Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Most trans-friendly city

Started by Kristyn, June 06, 2010, 07:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kristyn

Quote from: Evan on June 07, 2010, 09:37:51 PM
if you like having one wardrobe, not one for each season, and you're up for 95 degree heat with humidity that hits you two steps out the door in summer.. there is no where better to live.. but then again I'm biased, ft lauderdale born and raised :)

That's definitely what I like!!!!
  •  

tekla

In SF you only need one wardrobe.  I know people there who have never owned a pair of shorts.  Winter is cold, and summer is even colder.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Kristyn

Quote from: tekla on June 07, 2010, 10:17:53 PM
In SF you only need one wardrobe.  I know people there who have never owned a pair of shorts.  Winter is cold, and summer is even colder.

REALLY!  I would have thought it to be warm there--you're talking San Francisco, right?  OK, that's off my list.  I'd still like to visit, though.
  •  

tekla

Yeah, all the tourists show up in summer and think "hey it's Cali, its got to be hot" not remembering that Mark Twain (allegedly) said "the coldest winter I ever spend was a summer in San Francisco."  However, go ten miles away, and you got high 80s and into the 90s.  Its the micro-climate deal.
  •  

Deanna_Renee

I spent an August week in SF some years ago to photograph an international bikini contest (of all things). The strangest most bizarre weather I have ever seen. I was told they were having the hottest and sunniest weather they had seen in years that week - the highest temps were approaching 70 in the afternoon. I was a bit surprised.

The strangest thing of all was driving from the Ritz Carlton to Golden Gate Park and seeing this wall of fog that stretched in a straight line that ran for miles, parallel to California St (I think that was the name of the street). This wasn't just a freak few minutes, but every day that week, always in the same spot (right over the park where we were shooting). Every afternoon the fog burned off for a few hours and came back in the evening.
  •  

sweetangel93

I am going to go with san francisco, new york, new orleans, and atlanta.
  •  

lilacwoman

Quote from: tekla on June 07, 2010, 10:31:00 PM
Yeah, all the tourists show up in summer and think "hey it's Cali, its got to be hot" not remembering that Mark Twain (allegedly) said "the coldest winter I ever spend was a summer in San Francisco."  However, go ten miles away, and you got high 80s and into the 90s.  Its the micro-climate deal.
This is why its baffling to us foreigners to watch Bullitt and see Steve McQueen in think sweater under thick cord jackect and everyone including the baddies in the Charger in jackets and coats in blazing sun.  and in the old series 'Streets of SF' old Karl Maulden always had a three piece suit and a topcoat on!
In England we think sun = warmth.
  •  

justmeinoz

If you like 4 seasons in one day Melbourne is hard to beat.

It can get hot (100 F and up) in summer, and be either humid, or bone dry with a North Wind like a blast furnace, then a cool change will come in from the South and it will drop 20 degrees in an hour.

Winter can be wet, drizzly and miserable (no snow though), or start with a frost and fog, and clear to 70 and not a cloud in the sky. 
(I'm old enough to remember what Farenheit is)

If you like it plain warm to hot and dry most of the year then Adelaide is probably more your style.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

justme19

Quote from: justmeinoz on June 08, 2010, 07:50:49 AM
If you like 4 seasons in one day Melbourne is hard to beat.

It can get hot (100 F and up) in summer, and be either humid, or bone dry with a North Wind like a blast furnace, then a cool change will come in from the South and it will drop 20 degrees in an hour.

Winter can be wet, drizzly and miserable (no snow though), or start with a frost and fog, and clear to 70 and not a cloud in the sky. 
(I'm old enough to remember what Farenheit is)

If you like it plain warm to hot and dry most of the year then Adelaide is probably more your style.

This..... Melbourne = good :D
and the snow is only a few hours drive away in snow season :)
  •  

justmeinoz

True, if we want snow we have to go to it, although New Zealand has better skiing.
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

Bam

Just don't come to Jacksonville Fl.it used to be called Cowville give you any idea what it is like!!!
  •  

Evan

Quote from: Bam on June 08, 2010, 09:15:12 AM
Just don't come to Jacksonville Fl.it used to be called Cowville give you any idea what it is like!!!
and the paper mill stink too, yuck...
  •  

Julie Marie

I think what you will find is in any place that is considered trans friendly you will find pockets that are and pockets that are not.  Florida, as a state, is fairly conservative.  Even allegedly gay governor Crist has done everything to label himself straight, including supporting anti gay rights issues.

If you're going to settle in the US, first look for the states that have trans protection rights in place.  (See map)  From there look for specific jurisdictions that have trans protection laws in place. (LINK) Both will give you a "climate" for determining trans friendly.

Of course, talking to people who live there and visiting those places will give you a better idea but IMHO every place you consider will ultimately be determined as trans friendly based on what you bring with you, like personal attitude.

When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •  

Bam

Evan,we finally got rid of the paper mill smell,but you were right it stunk really bad!!!!
  •  

LordKAT

Quote from: Bam on June 08, 2010, 11:44:06 AM
Evan,we finally got rid of the paper mill smell,but you were right it stunk really bad!!!!

Smells better than Kentucky fried chicken place.
  •  

darklady

Presidential election 2000 results map tells also a lot. But of course only in general level.
  •  

tekla

That cold weather pattern, caused by the fog, is pretty much only in the City of SF and a few low places in Marin.  Outside of there the temps in the summer are routinely in the high 80s/low 90s, (31-34C) in Sonoma we get a few days over 100, and have had highs of 118. (37-47C).  The way it works is that the hotter the temps are inland, the more fog is pulled through the Golden Gate, so SF stays cold.  I could leave Oakland when it was in the high 80s and 10 miles away its in the 50s.  Go down to Silicone Valley and San Jose/Morgan Hill it gets very hot also.
  •  

Kristyn

Quote from: Julie Marie on June 08, 2010, 10:21:19 AM
I think what you will find is in any place that is considered trans friendly you will find pockets that are and pockets that are not.  Florida, as a state, is fairly conservative.  Even allegedly gay governor Crist has done everything to label himself straight, including supporting anti gay rights issues.

If you're going to settle in the US, first look for the states that have trans protection rights in place.  (See map)  From there look for specific jurisdictions that have trans protection laws in place. (LINK) Both will give you a "climate" for determining trans friendly.

Of course, talking to people who live there and visiting those places will give you a better idea but IMHO every place you consider will ultimately be determined as trans friendly based on what you bring with you, like personal attitude.

Thanks Julie, this is something that I never even thought of.  Judging from these links both California and Florida look good--California moreso than Florida.  I just need year round sun and heat
  •  

Jude_

You mentioned Detroit, well, Ann Arbor michigan is a very trans-friendly place too. It has a HUGE trans community. Ferndale too. 

Definitely San Francisco would be very accepting.

Also Portland, Oregon.
  •  

Pica Pica

You seem a bit squeamish for most of the UK - you have to be prepared to muck in with the great majority of people if you in a city and as for the countryside - eesh - it's countryside. Also, everyone would laugh at your accent, but everyone laughs at everyone's accent - it's a thing.

If you were coming Brighton and North London are very open places... I hear great things about Manchester, Leeds and Liverpool too but they are up norf do I don't have much to do with them. As for Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland - I wouldn't even bother

As for money, I'm guessing your talking dollars - that means £20-25k, a very liveable wage, somewhere around the area of a middle manager/ teacher (and about 15k more than me, and I survive most of the time).
'For the circle may be squared with rising and swelling.' Kit Smart
  •