Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Trans guy banned from Facebook after uploading post-op chest pic

Started by Butterfly, January 14, 2010, 05:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butterfly

Trans guy banned from Facebook after uploading post-op chest pic
Xtra.ca
By Jenn Ruddy
14 January, 2010

http://www.xtra.ca/public/National/Trans_guy_banned_from_Facebook_after_uploading_postop_chest_pic-8085.aspx

UPDATE, 3:08pm: Dominic Scaia just tweeted to say that Facebook has reactivated his account. "They've reinstated my account, but they maintain that the photos were against the TOS [terms of service]." Scaia adds that Facebook "won't let me re-upload the photos, or I'll get in trouble again."

Scaia sent Xtra the email he received from Facebook. Here it is:

"Photo content that you uploaded has been removed for violating Facebook's Statement of Rights and Responsibilities. Photos containing nudity or other graphic or sexually suggestive content are not allowed. Unfortunately, for technical reasons, we are unable to provide further information about the removed content.
  •  

Allamakee

Facebook "re-evaluates" decision to censor trans man's post-op chest pics
Xtra.ca
by Jenn Ruddy
January 15, 2010

http://www.xtra.ca/public/National/Facebook_reevaluates_decision_to_censor_trans_mans_postop_chest_pics-8127.aspx

In a partial victory yesterday, Facebook reinstated Scaia's account after he was banned on Dec 20, but the site warned Scaia not to reupload his post-op chest pics because they violated the terms of service for containing "nudity or other graphic or sexually suggestive content."

But since yesterday, Facebook has changed its tone. In an email sent to Xtra on Friday evening, a Facebook spokesperson had this to say:

"I went back to our team here to ensure that we were being consistent in our review, and upon further consideration, the team has concluded that the photos do not violate our standards for graphic imagery and can be allowed.
  •