dancing, exercise, work, playing an instrument etc....it's like trying to drive through a heavy fog at 100mph but on the other side is....good times.

•  

Bombi

quote................In theory I agree. But when I've meditated

1) thoughts become more pronounced, then

2) if they do quiet, they are still there but more subtle, like impressions or flickers of energy, but they still shield me from reality, and the "I" is still there. The disposition to name and label is still there:

Do you use a mantra? I doTM and repeat a mantra. Thoughts come into my mind and if they are important they occupy my mind untill I remember to repeat my mantra. The minor, unimportant ones seem to drift away more quickly than the trival. I also see colors in my mind, colors of all kinds. I have come to associate purple and yellow as a sign that I'm getting deep and transending .About 20 minutes twice a day works to keep my mind focused on the important stuff and either clears out all the minor subjective stuff or files it away for later contemplation.

The benefits of regular meditation are well documented.
Yes there is really bigender people
  •  

lisagurl

Inspiration can never be too much.
  •  

fluffy jorgen

Quote from: lisagurl on December 25, 2009, 11:59:30 AM
Inspiration can never be too much.

Seconded.

Meditation, reiki, massages and other various techniques help but usually I just fall asleep. ;D
  •