Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

CALL TO ACTION: GLAAD Calls on José Luis Sin Censura to Stop Defaming LGBT Peopl

Started by Shana A, June 18, 2010, 12:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shana A

CALL TO ACTION: GLAAD Calls on José Luis Sin Censura to Stop Defaming LGBT People

http://www.glaad.org/calltoaction/2010/censura

The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD) asks you to join calls for the reality talk show José Luis Sin Censura to immediately stop using defamatory terms and apologize to viewers. The terms "maricón" and "puñal," which in English translate to "fa**ot" were chanted by audience members on the June 8 segment of the program. The same pattern occurred on the June 10 segment of the show, when audience members chanted "puto," a word that also means "fa**ot" in many Spanish-speaking countries.

GLAAD reached out to executives of the company that produces José Luis Sin Censura to express our concerns, but the company has not responded.  The show is produced and distributed by Burbank, CA-based LBI, Liberman Broadcasting Inc. José Luis Sin Censura airs daily on Estrella TV in Los Angeles, Miami, New York, Houston and other large Latino markets. By one estimate, Estrella TV reaches about 70% of the nation's Latino households and millions of Latinos nationwide.

-------------

In Spanish, "puta" is sometimes used as a insult for "prostitute", thus "puto" could be translated as male prostitute.
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

My Name Is Ellie

Sadly the media is all too prevalent in what people think. During Britain's Got Talent the Madonna performer got a lot of laughs and most of my friends' views of "transsexuals" come from that (even if he was a transvestite with a beard - NB: use of he coming from the fact he identified as a man, not meaning to be derogatory).

This is a great move forwards though. If I saw something like Jeremy Kyle and saw people chanting homo/trans phobic words at the members there I would feel extremely saddened. A very large proportion of teens at least watch chat shows.
  •