Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Not sure if I qualify as "intersex"

Started by PanoramaIsland, February 11, 2010, 03:47:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PanoramaIsland

I've used the term at times to describe myself, but I don't use it much because I'm not sure if I technically qualify.
I was born XY and raised male, but I have hypogonadotropism; my body is unable to produce normal amounts of hormones. I never really went through puberty; my muscles never grew, my voice never dropped, I never physically masculinized in any way, and my spine bent quite a bit going into my teenage years. I've always been a very hairless and androgynous-looking person, even as a "boy." Since my genitalia never grew, I ended up with pretty severe micropenis. I'm not XXY - I've been tested - and I don't think I've got any internal ovaries or anything like that, though I've never been tested for it.

I certainly border on intersex, but I'm not sure if I am intersex. What do you think?
  •  

rejennyrated

Personally I'm in favour of inclusive and blurred definitions, but I may be in a minority, and it also possibly reflects my own story of "diagnosis after the fact" so to speak.
  •  

Cyndigurl45

I was born with ambiguous genitals, I was born with a micro penis and hypospadias level 2, I could still stand and pee, after puberty I was able penetrate a female and father a child some have said I am inter-sexed others say no, I guess it's like any other thing and your perception, because as you may or may not know perception is reality....
  •  

IndigeoAliquis

If you are ever unsure about a physical or mental medical condition, you really need to see a doctor. Even over the internet, I'm unsure of how many people here can quote the Tanner stages to you and apply them, and even then there are internal things that need to be palpated for, scanned for, bloodwork-tested for, soforth and so-on.
I do wish you the best of luck in making progress with this.
  •  

Northern Jane

It sure sounds like there is some physiological anomaly. The only way to know for sure is to see a geneticist. Most major centres now have good genetic clinics so see if you can get a referral from your GP.
  •  

PanoramaIsland

Quote from: Northern Jane on February 12, 2010, 04:31:58 AM
It sure sounds like there is some physiological anomaly. The only way to know for sure is to see a geneticist. Most major centres now have good genetic clinics so see if you can get a referral from your GP.
You mean to make sure I'm really XY? Because I've checked that, and I am.
  •  

Northern Jane

Chromosomes aren't the whole story and XY doesn't mean "normal male" - there are nearly 100 Intersex conditions, many of which are found with "normal" XX or XY. Even the standard Karotype test (blood test) is not 100%
  •  

PanoramaIsland

Quote from: Northern Jane on February 12, 2010, 11:12:40 AM
Chromosomes aren't the whole story and XY doesn't mean "normal male" - there are nearly 100 Intersex conditions, many of which are found with "normal" XX or XY. Even the standard Karotype test (blood test) is not 100%
Ah, alright. Yeah, it seems like a thorough genetic test couldn't hurt. Thanks for the info!
  •  

insideontheoutside

Quote from: Northern Jane on February 12, 2010, 11:12:40 AM

Sorry to bring to life a dead topic but after I learned there are 100 or so intersex conditions it actually made me question if I was one of those 100. Honestly, I think there may be even more variations in humans. I'm very thankful that I don't have a chromosome  issue or a serious health condition but I definitely do not have "normal" (by medical definition) hormone levels. However, no doctor has ever been able to explain it to me as I don't have any specific condition that would cause it. I also have a clitoris that very much looks like a miropenis (and in fact I've always referred to as a penis anyway). Although I don't have any other male parts and I have working female parts. So yeah, I consider myself lucky on my "variations". Not too long ago I came across a youtube video with Hida Viloria and I though oh wow, that's kind of it! Because I don't think Hida has any actual health issues but appears to have the same hormonal type balance and clitoris thing I got going on. People call her a hermaphrodite though, which I don't think is really appropriate but oh well.
"Let's conspire to ignite all the souls that would die just to feel alive."
  •