Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Completely freaking out

Started by MRH, April 20, 2010, 03:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MRH

Ok so I've applied for an Art college not far from where I live and ive got an interview next week but ive just found a course for games development in a town about 30mins-1 hour away and im starting to panic a little. The games course is much better suited for me but its further away in a strange town ive never been. I have a few phobias regarding being in public so its safer for me to stay in my home town and attend the art college as I am familar with this area and wont panic as much. Also, and I know this shouldn't effect my decision , If i go for the games course I will only see my boyfriend once or twice a week and im used to seeing him about 5 days a week. I know it may not sound like a huge deal to everyone but I really struggle with social situations and im scared that going for the better course could push me to breaking point plus with my gender issues I wanna be close to my boyfriend as he is the only one who is really supporting and helping me. Thinking about it is making me shake a little as I really cant seem to get over my phobia and theres one group of people pushing me to do one course and another group the other.
  •  

Hurtfulsplash

I can understand the phobia you're feeling, and man it sucks. Its a hard decision, on one hand you'll feel safe in your comfort zone, on the other maybe being a little out of your zone but in a career more fitted to you might help. This is tough, lets see what the others say.

Sorry I can't help any more than that.
  •  

Nero

Go with the one more suited to your future career. What do you want to major in? Game design? Then look at both schools' Game department. Make sure they are accredited to grant degrees in your field. This should be your main concern as some design fields have special requirements. You don't want to get a degree only to find you can't get a job in your field.
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Hurtfulsplash

One thought that just occurred to me, would your boyfriend be able to take a trip with you to scout out your new surroundings if you did decide to take the games development path? It might get you familiarized with the new place without the anxiety.
  •  

MRH

Well I was thinking of studying Games Concept Design in University after whatever course I do in college. I could probably still get in with an art diploma but it would obviously be better with a games design diploma. Im just scared that I wont be able to cope with the games course as I do struggle from some mental health issues that requires quite a bit of support. The college im in at the moment has a great support team that have negotiated a reduced timetable and have got me out of doing some homework lol but I cant stay on there as I cant deal with the stress of AS levels (I dont know what AS/A levels are called in America) I suppose I should apply for this one anyway, see if I get an interview, check the college out and see how I feel but for me thats a very stressful job to do.
  •  

Teknoir

Go for the one you want to do the most. Do what's better for your long term career, and your personal development.

Think long term - if there are no career opportunities where you live, you're going to have to branch out into a new town eventually anyway.

30min - 1hr away? It's not as if you have to move for that. It's not a big commute. I wish my commute was that short!

Apply for everything. Then make a decision depending on what you get accepted for. More options are always better than fewer.

I don't know how to put this in a nicer way (and believe me, I'm not having a go - I've been there when in the depths of untreated GID) but that negative thinking will do nothing but make your life miserable in the long run.

Stop telling yourself you can't do things. A more positive way of looking at it might be "My anxiety might make it uncomfortable to do this - but I AM capable of overcoming it and moving forward with what I want to do".

The things you keep telling yourself about yourself eventually become the truth.
  •