Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Is testosterone gel just as good as injections?

Started by owl, June 24, 2010, 04:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaddySplicer

Quote from: Damian on June 24, 2010, 09:23:12 PM
Wow! it really worked out for you!

Yes, yes it did. And with all the greasiness of a 1950s salesman, "It can work for you, too!".
  •  

SnailPace

I actually like the idea of gel for that reason given earlier on here (nice level hormones, all the time).  Also, no big scary needle!
  •  

Silver

Quote from: SnailPace on June 25, 2010, 02:28:33 AM
I actually like the idea of gel for that reason given earlier on here (nice level hormones, all the time).  Also, no big scary needle!

Only problem is that gel is a lot more expensive. And it can be absorbed by people who touch you (girlfriend?)
  •  

Arch

Quote from: SilverFang on June 25, 2010, 03:34:24 AMOnly problem is that gel is a lot more expensive. And it can be absorbed by people who touch you (girlfriend?)

Cat. (Which is why I didn't start Rogaine but jumped directly to Finasteride pills, lol.)
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •  

cynthialee

Quote from: SilverFang on June 25, 2010, 03:34:24 AM
Only problem is that gel is a lot more expensive. And it can be absorbed by people who touch you (girlfriend?)
True that. I have to keep hands off my mate for 2 hours after hir gel is applyed. And yes the cost is much higher for the gel.
So it is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you can win a hundred battles without a single loss.
If you only know yourself, but not your opponent, you may win or may lose.
If you know neither yourself nor your enemy, you will always endanger yourself.
Sun Tsu 'The art of War'
  •  

owl

yeah dr  benson told me it was 300 $ a month. I cant afford that..
  •  

SnailPace

Well, I have a boyfriend so it probably wouldn't have too many adverse affects on him (other than it would be less for me!).  But that price is pretty steep!  I'll have to talk to my doc anyways, see what's available around my neck of the woods.
  •  

Muddy

I'm just starting testosterone cream, currently on day four.

The cream is custom compounded via a local compounding pharmacy, and costs $30 for a 30 day supply, out of pocket.
Compounded is almost always cheaper, because there is no generic of the un-compounded gel as of yet, and name brand always costs more.

Because I have mental health issues, cream was a better choice for me personally, as both my doctor and I were concerned about fluctuations associated with injection and how that might exacerbate existing issues.
  •  

SnailPace

Was that a typo?  $30 is considerably less than $300, I like the sound of that!  Did you have the option to take the crazy expensive kind? (Why would anyone choose to pay $270 extra?)
  •  

Muddy

Nope.  Not a typo.
My rx costs $30 US, for a 30 day supply.

The Testim and Androgel preparations are name brand, produced by only one company.  Name brand rx's are always far more expensive than generic, and there are no generic brands of those gels on the market in the US.

However, your prescribing doctor can write an rx for custom compounded gel or cream, that you take to a compounding pharmacy, for individual preparation.

I was never even asked if I wanted to try the name brand [I would have declined, anyway]. 
I honestly don't understand why a doctor would ever prescribe the expensive name brand, when a custom compounded generic is a fraction of the price, and does exactly the same thing.
  •  

SnailPace

Make sure to let us know how it works out for you!  (And thanks a lot for that info, it will be very helpful when negotiating with my doctor.)
  •  

owl

sweet muddy! i will bring this up to my doctor. thanks.
  •  

Jude_

I have a friend who has been on Androgel for about  2 years. He has a full beard, and his voice has dropped completely. It definitely works, but the changes are slower to start because it has to build up in your system. I have a couple other friends who use it too, and everything is going well for them.

It's also common for people who have been having emotional up and downs on the injections to switch to the gel because it's every day, so you don't get the down. Your hormone levels are much more steady on the gel. Just be patient, because it takes longer to start to see changes. I 100% guarantee that it works though.

Congrats Damian!
The only other downside that i've heard about the gel, is that it's more expensive. ALSO, there is a risk of cross contamination with other people. Be sure to wash your hands! And you have to wash your sheets/bedding if you have someone else sleep in your bed. You also gotta be careful about sharing shirts with people.
  •