Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Mace, tasers and tranks

Started by fionabell, December 02, 2011, 06:30:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fionabell

I was thinking the other day, how effective is martial arts when you compare it with mace?

Not bloody much!

I want mace baby!

Can we have a discussion about what is legal and what is not, and how best to get our hands on the good stuff? >:-)

Don't forget, different countries/states have different laws. :police:

•  

Constance

Years ago I'd heard from a sensei that it was best to avoid weapons other than one's hand and feet because (under normal circumstances) they can't be taken from you. I had a friend who was murdered by his own gun. It had been taken from his girlfriend who was trying to stop a fight between him and another man. The other overpowered the girlfriend and killed my friend with his own gun.

The sensei basically said you use your hands and feet to do unto others then run like hell.

I don't carry weapons of any kind, and my martial arts training was more than 20 years ago. That said, I have thought about getting a "cobra" steel whip-type thing. It's non lethal, but I'm not so sure of it's legality here in California. I do have a 3 D-cell Maglite that weighs a kilo with the batteries in it. It's a light, a blunt object and I can carry it openly or concealed. It's not a weapon. But if I were to hit somebody the wrong way with it, it could kill.

Right now, I rely on simply being openly observant as my best defense. I try to be aware of my surroundings and I try to show that I am aware of my surroundings.

Jen61

Welcome to Virginia, you can carry a concealed weapon (permit required). My dog name is colt, he was born in 1911 and still going strong.

Mace is no good, it will not stop a determined attacker, just enraged him more, it gives you a false sense of security. At the end it does not matter which weapon you carry, even your fists, make sure you train, and train, and train. Training includes mental training, visualizing yourself in circumstances where you have to use it.
  •  

Devlyn

Your dog barks really loud! Hugs, Tracey
  •  

fionabell

Wow I'm not hearing a lot of support for mace. Dam you imperfect world! >:(
  •  

stldrmgrl

Quote from: Jen61 on December 03, 2011, 01:54:08 PM
Welcome to Virginia, you can carry a concealed weapon (permit required). My dog name is colt, he was born in 1911 and still going strong.

Mace is no good, it will not stop a determined attacker, just enraged him more, it gives you a false sense of security. At the end it does not matter which weapon you carry, even your fists, make sure you train, and train, and train. Training includes mental training, visualizing yourself in circumstances where you have to use it.

Florida as well, and I exercise my right to carry.

However, "Mace" (by the way is a company's name, not a generic term for OC spray) has come along over the past years.  I work armed security and carry OC spray, and let me tell you that Fox 5.3 spray will take down anyone; that stuff is insanely powerful.

Now, before this escalates into many different possible scenarios, let me just reiterate that if facing an assailant with a firearm, I am not suggesting to pull out your OC spray expecting to scare him/her.  If an assailant has a firearm pointed at you, assume he/she will shoot you.  Think smart.  Sometimes the best defense is simply to comply or if the opportunity allows, run away.  Safety should be the number one concern, not winning.
  •  

nickikim

I was actually trained in flashlight......
I was once told if you can't win the fist fight you gotta win the foot race.
Here you can't buy mace, but you can legally buy bear spray , which is. ...... mace. 
Quote from: Shades O'Grey on December 03, 2011, 12:56:05 PM
Years ago I'd heard from a sensei that it was best to avoid weapons other than one's hand and feet because (under normal circumstances) they can't be taken from you. I had a friend who was murdered by his own gun. It had been taken from his girlfriend who was trying to stop a fight between him and another man. The other overpowered the girlfriend and killed my friend with his own gun.

The sensei basically said you use your hands and feet to do unto others then run like hell.

I don't carry weapons of any kind, and my martial arts training was more than 20 years ago. That said, I have thought about getting a "cobra" steel whip-type thing. It's non lethal, but I'm not so sure of it's legality here in California. I do have a 3 D-cell Maglite that weighs a kilo with the batteries in it. It's a light, a blunt object and I can carry it openly or concealed. It's not a weapon. But if I were to hit somebody the wrong way with it, it could kill.

Right now, I rely on simply being openly observant as my best defense. I try to be aware of my surroundings and I try to show that I am aware of my surroundings.
the catch is you can't legally carry it outside of "bear habitat"  and if you spray some one who attacked you, you'll probably get more time than they do. That is,  if you stick around.  Do unto others then split...
wow, I got a button that does this "..." I did not know that!

quote]
  •  

fionabell

I've been bashed a few times when i was younger because I had a nice face and a girly attitude(i suppose). it's never good to get hurt. So worrying about whether they are hurt too much is not worth it.
  •  

nickikim

Quote from: fionabell link=topic=111533.msg850101#msg850101 date=132363 :-\8660
I've been bashed a few times when i was younger because I had a nice face and a girly attitude(i suppose). it's never good to get hurt. So worrying about whether they are hurt too much is not worth it.
I was tortured by my peers through most of my school years, it kind of made me a monster
I never can quite get away from a state of ready for attack,  The advantage of martial arts over mace is you never forget to bring it, but high spinning kicks an prayingmantis humps a donkey pose, don't work outside the dojo. Hair pulling eye poking and sharp objects ftw. 
  •