Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Original Plumbing FTM Magazine, thoughts?

Started by Cowboi, March 04, 2010, 02:55:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cowboi

I'm curious if anyone else has taken the time to read Original Plumbings first two issues and what you thought of them?

I'm in the middle of the second issue (The Hair Issue) right now, so far I've noticed a pretty decent difference in quality between the first and second issue. I really like how the changed up the format and layout of the interviews with the models, it seems more in depth and (to me at least) appears to share more about their stories.

The first issue (The Bedroom Issue) was a little disappointing to me. Some of the articles in it seemed like they had no real connection to the FTM community other than the writer may have been trans.

For the most part I think it seems to be coming along pretty well, especially for a new magazine. The first issue gives me the feeling that it was put together in a rush or with not enough information and some things just seem like fillers, which for such a short zine feels unnecessary personally. I'm sure we will see it grow and progress into something completely (or mostly) different than it is now, as this seems to be the normal case for small projects when they first start out. I do hope to keep seeing it coming, at least it is one more thing out there for those of us who are transmen, but I also hope time allows for more contributions of writing and art from the community that may help it seem a little more focused.

I was actually hoping to write an article for the next issue but things have been so hectic that I haven't had any time to really research my topic beyond a couple of responses on message boards regarding other people's experiences. I guess my point with sharing that is I can't complain to much since I haven't found the time to contribute myself, to me it's kind of like not voting and then bitching about the results lol.
  •  

alexkidd

I love this magazine - I thought both issues were well done and alot of the models aren't hard too look at either :-)

Its pretty cheap too!
  •  

DavisJ86

I wish barnes and noble sold this. Apparently a small bookstore twenty miles from me does, but I'm not up for the drive lol
"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."-Confucius

""It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change."-Charles Darwin
  •  

Nygeel

I saw the hair issue on Friday (there was a release party that I missed!). From what I saw it just didn't seem for me. I didn't get much of a look so it's likely that I'm wrong, but it just doesn't look like my cup of tea.
  •  

Cowboi

Quote from: Nygeel on March 08, 2010, 12:11:43 PM
I saw the hair issue on Friday (there was a release party that I missed!). From what I saw it just didn't seem for me. I didn't get much of a look so it's likely that I'm wrong, but it just doesn't look like my cup of tea.

I think that may be my problem as well, it just doesn't seem to  be for me. The things that are covered are diverse but just aren't my lifestyle really. It feels like it's geared more towards the less discussed portions of our community and doesn't seem to include much of interest for guys who are just the typical straight guy living the daily grind (work, sleep, work, sleep, paycheck! lol). There are a lot of models they interview that have interesting stories but they all seem to be people who identify as queer, bisexual, etc. There is also a lot of talk about sex but not much in the way of long term serious relationships, I think one interview was with someone who is in a long term committed relationship that isn't an open one. Yet once again, that was with a queer/gay couple and so it still wasn't something I could identify with at all.

Over all it has been interesting to learn some things about the diversity of our community. I definitely think it's cool that they have somewhere to share and be given a more public format to voice their opinions and ideas but it just isn't for me. Nice example is that the hair issue really seemed aimed at those who have an interest in facial hair or having longer hair styles. If you go more for the clean cut short hair and keep your face shaved there really wasn't much in there for you, if really anything at all except a bit about manscaping if you are into that as well.
  •  

Lachlann

Bummer, looks like it would feel applicable to me either.

And here I was, curious about the sex articles because I've not heard anyone opening talk about FTM straight sex.
Don't be scared to fly alone, find a path that is your own
Love will open every door it's in your hands, the world is yours
Don't hold back and always know, all the answers will unfold
What are you waiting for, spread your wings and soar
  •