Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Justify Atheism

Started by Seras, June 06, 2010, 07:55:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bombi

Very good analogy, Dryad. However atheists can be spiritual. The quest of self and understanding is a constant for me. It is not a quest to find a god or a belief system but to go into one's mind to see what is there and how that mind can be focused to allow a greater understanding of the world. Meditation is one way to approach this venture. Although I am a hard core atheist I still consider myself a spiritual person as do others.
I meet with a group on Tuesday afternoons called "The Caribbean Cosmic Community. We are all religions, no religion, male, female and other, young, old and in between. We do a group meditation, sometimes directed and sometimes not. I can feel a power in that room. I feel a unity. For lack of a better explanation the feeling I get is spiritual or transcendental. Whatever it is it is definitely real.
Yes there is really bigender people
  •  

Arch

When I was a teenager, I was (not surprisingly) pretty miserable. I saw how happy a lot of active Christians were, so I gave it a try. I kept telling myself that I believed. I tried so hard, but I just didn't believe. I wondered why it came so easily for other people but simply didn't happen for me.

I was an agnostic then; I figured I didn't know enough yet to be a true atheist. So I started reading and thinking. I figured that I would just go where the evidence took me. And here I am.

I get very angry when people tell me that "all" I have to do is believe, have faith, and their god will do the rest. I found out that I can't just believe--not without evidence and some rational basis for my belief. I remember being a skeptic at five, and I think I'm naturally that way. Conversion might work on people who want to have something to have faith in. It doesn't work on me. Maybe my brain is just different from most people's. I would really like to know.

I don't think I'm spiritual, either, although I have to be honest and say that I'm not always sure I know what "spiritual" means. Maybe I'll ask that question on a new thread.

I'm feeling philosophical today...
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •  

spacial

I can so identify with what you're saying Arch.
  •  

Arch

Quote from: spacial on June 11, 2010, 04:22:57 PMI can so identify with what you're saying Arch.

Heh. I wonder if anyone else does. Thanks for telling me.

I remember describing my teenage experience to someone, and her response was, "You can't TRY to believe, you have to just BELIEVE." I was stymied. If I couldn't believe even when I was trying, what made her think that I could believe without trying?

Guess I was "doing it wrong."
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •  

glendagladwitch

Quote from: Dryad on June 11, 2010, 08:47:00 AM
Spacial: I believe the problem is: You can't really discuss the subjectivity of religion with atheists. Atheism is the direct opposite of religion, and yes, atheism is extremely simplistic. 'There is no divine being.' Done.

I don't think that's quite accurate.  It's more like, "All belief in god is unjustified.  It's pure speculation, and religion enshrines many harmful taboos and we'd be better off without it."  Done.
  •  

Fenrir

Quote from: Arch on June 11, 2010, 01:08:58 PM
I remember being a skeptic at five, and I think I'm naturally that way. Conversion might work on people who want to have something to have faith in. It doesn't work on me. Maybe my brain is just different from most people's. I would really like to know.

I remember hearing about a study on identical twins separated at birth, and chances were if one was religious, so was the other. So there seems to be a genetic component to religiousness (something about an area of the brain responding a certain way? It was a long time ago), though I'm sure that environment plays a part too (as with most things).
Atheism is what it is. It is a lack of belief. But as with any spiritual viewpoint, there are different forms of it, ranging from wanting to believe but not being able to quite 'feel' God there (though followng the protocol of the religion) to out-and-out all-religion-is-evil thinking. I assume the OP was attacking the 'extremist' end of this, as I can't think of why anyone would have a problem otherwise.  :P
  •  

glendagladwitch

Quote from: Fenrir on June 11, 2010, 08:58:56 PM
I remember hearing about a study on identical twins separated at birth, and chances were if one was religious, so was the other. So there seems to be a genetic component to religiousness (something about an area of the brain responding a certain way? It was a long time ago), though I'm sure that environment plays a part too (as with most things).
Atheism is what it is. It is a lack of belief. But as with any spiritual viewpoint, there are different forms of it, ranging from wanting to believe but not being able to quite 'feel' God there (though followng the protocol of the religion) to out-and-out all-religion-is-evil thinking. I assume the OP was attacking the 'extremist' end of this, as I can't think of why anyone would have a problem otherwise.  :P

NO!

just kidding
  •  

Dryad

Quote from: glendagladwitch on June 11, 2010, 08:17:33 PM
I don't think that's quite accurate.  It's more like, "All belief in god is unjustified.  It's pure speculation, and religion enshrines many harmful taboos and we'd be better off without it."  Done.

No.. That would be anti-theism, not atheism. Atheism is, of itself, not against religion. It simply doesn't support it. To claim the world would be better off without it is anti-theism. Anti-theists aren't always atheists, either, though. Though they usually are.
  •  

glendagladwitch

Quote from: Dryad on June 12, 2010, 09:12:42 PM
No.. That would be anti-theism, not atheism. Atheism is, of itself, not against religion. It simply doesn't support it. To claim the world would be better off without it is anti-theism. Anti-theists aren't always atheists, either, though. Though they usually are.

I don't know any atheists who think religion is just swell.  Maybe you can divide atheism from this "anti-theism" on a conceptual basis, but as the natural products of rational thought, I doubt you will ever find atheism separate from a distrust of religion.
  •  

Dryad

I'm an atheist, and I feel that religion is just swell. Of course; as long as they don't take their scripture literally, but as symbolic. (Well; and as long as they don't take part in any religion-based fascism.)
I like most religions, to be honest.
  •  

justmeinoz

Easy, Comrade Stalin said it is right! 30 million dead people prove it!

The problem with atheism, as I see it is that it tends towards being 100% right, with no room for doubt. If there are no absolute values, just what the law says is right, then totalitarian rule is an easy step.

With a religious viewpoint there is at least a moral position to fall back on in any dispute with the Establishment.  It may not be easy, but it does at least exist.  I am assuming we are talking Ethical Monotheism here, not Aztec or Viking human sacrifice.

Bonhoffer no doubt wrestled at least a bit with the question of killing Nazis, but I doubt that Eichmann had any such moral debates with his conscience.

In many ways the problem is this type of discussion is in two  languages that are the exactly same but are completely different.

(Any Irish here will have no problem understanding  that perfectly!)
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

Hauser

Quote from: justmeinoz on June 14, 2010, 06:23:50 AM

The problem with atheism, as I see it is that it tends towards being 100% right, with no room for doubt. If there are no absolute values, just what the law says is right, then totalitarian rule is an easy step.

it seems to me that many atheists fall prey to a common misconception about science.

that science is based in and founded upon a need to question.  to doubt.  there is an unspoken understanding amongst scientists that no theory is an absolute and nothing is final scientifically. there is always the possibility that someone will come along and prove you wrong. science is founded upon an idea of trying something and then going with it if it works. Newton was hailed as the end all and be all of physical science until people like Gottfried Leibniz came along, challenged his theories and proved him wrong on a couple of counts. Even now string theorists like Ed Witten are challenging the work of Einstein.

to take a position TRULY founded in science one must doubt. one must be skeptical, question, experiment and always leave a margin for error.

which is a position that would be quite workable on a moral, ethical and social level that would allow for growth and change and adaptability to new problems and situations.
  •  

spacial

In many ways the problem is this type of discussion is in two  languages that are the exactly same but are completely different.

Yep. That is the nub.
  •  

Dryad

Easy, Comrade Stalin said it is right! 30 million dead people prove it!

With a religious viewpoint there is at least a moral position to fall back on in any dispute with the Establishment.  It may not be easy, but it does at least exist.  I am assuming we are talking Ethical Monotheism here, not Aztec or Viking human sacrifice.

Bonhoffer no doubt wrestled at least a bit with the question of killing Nazis, but I doubt that Eichmann had any such moral debates with his conscience.

(Any Irish here will have no problem understanding  that perfectly!)

From many Atheist points of view, it is religious law and moral that are oppressive, fascist, sexist, destructive, war-mongering and blood-thirsty, and that the only way to breach that is to do away with religion altogether, so that morality and good are finally restored.

We can argue all day and night about this, but the conclusion is: Neither belief nor disbelief in a deity makes a person moral and just. I would say that the weak-willed might need a personification like Satan in order to frighten them out of doing bad things, but God never comes into it at all.

Pointing fingers and going: I'm so much more moral than you are! Well; it never helped anyone, and can prove only the contrary. 

A little side-note, here: While I agree that many religions practised human sacrifice, the ones who didn't were not necessarily better. You might find passages in your bible that clearly state that homicide is rightful and just, and that God wants you to go out and kill entire groups of people. That God even revels in this killing. Which basically equates religious war to human sacrifice, only on a far grander scale.

The Viking religions aren't a very good point to go after, because yes; there were extremist cults that practised human sacrifice, but to be honest: some Christian extremist cults today stíll practise human sacrifice. Also, the vikings contributed a lot more to our modern social standards and moral practices than, say, the Romans did (not really an accomplishment, but still). They did have a lot of ethical morals and charities. And they did have a lot of idiots, as well, as does every single group of humans at any given point in time.

The Aztecs, while often hailed as barbarians, and truth be told, in many ways they were, did also have their own beautiful things. Not just items, artefacts and art, but also philosophy, mythology, moral codes and laws.

'Ethical Monotheism' is a direct insult to any religion that isn't monotheistic in nature, and a direct attack aimed at anyone who doesn't agree with your own religion, as the statement basically tells us: This is the only right way, and everyone else is unethical and wrong.

Sorry, but I do feel offended by that.
  •  

Miniar

Quote from: justmeinoz on June 14, 2010, 06:23:50 AMThe problem with atheism, as I see it is that it tends towards being 100% right, with no room for doubt. If there are no absolute values, just what the law says is right, then totalitarian rule is an easy step.
Wait, what?
I have yet to meet any atheist that is fully and completely without doubt.
Most, if not all, atheists that I know tend to lean towards science, and science exists on doubt and probability, not 100% certainty.

Quote from: justmeinozWith a religious viewpoint there is at least a moral position to fall back on in any dispute with the Establishment.  It may not be easy, but it does at least exist.  I am assuming we are talking Ethical Monotheism here, not Aztec or Viking human sacrifice.
Morals exist without religion.
But since you brought it up, Viking human sacrifice?
There's little documentation of human sacrifice done by the vikings and extremely little evidence to back it up.
The Ethical teachings of the Norse/Teutonic-heathen beliefs are found primarily in a collection of poems referred to as Háfamál (words of the high, considered to be the teachings of Odin). I prefer these as a "manual for life" over the so-called "ethical monotheism" because in Háfamál the lessons are about taking responsibility for your actions, being a reasonable human being, not drinking too much or indulging in any kind of excess, to seek knowledge and know better than to talk about something that you know nothing about, to treat your fellow man/woman with the respect that he/she deserves, being polite to others, etc, etc, etc...
The viking beliefs don't have a "kill people who believe different stuff than you do" clause, something that's found in all the religious texts of the monotheistic systems.

Just so you know.

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

Hauser

Quote from: Miniar on June 14, 2010, 10:31:35 AM
Wait, what?
I have yet to meet any atheist that is fully and completely without doubt.
Most, if not all, atheists that I know tend to lean towards science, and science exists on doubt and probability, not 100% certainty. 

:icon_rockon:  ^^this. absolutely and totally this.
  •  

tekla

Judging by the amount of unanswered prayers on the part of our members I can also state that science religion exists on doubt and probability, not 100% certainty.

FIFY
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Silver

Hey hey, to whoever said it, just because I don't believe in any gods doesn't mean I don't have any morals. Rather than go by what the book says, I come to my own conclusions about what's right and what's wrong. I don't need a god to tell me what's supposed to bother me. If it does, it does.
  •  

spacial

Quote from: tekla on June 14, 2010, 10:52:48 AM
Judging by the amount of unanswered prayers on the part of our members I can also state that science religion exists on doubt and probability, not 100% certainty.

FIFY

That would only apply if there were some sort of guarantee about prayer.

Quite often, the answer is no.  :D
  •  

Just Kate

Quote from: SilverFang on June 15, 2010, 01:19:45 AM
Hey hey, to whoever said it, just because I don't believe in any gods doesn't mean I don't have any morals. Rather than go by what the book says, I come to my own conclusions about what's right and what's wrong. I don't need a god to tell me what's supposed to bother me. If it does, it does.

You are the supreme arbiter of right and wrong deciding what is right and wrong based on your own experience and cognitive abilities.

Am I also the same?

If I am and you are, who is right?  We cannot both be.

Or do we take a relativistic viewpoint where we are both right in our respective spheres.  But what happens when those spheres converge, how then do we decide who is right?  Is there a supreme arbiter of morality greater than both of ours?

If I take the belief of a deity out of morals I prefer Kant's Categorical Imperative, "Act only according to that maxim whereby you can at the same time will that it should become a universal law."

The only problem with that is, are we really sure what maxims can be made universal law with such a limited human perspective?  Even if the collective human mind were able to work out a moral code accepted by humanity, aren't we still lacking in that we only exist at one time and one place?  Wouldn't it imply that we need to know EVERYTHING before being able to decide what is an appropriate action and what is not?

In the end we act on the best information we have available to us, but one person may call those morals while another immorality.
Ill no longer be defined by my condition. From now on, I'm just, Kate.

http://autumnrain80.blogspot.com
  •