Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

long-distance running & T level

Started by Benjamin, March 12, 2010, 08:41:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benjamin

Does anyone here run long-distance?  If so, have you had any issues with your T level?  It appears I'm having problems in this area, but my endo doesn't agree that distance running can affect how quickly T is processed.  And yet... I read at medical and running sites that long distance runners often have low T levels.  Not sure if that's a problem for only cismales... or?
  •  

Silver

Long distance running burns off muscle and fat.
  •  

Benjamin

True.  But I'm wondering if the T I'm injecting is being processed more rapidly than normal due to the physiological effect of endurance running.  I think my T level is too low.  I've had two periods in a row since having upped my running mileage.  But my endo isn't interested in testing my T level.
  •  

Silver

Honestly can't help you there. If anything, exercising is shown to make the changes happen faster. Good luck with your endo.
  •  

Tay

I've also heard that exercise makes changes speed up... surely that follows that it is making the testosterone metabolise more quickly? And therefore you would 'run out' toward the end of the shot cycle??

Makes sense to me.
  •  

Vancha

If you're getting periods now, and feel that your T levels are too low, your endo should check your levels, because if menstruating is a change from the norm, it should always be investigated, and even if it isn't, it is not ideal, and obviously your dosage isn't doing enough for you.  Our doctors are supposed to keep close tabs on our levels at all times, so that we get the most out of HRT while staying healthy.  If you make that argument, perhaps she will come around to the idea.
  •  

Alessandro

I am very surprised you are getting periods.  I am pre-T and a long distance runner and the running has actually made my periods go from a regular cycle to more like 6 and a half weeks between them.  I was wondering myself whether being on T plus the running might actually make them stop easier!
"You can't look where you're going if you don't know where you're going"
-Labyrinth
  •  

LordKAT

The SOC says nothing about getting T levels as it does for our female friends. Apparently the dose is right if you are getting the wanted effects and no bad side effects. The normal level varies too much for a test to be of much use as a rule.
  •  

Silver

Quote from: Benjamin on March 14, 2010, 12:35:16 PM
I'm fairly certain that long distance running affects male & females differently.  It's common for endurance sports to stop a woman's period, and yet, it's common for a male endurance athlete to have low T.  Go figure.  I'll be interested to know how things will go for you when you're on T someday.  Keep us posted.

It just lowers sex hormone levels. No difference there.
  •  

Radar

Quote from: Benjamin on March 14, 2010, 12:35:16 PMI agree, he should be carefully watching my T level.  But believe it or not, he has NEVER tested my T level, not even to get a baseline before I started taking T.

Oh man. You need a new endo. If different levels get out of whack (not just T) it can seriously mess you up. We're talking about your life here. If he feels checking your T levels is too much of an "inconvenience" for him than so is your health.
"In this one of many possible worlds, all for the best, or some bizarre test?
It is what it is—and whatever.
Time is still the infinite jest."
  •  

Lachlann

Checking your baseline T isn't always necessary when starting testosterone. I've had two doctors tell me it was just fine.

However, your endo should be checking your levels after the fact.
Don't be scared to fly alone, find a path that is your own
Love will open every door it's in your hands, the world is yours
Don't hold back and always know, all the answers will unfold
What are you waiting for, spread your wings and soar
  •