News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Vitamin D

Started by insideontheoutside, August 30, 2010, 10:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

insideontheoutside

http://www.naturalnews.com/029605_vitamin_d_prevention.html

I learned awhile ago that Vit D3 can be great to support immune system year round but especially in the flu season. Since I've been taking it I've been lucky enough to not have gotten any flu. It's interesting that more research is coming out about additional benefits.
"Let's conspire to ignite all the souls that would die just to feel alive."
  •  

Janet_Girl

I take 1000 IU of D-3.  I live in an area that gets not enough sun.  I feel better.
  •  

Debra

Quote from: insideontheoutside on August 30, 2010, 10:08:29 PM
http://www.naturalnews.com/029605_vitamin_d_prevention.html

I learned awhile ago that Vit D3 can be great to support immune system year round but especially in the flu season. Since I've been taking it I've been lucky enough to not have gotten any flu. It's interesting that more research is coming out about additional benefits.

Yeah I take 5000 IU of it everyday. My doc recommends it esp for us Washingtonians because of the year round clouds, just about hehe

•  

ilanthefirst

Jumping in a bit late here, but I've also discovered Vitamin D is a panacea.  I have autoimmune problems but took a nosedive last winter and had a bunch of tests run to figure out what was wrong.  My doctor's guesses ranged from mononucleosis to cancer.  In the end, everything was totally normal except that I had a _severe_ Vitamin D deficiency.  Go figure!  I've been taking some 4,000IU daily for nearly six months and have seen my health return to where it was three-ish years ago when my autoimmune issues started getting out of control.  Yay for Vitamin D!
  •  

insideontheoutside

I've read statistics that many people are vitamin D deficient. There were theories that the food most people eat just does not provide enough actual nutrition (not hard to believe if you just look at all the fast food and other garbage consumed in the U.S.).
  •  

Robert Scott

I too take vitamin D....my doctor told me to take it ... b/c I live up north and we don't get enough sunlight so I was deficient as well.  Plus there is an added benefit as it has been shown to help depression - which I am sure we all can relate too.

My son who just started taking T was told to take vitamin d as well --- the doctor said it was important since he will in essence be going through menopause. 
  •  

Miniar

Just by the by...

too much vit. D can cause problems.
Do not exceed %RDA.

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

spacial

Quote from: insideontheoutside on September 20, 2010, 01:13:59 AM
I've read statistics that many people are vitamin D deficient. There were theories that the food most people eat just does not provide enough actual nutrition (not hard to believe if you just look at all the fast food and other garbage consumed in the U.S.).

The greatest factor to Vitamin D deficiency is our tendency to keep out of the sun.

Though awareness is improving. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-11355810

I read another report, a few years ago, that sadly, I can't find, which reported that vitamin D deficiency in Muslim women, in England, who wear the hajib is becoming a problem.

Same cause, sadly.   :(
  •  

Hurtfulsplash

I take vitamin D too because of lack of sun exposure.
  •  

insideontheoutside

Quote from: Miniar on September 20, 2010, 09:11:15 AM
Just by the by...

too much vit. D can cause problems.
Do not exceed %RDA.

Not very many studies have been done on this to my knowledge but I've seen stats such as having to take 10,000 IU a day to start reaching toxic levels. What happens is that with extremely excessive amounts the intestines absorb too much calcium and you end up getting too much calcium in your blood. The amounts in all the supplements I've seen are a fraction of this.
  •  

Ephriam66

Vitamin D is a steroid vitamin, a group of fat-soluble prohormones, which encourages the absorption and metabolism of calcium and phosphorous. People who are exposed to normal quantities of sunlight do not need vitamin D supplements because sunlight promotes sufficient vitamin D synthesis in the skin. Vitamin D is an important part of a healthy diet. New benefits of this vitamin are being discovered every day, but many people still do not receive enough vitamin D to reap the wonderful benefits it can provide to their health. The benefits of Vitamin D can be obtained from getting adequate sunlight. About 20-30 minutes of strong sunlight on bare skin will produce about 20,000 IU (100 micrograms) of Vitamin D per day. However, darker skinned people need 5 to 10 times longer exposure to the sun to get the same amount of Vitamin D.
  •  

insideontheoutside

I was born in and lived in sunny Southern California for my whole life up until like 4 years ago. I was frequently outside in the sun and I had lower than normal vit. D levels when not supplementing. Unfortunately it just doesn't always work that way with the sun.
  •  

Cindy

There is a big problem with Vit D deficiency, particularly with pregnant woman. It is as, Spacial said, linked to avoidance of sun. In Australia we are the Melanoma haven so we have advertising campaigns  to avoid harsh sun and those campaigns have been linked with a drop in Vit D levels.

That said, anything beyond a normal level goes into the toilet, so I wouldn't super boost it, you don't absorb it and you don't store it.

Also be cautious about some of the claims. Many people got onto the super boost Vit C to prevent colds etc. After several big trials it was found to be of no benefit except to the people selling the vitamins.

Never boost Vit A, it will kill you, eventually.
Vit B maybe, particularly if you drink alcohol, it may also have some beneficial affects to brain function.

If you are on a proper balanced diet, extra Vitamins are probably a waste of money.

If BTW you are into fish oil to boost omega 3 levels you need at least 10,000 mgs per day to do anything. My Rheumatology colleague who was one of the pioneers in this study gets his patients to DRINK 25 mls of fish oil per day to see the positive effects. Typically that is 25 tablets a day at 1000mgs/capsule. Or a about the size of your morning coffee.

Do remember in many of these trials there is an incredible placebo effect. You would be amazed how high that effect can be, but it doesn't (usually) sustain.

Cindy
  •  

V M

I take a multivitamin and a fish oil gel every morning and a calcium, magnesium, zinc with D3 caplet at night before bed
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •