Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Parents upset over revised school puberty book

Started by Butterfly, January 30, 2010, 04:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butterfly

Parents upset over revised school puberty book
The Chronicle Herald
By CLARE MELLOR and DAVENE JEFFREY Staff Reporters
Sat. Jan 30 - 4:53 AM

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1165063.html

Public health nurses spurred the inclusion of some of the new content after finding that material about sexual orientation and gender identity was lacking in the booklet.

"It can be a really challenging time for youth as they go through puberty, and typically the resources that we see . . . are exclusive of youth who are questioning their sexual orientation," Ms. Tobin said. "In addition, puberty is a difficult time for transgender youth, whose bodies may be manifesting in a way different from how they feel inside. It was very important to validate those experiences."
  •  

Nero

"The booklet has been in use in Nova Scotia for about eight years, but some parents are fuming over changes made just over a year ago to include information about sexual orientation and gender identity and also about female sexual arousal. (Material on male sexual arousal has always been part of the booklet.)"

I love that they included female sexual arousal as well as gender identity and sexual orientation. There was no information about sexual responses and arousal of the female body provided when I was growing up. Even though I was male, I had female genitals and none of the arousal changes of the female body were ever explained in school books or talked about, even though there was plenty about male erections and masturbation. I had no guide to changes in my body during arousal and this increased confusion and shame during said arousal. I guess some parents in Nova Scotia would rather their daughters experience that.  ::)
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Miniar

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

LordKAT

um, ye, wish I had even an inkling of what was going on. oh well its past now.
  •