News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Gender identification at work

Started by JessicaR, August 21, 2010, 10:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JessicaR

Hey,

I'm 1 year, 3 months full time, name changed..... Has anyone had experience with changing their gender at work before they were able to change the gender marker on their ID?

There's a questionnaire that I'm required to complete in order to maintain my health insurance  coverage. The first question was "male or female." When I tried to check off female it caused an error message, stating that the info didn't match my employee record. I feel that I'm being forced to identify my gender incorrectly else I will be denied health insurance.

Any opinions? Recommendations?

Thanks in advance

•  

Janet_Girl

When I came out at my old employer, they changed the marker in my record because I had changed my D/L.  That in turn changed my health records.
  •  

Robyn

But if you change your employee records, there will be a mismatch with Social Security gender marker. Can't change that without SRS, although that could change as the US passport policy did this year.

Sounds like you need to talk with HR.

Robyn
When we walk to the edge of all the light we have and take the step into the darkness of the unknown, we must believe that one of two things will happen. There will be something solid for us to stand on or we will be taught to fly. — Patrick Overton
  •  

Janet_Girl

Actually this mismatch did happen at my employer, The letter is just a warning from the SSA.  It is up to the employer to look into it.

In my case she just put the letter in the round file.

And the SSA can be changed after Orchie.  It depends on what the letter says.
  •  

lilacwoman

can anyone think of any situations where being working as one gender while still legally the orgiginal might cause a problem such as in case of an accident to either the worker or the public,  of if the worker commits a crime, or the company commits a crime against the workers, or in case of a robbery etc.

There might come a situation where a person is denied damages or the company is charged with some offence by having workers who appear as one gender while legally the original.

There was a case in UK where a Muslim man wanted to charge a driving school with some offence because the school sent a MtF driving instructor to teach the wife to drive and Muslims women aren't supposed to be alone with non-related men?
Thanks to the Equal Opps Laws there was no case possible in UK but what about similar cases and situations in USA?
  •