Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Buffy Vs. Edward Cullen - No means no!

Started by Autumn, December 06, 2009, 03:08:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autumn

QuoteIn this re-imagined narrative, Edward Cullen from the Twilight Series meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It's an example of transformative storytelling serving as a pro-feminist visual critique of Edward's character and generally creepy behavior. Seen through Buffy's eyes, some of the more sexist gender roles and patriarchal Hollywood themes embedded in the Twilight saga are exposed - in hilarious ways. Ultimately this remix is about more than a decisive showdown between the slayer and the sparkly vampire. It also doubles as a metaphor for the ongoing battle between two opposing visions of gender roles in the 21ist century.

• Read my post on why I made this remix via WIMN:
http://www.wimnonline.org/WIMNsVoicesBlog/?p=1272

I would personally go to youtube directly and watch it in a much higher resolution.

•  

Nero

Really interesting. Thanks. A bit over my head as I've never seen Twilight or Buffy the Slayer. An interpretation would be great.  ;D
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Just Kate

Masterful and amazing!  So appropriate.  Do you have the straight youtube link?
Ill no longer be defined by my condition. From now on, I'm just, Kate.

http://autumnrain80.blogspot.com
  •  

Hannah

•  

Lachlann

I've seen this so many times before. I love Buffy, haha.
Don't be scared to fly alone, find a path that is your own
Love will open every door it's in your hands, the world is yours
Don't hold back and always know, all the answers will unfold
What are you waiting for, spread your wings and soar
  •  

Hannah

"Are you sure it's not just a fanboy thing because I've fought lots of overweight pimply vampires calling themselves Lestat."

Oh god I'm still laughing, Buffy was so awesome. People tend to read so much into that character that it makes it harder to just enjoy the wonderful story. I admit though it's an interesting topic for discussion.
  •  

Autumn

Quote from: interalia on December 07, 2009, 01:21:07 PM
Masterful and amazing!  So appropriate.  Do you have the straight youtube link?

Doubleclick embedded videos when they're playing and it goes to youtube. And at the end of videos are links, too.

Basically, 10 years ago teenage girls had Buffy as a strong female role model who was going through high school, and eventually college. She dealt with a lot of >-bleeped-<, like living a secret life and having to juggle that, and her friendships, and attempts at relationships, oh and actual school too.

And she wasn't being protected at every turn by some horribly abusive boyfriend (only for a few episodes here and there....) She screwed up, she lost people, bad things happened.

I don't >-bleeped-< on my brain by reading twilight, but many opinion pieces have been written about the damage to the collective self-image and self-esteem that Bella inflicts on female youth by being torn between two controlling, abusive lovers - which is one of the inspirations for this remix, the contrast (which is why the colors weren't corrected.) You can read those if you want.

Also vampires don't sparkle in the sunlight.
  •  

daisybelle

And the major piece missing in the twilight series the amazing repartee that Buffy dishes by the load full.

Putting aside the controlling issue, whoa on the depression.  Life sucks and then you die.... no this story says you get to be a vamp.   And what about poor Jacob.   She drops him like a rabid dog, just as soon as Edward is back in the picture.

Daisy

•  

Hannah

That was really well put Autumn, thank you.
  •  

LynnER

WOOHOO!!! The glittery sparkly faux-vampire dies!!!    Sorry, I firmly believe that twilight is going to cause the downfall of a generation... Some have compared it to harry potter, but atleast potter had a soul...
  •  

Lachlann

I don't mind that it's a different take on vampires, because really, variation can be good. I'm just sickened by the bad message it gives to women.
Don't be scared to fly alone, find a path that is your own
Love will open every door it's in your hands, the world is yours
Don't hold back and always know, all the answers will unfold
What are you waiting for, spread your wings and soar
  •  

Luc

Buffy the Vampire Slayer was the greatest show of all time. Case closed.
"If you want to criticize my methods, fine. But you can keep your snide remarks to yourself, and while you're at it, stop criticizing my methods!"

Check out my blog at http://hormonaldivide.blogspot.com
  •  

FairyGirl

Quote from: Sebastien on December 11, 2009, 07:56:37 PM
Buffy the Vampire Slayer was the greatest show of all time. Case closed.

Absolutely agreed!! That's my girl! Ha!
Girls rule, boys drool.
If I keep a green bough in my heart, then the singing bird will come.
  •