Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Got any great gigs planned?

Started by Turtle, June 20, 2010, 07:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turtle

Hi - anyone going to see any great bands soon? I have three AWESOME concerts lined up: Bad Religion in August (one of only 5 UK gigs), Bowling for Soup in October, and the mighty Biffy Clyro in December.
  •  

tekla

I've got Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings, and two nights of the Backstreet Boys, as well as doing the ALICE in the Park deal (Lifehouse, Kris Allen, One eskimO) - and they will as be great as soon as the check clears.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Jasmine.m

I have tickets to Roger Waters. And I'm thinking of going to moe. in July.
  •  

tekla

Yeah Waters is touring The Wall this time isn't he?  I don't think that tour makes it here till December, which tends to be a busy time for the venues I'm chained to, but it would be nice to work it.  His last tour was fairly enjoyable.
  •  

Jasmine.m

Tek,
He is doing The Wall, in it entirety. I think this only like the fourth time he's done it. I saw him a while ago on the In The Flesh tour and he just rocked. He's a real stickler for the 'original' sound. Took two guitarist to equal one Gimour. It was an awesome show. This one will be, too.

Edit: I've seen the props they used for the original tour at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. I wonder if they'll use new stuff or similar stuff or just request they get the old ones back?! :P

Edit 2: Favorite solo Waters tune? 4:41 AM (Sexual Revolution). Yours?

•  

tekla

Pink Floyd toured (sort of) The Wall when they released it.  I think they did like a week in NYC and a week in LA (because if you're not from the US, what else matters?)  I know he did it in Berlin when the real Wall fell.

I'm kinda weird I guess.  I like everything before DSotM a hella lot more than everything after lot less by increasing degrees.  So DSotM was Good, WYWH, OK, the rest, nah.  Personaly, I think that The Wall could have been a 45 with Comfortably Numb on one side, and Run Like Hell* on the other and the world would not have missed the rest which is a lot of sobby, 'oh crap I'm so rich and being a rock star sucks' kind of stuff.

Now, if he would go out and play Meddle, Obscured By Clouds and Saucerfull of Secrets - that would be awesome.

moe. however, they have been playing very well the last year and I can't wait for their next Fillmore show.

* - oddly enough - or not - I think those are the two Gillmore songs on The Wall.
  •  

Stella Blue

Roger seems to be tapped out creatively lately... as far as making anything new. He was supposedly working on a new album for the past 15 years or so but it never got along. I still enjoy his tours of late. I saw the DSOTM show one and half times... will be attending The Wall if I can afford it at any point between now and when he comes around here in October I believe. I would have liked a tour with some new stuff and older stuff mixed in but lately Roger seems to be into taking out the money making classics on the road with his modern political views put into them. Maybe he also doesn't want the last performance of the wall to be the Berlin version...  :eusa_sick:

Comfortably Numb did begin as a Gilmour demo for his solo album he was working on at the time. It ended up being put on The Wall with Roger working on the lyrics. Gilmour did also write the music for Run Like Hell, and he and Roger would exchange vocals on the live versions.

The production of this tour is going to be immense though, I believe there is info on it on the tour website. One thing I will say about Roger, while his ticket prices are usually fairly high the quality of the show you see is top notch visually and sound.

Besides that I'm certainly going to see Furthur at Nokia Theater in July, and hopefully The Fleet Foxes will tour after their new album release before the year ends... that is all that is on my list as of now. Probably all I will be able to afford anyways...
  •  

tekla

Never any problem with the sound/visuals, it's what they were famous for in the long run.  The downside (if you think of it as being a downside, and many do not) is that those shows, to pull off those very intricate visuals with split-second timing are, as one of my old bosses would say "are choreographed within an inch past their life."

Like, as I'm sure you know if you're going to see Furthur, people used to trade Dead shows on tape/CDs like crazy because everyone was unique.  But within the bootleg community the saying always was, 'if you have one Waters/Gilmore show you have them all' because they never varied at all.
  •  

Jasmine.m

Quote from: tekla on June 21, 2010, 03:07:43 PM
Never any problem with the sound/visuals, it's what they were famous for in the long run.  The downside (if you think of it as being a downside, and many do not) is that those shows, to pull off those very intricate visuals with split-second timing are, as one of my old bosses would say "are choreographed within an inch past their life."

Like, as I'm sure you know if you're going to see Furthur, people used to trade Dead shows on tape/CDs like crazy because everyone was unique.  But within the bootleg community the saying always was, 'if you have one Waters/Gilmore show you have them all' because they never varied at all.

This is why I like moe. so much! Every show is unique, individual and filled with just straight up jams!
  •  

Stella Blue

This is true, especially with Roger Waters the shows are rehearsed and down to a key.. the timing for the shows is near exact. I believe he uses a click track to keep timing as well. Even in the early days of Pink Floyd that were a bit more experimental the set rarely varied and there are MANY songs that were never played live. That is what I like most about the dead, furthur, ect... is that there is always more to hear at least for me because it has only been a couple of years since I've been digging deeper into the the music. I like the feeling of surprise when you don't know what is coming next... the surprise of a Jack Straw's final note leading into Wharf Rat which was part of one of the better Furthur shows I listened to on the archives. IMO Furthur is as tight of a post grateful dead band as there has ever been in playing this music.
  •  

tekla

Plus (and for me its a HUGE plus) they play in 1,000 seat halls, not arenas and stadiums.  I've thought that Umphry's McGee has been playing well of late also.  Hot Tuna never fails to play their asses off either, totally the highpoint of the Furthur Fest was their acoustic set on the tiny stage.

Still, dollar for dollar, pound for pound (and he's got a few packed on), song for song it's hard to beat Govm't Mule because on just about any given night Warren Haynes is the best guitar picker playing anywhere in the world.
  •