Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Selective Service Exemption Letter

Started by Arch, February 21, 2010, 05:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arch

Here's the specific page you want, LordKAT: http://www.sss.gov/Status.html. The forms weren't working when I filled mine out, so I had to go to Google and find one that did work. If you can't download a form, try Google. Or let me know and I'll see if I can hunt up the one I found.

When I first went to the site on the first of January, I thought they had posted a 4-6-week wait time, but I think I was looking at the wait time for something else. Here's what I do know: when I went back to the site at the beginning of March, the wait was about ninety days for new requests. When I went back at the beginning of April, the wait had increased to 120 days for new requests. When I called their office ten days later, the recording said the wait time had increased to 150 days. When I talked to a guy there last Friday, he said they were then processing requests that they had received on January 8. Yes, there's a bit of a backlog.

My SIL should arrive in the mail tomorrow. It was mailed out on Friday afternoon. I sent it off on January 2 or possibly the following Monday, January 4. If we allow about nine or ten days for mailing, it took SSS fourteen weeks (approximately 97 days) to process my request. That's a bit longer than the time period they were estimating two months later. Yet somebody in this thread said that he made his request after I did and received the letter in February.

I thought that the SSS might be prioritizing requests from young guys of draftable age, but the representatives that I spoke to said nothing about any such scheme. You might call and find out if they're doing something like that.

Here's a funny. I got a call from the Census about my job application. I didn't get to talk to the woman who was handling my application--I talked to a guy who was looking at a Post-It that she had placed on my paperwork. Even though I had clearly written on the application that I didn't register because I had an exemption, he told me that the Post-It said I needed to register for the draft now, before I turned twenty-six!! If I did it right away, they might be able to process my app. I interrupted him and said something like, "It's a little late for that. I'm forty-seven." He was quite surprised and started shuffling through my paperwork. Then he said, "Well, you have to fill out a form with the Selective Service. Go to..." I told him that I have an exemption and should have the letter tomorrow. "Oh, then bring it by our office," he said.

I thought it was interesting that the woman had screwed up so badly (was she figuring my age in base 20, or something?) and the guy (admittedly having to wing it) also wasn't really on the ball. These are people in recruitment who have supposedly worked there for months. No wonder the pay is so lousy.
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •  

Radar

Arch, what do you have to submit to show proof of exemption? Do you have to reveal to them your trans status? I'm guessing yes.
"In this one of many possible worlds, all for the best, or some bizarre test?
It is what it is—and whatever.
Time is still the infinite jest."
  •  

sneakersjay

Quote from: Radar on April 21, 2010, 08:51:19 AM
Arch, what do you have to submit to show proof of exemption? Do you have to reveal to them your trans status? I'm guessing yes.

Yes. They will want a copy of your original BC to prove you were born F, which is why you are exempt.  I can't remember what other documents they wanted beyond that now.  Fuzzy  memory at my age, LOL.

Jay

•  

LordKAT

Thanks Arch, It now says 135 days. Wonder what it will say tomorrow.
  •  

Arch

Quote from: Radar on April 21, 2010, 08:51:19 AM

Yes. As Jay indicates, I was told to provide a birth certificate to verify that I was designated female at birth. To document my sex change, I gave them a copy of my surgeon's letter. It says that my transition is complete and that I am male. I also included copies of my most recent driver's licenses--the last two, which I kept for some reason, show me as female, and the latest one shows me as male. They also knew my SSN, so they could look me up there as well if they really wanted to.

If you have changed your name, definitely include your name-change documentation to link the birth name to your current name. Otherwise, they have no good way to know that Jane Doe is really John Doe. Or whatever.

I'm bummed. My letter didn't come today. So I guess tomorrow's pretty much a sure thing. Except that nothing is...

Post Merge: April 22, 2010, 06:34:11 PM

The letter came. Finally.

I don't know why, but this makes me feel more official. More officially male, I mean.

•  

M.Grimm

By the way, thank you for bringing this up. I don't have a copy of my original birth certificate, and it occurs to me that I really ought to have it for this and for other legal matters before I change things on it.

Also, congrats on finally getting your letter.
  •  

Arch

Quote from: M.Grimm on April 26, 2010, 08:03:22 PM
By the way, thank you for bringing this up. I don't have a copy of my original birth certificate, and it occurs to me that I really ought to have it for this and for other legal matters before I change things on it.

Also, congrats on finally getting your letter.

Thanks. I had to work SO hard to get it. ;)

Yeah, it's always good to have a birth certificate lying around. And you never know when you might want a Status Information Letter. I was telling someone (a fellow trans man) that my letter had finally arrived, and he said airily, "Oh, I never applied for one. Didn't see the point." I replied, "Obviously, you've never applied for a federal job." Besides, it's good to have your status sorted out in case there are questions later. I've never heard of a trans guy who got in trouble for not registering, but I like to be prepared. Next step, my passport.

•  

M.Grimm

Better safe than sorry, says I. Also, I'm currently in college and I'll be transitioning during this time, which means it may become an issue if I need to deal with any loans/financial aid. And who knows what I'll need when I re-enter the workforce. I'm getting a little fireproof lockbox where I can keep all of this stuff, too.
  •  

Arch

Quote from: M.Grimm on April 26, 2010, 09:33:54 PMI'm getting a little fireproof lockbox where I can keep all of this stuff, too.

Smart. Although if you live in Arizona, you might want a second birth cert to carry around in case the Nazis, er, officials ask for your papers.

•  

LordKAT

Just thinking about this, if your BC has changed gender and been impounded, how do you prove being born female?
  •  

Arch

Quote from: LordKAT on April 27, 2010, 01:34:37 AM
Just thinking about this, if your BC has changed gender and been impounded, how do you prove being born female?

I would say to get a couple of certified copies of the original version (and put them in a fireproof safe or a bank safe deposit box--or, better yet, spread them around in different locations). Keep any old IDs like state IDs and/or driver's licenses and/or old passports. Put them in the safe as well. Get an official copy of your SSA activity (an SS-5 of the original application)--it will show that you started out life designated female. You can always get a new one within weeks, but it's good to have one handy. And, of course, hang onto any surgery letters you get.

•  

LordKAT

have no original BC, nor past ID's as the DMV takes them when you renew, never had a passport and SSA I will have to see about. When I was there I asked for the paper showing the change but they said I wasn't allowed to have a copy of that.  Still have the surgery letter tho.
  •  

Arch

Quote from: LordKAT on April 27, 2010, 02:25:32 AM
have no original BC, nor past ID's as the DMV takes them when you renew, never had a passport and SSA I will have to see about. When I was there I asked for the paper showing the change but they said I wasn't allowed to have a copy of that.  Still have the surgery letter tho.

Too bad about the DMV--in my state, they just punch a hole in the license and hand it back to you. With the SSA, I couldn't get proof that I was legally male, either--I asked at the office, and they said to inquire at the main office back east; when I did that, I was told to inquire at my local office. It's stupid. But I do need proof that they actually changed the F to an M, and I haven't followed up yet. However, the SSA maintains a record of all of your transactions with them, and you can always get the SS-5 for a price. They keep your application on micro.

If a birth cert was filed for you and you haven't already changed it, order some now. The state I was born in doesn't allow a change, only an amendment. So I haven't seen the point of going down that road. Maybe the law will change someday, but I don't think it will change anytime soon. That's the South for you...

•  

LordKAT

Here it is amended until you have the original impounded and a new one made.
  •