Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Call Me Kate: The Story of Katherine Marlowe, a Transexual

Started by Cowboi, January 23, 2010, 06:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cowboi

Has anyone else read this book before? I just started it and am not yet half way through but so far I'm really impressed with it. I figured I'd see what other people thought of the book and also throw the title out there for anyone else who may be interested in picking up a copy.

Where I live it is really hard to find books about transsexual issues, I found this one tucked away in a used book store and I'm really happy that I found it. Actually that tends to be how I find most of my transsexual books.
  •  

gennee

Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •  

Frances

I have it. I thought it was about another trans woman. It is the only book in my collection that I regret buying. If if were not for the photos, I would swear it was all made up.

Cowboi

Quote from: Frances on April 11, 2010, 04:36:25 PM
I have it. I thought it was about another trans woman. It is the only book in my collection that I regret buying. If if were not for the photos, I would swear it was all made up.

Yeah, I had never heard of Katherine Marlowe before. I think her life was just insane, it really is so crazy it seems unreal lol. When you read it though and you put together some of the names of famous friends and events it kind of blows your mind to process that it all is true (at least at the basis, who knows about some of the added things like emotional connections and whatnot).

I actually enjoyed the book a lot, but not as a transsexual book, more as just any other day of the week reading material. Definitely was not what I thought it would be like at all but good just the same. When I'm looking for something like a biography or memiore (sp?) about another trans person I seem to have a different kind of expectation and Call Me Kate didn't live up to that.

Have you read As Nature Made Him: The Boy Who Was Raised as a Girl? Very good book and even though it is about an intersexed individual it fit into what I think of more when I am considering a trans related personal story. Much more about the individual struggle, emotional reactions and life in regards to their gender and not just a life narrative, which is what Call Me Kate felt like.

I would recommend checking out As Nature Made Him if you weren't too into this book, I cried several times reading that story. Being FTM as well there was a lot more emotional stuff that I could personally relate to in that story, but so much of the struggle is universal in the way that we feel and react to the situation regardless of being intersex, ftm or mtf.... or probably just for gender queer people as well. Never having been one myself I don't really know lol.
  •  

Frances

I have As Nature Made Him, and it is a heart breaking story. I have a huge collection of biographies and trans related books myself. I recently picked up Both Sides Now about a trans man (Dhilon Khosla) and was very impressed by the writing and the story. I highly recommend it.

Cowboi

Quote from: Frances on April 13, 2010, 06:06:54 AM
I have As Nature Made Him, and it is a heart breaking story. I have a huge collection of biographies and trans related books myself. I recently picked up Both Sides Now about a trans man (Dhilon Khosla) and was very impressed by the writing and the story. I highly recommend it.

I've been so lazy with my reading lately... maybe this recommendation will get me off my ass and back into a book! I normally read all of the time but the last month or so I just kind of fell out of it and back into day to day life :(
  •