Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Same-Sex Couple Stir Fears of a ‘Gay Agenda’

Started by Shana A, February 14, 2010, 02:26:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shana A

Same-Sex Couple Stir Fears of a 'Gay Agenda'

By BARRY BEARAK
Published: February 13, 2010

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/14/world/africa/14malawi.html

BLANTYRE, Malawi — Tiwonge Chimbalanga looked like a man but said he was a woman. He helped with the cooking and dressed in feminine wraparound skirts. Steven Monjeza was a quiet, sullen man often intoxicated on sorghum beer. He said he had never been happy until he finally met the right companion.

The two celebrated their engagement — their chinkhoswe, in the Chichewa language — with a party at a lodge here in Malawi's commercial capital. It began cheerfully enough. But later, gawkers pushed their way inside, some shouting taunts, others just staring through despising eyes. Then the electricity failed. The band stopped playing, and the bride collapsed in tears.
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

Allamakee

What a nightmare for them.

I'm glad the NYT is clear that one of the two is transsexual. Almost all of the media reports have omitted this, casting the incident in terms of gay marriage/gay rights.
  •  

spacial

While I join with, I'm sure, the majority of my brothers and sisters in expressing deep sadness for the plight of homosexual people ij Africa, this comment needs to be understood.

QuoteAninsia Kachepa, Mr. Chimbalanga's older sister, wept into her blouse at the simple mention of her jailed brother. "I have never heard of this homosexuality, and I am still not understanding," she said.

"Tell me, how is it physically possible, one man having sex with another?"

I am married to an African woman, who, like me, is not hetrosexual. It isn't that Africa is primitive, or backward.

Africa has its own culture where people graduate to each position in society as naturally as we graduate for children into adults.

One of the most startling things I noticed when I first went to Africa is the absolute innocence of children. They have no fear of being molested simply because it doesn't happen.

(I appreciate that it does, but it is so rare. Indeed in more communities than you might imagine, limited interaction between adults and their chidren is the norm. We might call it sexual abuse, they don't).

I have met African women who have chosen to remain single their entire lives. They often have a very 'butch' (for want of a better word), manner. They are completey accepted as Auntys by the local communities.

Efininate men are not common but tend to be accepted. Often taking on roles that cross the boundries between men and women.

I fear that Africa has suffered too much from interference over the last few thousand years, mostly from Arabs but laterlly from Europeans. It really needs time to settle and find itself.

•  

Allamakee

Malawi court dismisses gay couple's appeal case
The Vancouver Sun via Reuters
February 22, 2010

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Malawi+court+dismisses+couple+appeal+case/2597986/story.html

Malawi's chief justice on Monday rejected a request from a gay couple charged with buggery and indecency for the constitutional court to review their case and magistrates will now announce their verdict on March 22.

•