Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

"We need to know WHY you failed to register with Selective Service"

Started by Arch, July 15, 2010, 08:03:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arch

I'm applying for education and job training through the EDD. I can't afford this training on my own, so I need government funding. I'm interested in three certificate programs, two of which should be very helpful in terms of professional enhancement. These programs are even offered at my old undergrad institution, through Extension. How cool is that?

So I went down to the career office where people apply for such benefits. I started the ball rolling by filling out a preliminary application form and proving that I'm receiving EDD benefits and all of that. The application form asked about my Selective Service status, so I had the foresight to bring a copy of my SIL (Status Information Letter). It took me, what, four months to get it? So I'm glad I had it handy. The woman I talked to asked me why I failed to register. I wasn't ready for that question, so I said "medical reasons" and told her I preferred not to be specific. In retrospect, perhaps I should have said, "Isn't that Privacy Act information?"

I just got home from running an errand, and there's a message on my machine from the gal at the career center. I still have hoops to jump through, but she now says that in order for them to proceed any further, they have to know the specific reason that I failed to register. They are requesting "a preponderance of evidence" that supports my allegation that I was properly exempt. They have a copy of my SIL, and of course it says that I was not required to register, but it does not state the reason. Apparently, the letter is not enough.

Obviously, I'm not keen on outing myself, and I feel that I should not be required to out myself. I was under the impression that as long as the federal government is happy and has said that I was not required to register, I am not obligated to provide any more information to anyone who requests it. I'm planning to consult with the Transgender Law Center on this--I'll send them an e-mail tonight--but I'm wondering if anyone at Susan's has any specific knowledge or experience along these lines.
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •  

tekla

I feel that I should not be required to out myself.

Your not, unless you want Government (read: someone elses taxes) money.  So how is it that someone with your level of education - ABD right? needs more training, more education and still needs other people's money to do it?
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

Arch

Quote from: tekla on July 15, 2010, 08:14:42 PMYour not, unless you want Government (read: someone elses taxes) money.  So how is it that someone with your level of education - ABD right? needs more training, more education and still needs other people's money to do it?

Wow. You live in California and don't know how badly our state's public postsecondary education has been hit by the state and national economy? Talk about oblivious...

•  

Griffin

The easiest thing to do, really, is to get a status update letter (ie written exemption) if you are 26+.  If you are under 26, you can either register for selective service or get a written exemption letter.  It takes about 4 weeks to receive once you mail off your request, but it's worth it obviously.  It just says that you are exempt, not the reason why.  If you're legally female on any documents, you can explain your medical situation to your school's financial aid if you want.

Basically it boils down to this:  SSS doesn't require you to register and won't prosecute you for not registering (you're exempt obviously), but you are still required to register because of federal Financial Aid standards.  It sounds like a catch-22, but after loooong talks with Selective Service, they said that I can register but that I don't have to.

I still have the full shebang (FTM) and explained this at length to them, but also let them know that my state ID would be changing from F to M.  This was a year ago, so you should call them just to make sure this still stands.

As for the outlandish cost of a doctoral degree, I can only wince at my future six-figure loan bill for my psychology doctorate.  :icon_yikes: FWIW, pretty much all of the money available at that level is in the form of loans. 
  •  

LordKAT

What is wrong with simply saying you did not register beause you are not required to register and have provided proof of that statement with your SIL.
  •  

Griffin

Quote from: LordKAT on July 18, 2010, 01:27:27 PM
What is wrong with simply saying you did not register beause you are not required to register and have provided proof of that statement with your SIL.

Ahhh, I didn't see that part.  Yeah, an SIL is all that is required of you.  Just say "medical" or that you're not comfortable talking about it.  If they persist, go over their heads to an administrator at the school.
  •  

Arch

We kept going around in circles on this. She would ask why I failed to register, and I would say that I didn't register because I was exempt. Then she would say that she needed to know the exact reason I was exempt, and her office needed proof. And I kept saying that the SIL was proof of my exemption and that the federal government had already determined that I had committed no wrongdoing. And then she would tell me that her office now needed to determine whether I had committed any wrongdoing. And I would say that this had already been decided by the feds. And so on. It got very tiresome after a while, but she finally agreed to speak to her supervisor again.

I really do think they are confused about their guidelines.

Griffin, I don't know anything about how your major works at the grad level, but people in the sciences and humanities often get fellowships and TAships and RAships to cover their education.

•  

rejennyrated

People like that make my blood boil. Personally in a similar situation I would have just told her very bluntly:

"LOOK I am a post op trans person - I know my rights, and I DON'T appreciate your pathetic and obvious attempt to embarrass me. So wind your neck in missy!

I want to talk to your supervisor STAT! or I promise you this complaint will go as high as I can take it! NOW MOVE!"

On the odd occasion in the past when I have come up against some brainless jobsworth twit in a government office I've given speeches like that to UK versions of your "little miss nosey"  - they have always ended up having to grovel in apology - sometimes on the end of a supervisors boot! But maybe in the US supervisors are less robust.
  •  

Arch

The funny thing is that initially, I was only told that I had to give the reason that I failed to register. So I say I didn't register because I was exempt, and here's my proof. Then they decide to take it a step further, but that's not what they were saying at first.

If I have to, I'll meet with the supervisor and demand to see the written guidelines.

I was supposed to hear back today, but all I get is the lovely sound of crickets on my answering machine. That's okay. I'm still waiting to hear from TLC.

•  

Griffin

Sounds like she is just being nosy.  Hopefully the supervisor is more understanding.

Quote from: Arch on July 20, 2010, 11:19:35 AMGriffin, I don't know anything about how your major works at the grad level, but people in the sciences and humanities often get fellowships and TAships and RAships to cover their education.

All of the healthcare-related fields are super-expensive and it's a total mixed bag.  For psychology, it really depends on the program and the base cost.  For Rutgers, they have ~2% admission rate, but pay the full $29k/yr tuition plus stipend because they get tons of research grants.  Widener has a 10% admit rate, but costs ~$25k/yr out-of-pocket because they focus on clinical and outreach - RA & TA are less common there, but you do make a bit in year 4 and 5 from your internship.  Gallaudet costs $11k/yr and they pay most of it for RAships (they are partially subsidized by the government).  I'd love to go to Gallaudet, I think the trans-deaf population is super-underserved and looks like a great environment.

•  

Arch

Quote from: Griffin on July 22, 2010, 01:39:44 AM
Sounds like she is just being nosy.  Hopefully the supervisor is more understanding.

All of the healthcare-related fields are super-expensive and it's a total mixed bag.  For psychology, it really depends on the program and the base cost.  For Rutgers, they have ~2% admission rate, but pay the full $29k/yr tuition plus stipend because they get tons of research grants.  Widener has a 10% admit rate, but costs ~$25k/yr out-of-pocket because they focus on clinical and outreach - RA & TA are less common there, but you do make a bit in year 4 and 5 from your internship.  Gallaudet costs $11k/yr and they pay most of it for RAships (they are partially subsidized by the government).  I'd love to go to Gallaudet, I think the trans-deaf population is super-underserved and looks like a great environment.

This is fascinating. I have a (hearing) trans friend who is doing deaf studies at the local CC right now. He is going like gangbusters and should be able to transfer back to a four-year school in a couple of years.

I hope you can get good funding. We need more people like you.

I heard back from TLC...the attorney there says he's never heard of a situation in which someone's Status Information Letter is considered insufficient. I haven't heard from the career center, either. I'll call them if I don't hear back this week.

•  

Diane Elizabeth

Maybe you should tell them yoou are illegaly in the country and demand free schooling and all the other benefits that the gov hands out.
Having you blanket in the wash is like finding your psychiatrist is gone for the weekend!         Linus "Peanuts"
  •  

LordKAT

•  

Arch

She never called back at all. I didn't follow up because I got about one week's notice that I was definitely teaching summer school, and I had to scramble to put the class together.

I was hoping to get the timing right on this. The new fiscal year just started, and I was sort of hoping that I could be put on the list for funding while I was still unemployed, then I would teach the class for a few weeks if I got the job, then I would probably be unemployed again and perhaps get approved for funding during that time. I can try again when I'm done with summer school, but who knows--I might get some fall classes and be employed again. That would be great, except that I'm trying to break into community colleges at a time when people are being laid off, and I could use a couple of certificate programs to broaden my qualifications. I don't want the funding to dry up while I'm busy working part-time temporary jobs that don't really help me career-wise.

I heard from TLC, though. The attorney said he'd never heard of a situation in which the SIL was not enough. Later, he wrote back and included the last bulleted point from the basic instructions. For anyone who hasn't seen it, I'll reproduce it here:

"If you are being denied a right, benefit, or privilege because you are not registered, submit a copy of your Status Information Letter and an explanation for your failure to register, to the Agency administering the right, benefit, or privilege. That Agency will make the final determination regarding your eligibility. The Selective Service System does not determine your eligibility for any right, benefit, or privilege."

I had been hoping that this passage means that if you didn't register because you were exempt, all you have to do is produce a copy of the SIL and say, "I didn't register because I was exempt." In truth, I'm not sure whether this is true, and I was hoping that the TLC might actually know. I have a friend who used to work for the EDD, and he says I shouldn't have to disclose, but the EDD and the folks I'm working with might have different policies.

The only wording that really gives me pause is the last two sentences--that the agency in question, not the SSS, gets to determine my eligibility for this funding.

I don't know if I'm going to follow up on this right now, because I'm working. But I will definitely pick it up in a month or so and see if I can get to the bottom of it. If I have to disclose, I will. The TLC assures me that if I face any trans-related discrimination, they'll be on it.

Sometimes I really feel like kicking myself. If I hadn't spent so many years desperately trying to evade my transness (and being nonfunctional or barely functional as a result) I could have made a lot more career progress. But if I had tried to take on anything extra during those years, I would have become overwhelmed pretty quickly, and I might not even be here today. At least I'm somewhat functional now, and I'm getting my act together as best I can. I'm not as depressed as I used to be, and I don't feel like offing myself anytime soon. I guess the bottom line is that I'm still alive. And actually glad of it, most days.

•  

LordKAT

QuoteI guess the bottom line is that I'm still alive. And actually glad of it, most days.
Add to that that you are making progress and not living in a well of regret for what you cannot change. You are doing well compared to some and worse than others which means you fit right in. It does sound like they can ask why you are exempt but I truly don't see why they should need to know that. I wouldn't qualify due to age but the cut off date does not do that on its own. I was considering just signing up knowing that I will never be called on in the first place.
  •  

Arch

Yeah, I'm better off than a lot of trans folks I know, and I'm working hard in therapy and trying to break down all of the walls...and compartments...and lies to myself...and, what do you know, it's actually working. I still got suicidal last winter, but I'm supposed to see a psychiatrist in a couple of months for my winter depression. I could handle winter when I was on antidepressants, but I'm trying to go it on my own now, and things can be touch and go. I really don't want to go back on depression meds again, but I do not intend to repeat last winter. Not this little black duck.

Anyway, I was thinking that if I were just a couple of years older, I wouldn't need to worry about registration questions because the cutoff is age fifty. But I'm just a tad too young. I think this is the first time I ever wished to be fifty...

•  

jmaxley

Good luck with it.  Sounds really really frustrating.  Man, I hate getting the runaround.
  •  

RAY

This sounds more of a fishing expedition to her wanting to expose you to her power that she has at the school. That way she can gather your information which makes her seem important at your personal expense. This person is not allow to know this information it has no bearing on your education purpose and is in fact illegal. You have privacy rights under the 1974 educational rights. The letter you have submitted is enough for your situation if she will not accept it then seek legal recourse with the TLC. The school I go to is not that enlighten to understand gender issues that others have and can put someone under a lot of stress.
  •