Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Julia Sweeney's "Letting Go of God"

Started by Julie Marie, June 22, 2010, 08:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julie Marie

I just saw this last night on Showtime and I was really impressed.  I had no idea Julia Sweeney was as intelligent and talented as she is.  Most of my exposure to her was as Pat on SNL.

This is not some sort of trashing God or religion type of play.  Sweeney presents her perspective in a sweet, warm way, always being open to anything.  But what is ironic is this all started when two Mormons knocked on her door in hopes of "saving" her.

After extensive scientific study and research she reached the conclusion, reluctantly, that there is no god.  Sweeney came from a typical Irish Catholic family and when she told her parents she let go of god they cut her out of their life.  Too many of us know that feeling.  But they were always close and eventually they came to accept their daughter's beliefs.

The way she presents this is simply wonderful.  This is not a statement supporting atheism but rather one describing how she struggled with her religious teachings and how many of them contradicted scientific fact, so much so that she immersed herself into learning all she can about both the bible and science.  It's impressive how much she retained.

At times funny, at times heartfelt, it's recommended viewing for anyone open to analyzing the battle so many face when their religious beliefs clash with science.

When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •  

justmeinoz

More a commentary on believers than God, but some very funny lines. :laugh:
"Don't ask me, it was on fire when I lay down on it"
  •  

spacial

Watched this yesterday and also tried to watch some of the others stuff on her YouTube page.

Have to say, it doesn't travel very well. But I'm pleased you enjoyed it.
  •  

Julie Marie

I'm not sure if the comments were from seeing her whole play or just bits and pieces.  If it's the latter, they don't do the play justice.
  •  

cynthialee

Just went to youtube and watched the entirety of it. (7 total videos)
She was doing so well then it ends with her reciting the scripture.."I shall fear no evil..."

shame
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
Sun Tsu 'The art of War'
  •  

Julie Marie

Quote from: cynthialee on June 23, 2010, 09:32:32 AM
Just went to youtube and watched the entirety of it. (7 total videos)
She was doing so well then it ends with her reciting the scripture.."I shall fear no evil..."

shame

Throughout the entire play there was the struggle between what she was brought up to believe and what the facts, scientific, medical and otherwise, told her. I saw it as the struggle between child and adult, sort of like letting go of Santa Clause.  You like a world where there's a Santa but you know it is fantasy.  Still, you, even as an adult, talk about Santa as if he exists.  I think a lot of people do that with god because they can't accept this being the only life we will ever have.

But from the show I saw on TV, it ended with a conversation between her and her 4 year old daughter talking about god.  Then her daughter asks if they can go to Legoland, kind of putting all this talk into the perspective of a 4 year old.  To which Sweeney replies, yes, let's go.  Then the credits began to roll.  It seemed abrupt but once I realized it was over I thought the end was fitting.

BTW, the entire play on Showtime lasted 135 minutes with no breaks.
  •