Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Would you date a theist?

Started by meh, July 18, 2010, 05:11:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnneK

QuoteI also believe it takes just as much faith to declare that there is no god as it does to declare that there is.

Or more likely the courage to insist on evidence.  You may have heard of someone called Galileo.  He tried to show that the earth was not the centre of the universe, but was persecuted for that, as it challenged what the church insisted was fact.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

AnneK

QuoteI mean, I've come to the logical conclusion that it's not likely there's a God, but couldn't someone see all the strangeness of the universe and conclude that it's more likely this didn't come about as a random event?

If you believe in a god, then you have to explain where this god came from.  Seems to me, that's a much bigger problem than understanding the physics of the universe.  While we might never know the origins of the universe, it doesn't require a divine being.  It simply means we don't yet know.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

•  

AnneK

QuoteI mean, take life for example. The process by which life is replicated requires a genetic code (DNA, e.g.), a way of transferring that code without destroying it (for us, a handful of enzymes so complex their structure defies human envisioning), and a way of using it to produce a copy of itself (for us, a ribosome, a biological structure so unbelievably intricate and compact that it rivals anything technology has created).

With any two of those mechanisms, life snuffs out as fast as it's created. The only way it replicates is if all three appear at pretty much the same time.

Could someone educated not conclude that this is something too unlikely to happen by chance?

Given all the billions and billions of galaxies, each containing billions and billions of stars, perhaps it was just the result of random interaction that occured at some point within the 14 or so billion years the universe has been around.  Some elements of life, such as amino acids and basic proteins have already been created in labs.

•  

AnneK

QuoteI pretty much see differences in theologies pretty much the same as differences al liking different TV shows, foods, Clothing or anything else.

How many people have been murdered because they prefer a different TV show?

•  

SiobhánF

Alright, now, there's no need to get into a debate over creation stories or whatever. This is a thread about whether one who is not a theist would date someone who is a theist. Let's not derail this thread any more than it already has been. Thanks. ;)
Be your own master, not the slave to illusion;
The lord of your own life, not the servant to falsities;
Only then will you realize your true potential and shake off the burdens of your fears and doubts.

•  

DawnOday

I am a Deist, Just as the Founding Fathers were. Love and believe in God. Church not so much. This is coming from someone who had Grandparents that were evangelical ministers. Ministers that aligned with so many quacks. Such as Aimee Semple McPherson, Oral Roberts, AA Allen, and Jim Bakker. They would happily spend hours watching people sitting in golden thrones, with pink hair and enough eye makeup to make clowns feel undressed. So to answer your question. Would a Christian date me. Not only date me, marry me, have my two babies and spend the last 35 years with me.
Dawn Oday

It just feels right   :icon_hug: :icon_hug: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss: :icon_kiss:

If you have a a business or service that supports our community please submit for our Links Page.

First indication I was different- 1956 kindergarten
First crossdress - Asked mother to dress me in sisters costumes  Age 7
First revelation - 1982 to my present wife
First time telling the truth in therapy June 15, 2016
Start HRT Aug 2016
First public appearance 5/15/17

•  

RoteRosen

I used to think I would never be able to date a theist, but I was surprised when I did it to find that it didn't matter half as much as I thought. In that case we were able to find enough common ground in our politics, interests, and both being trans to make our religious views practically irrelevent. They were even training to become a vicar! If anything, the fact that they were not a mirror-image of myself made things more interesting.

Since then I have been a wobbly atheist-Quaker thing with one foot in each camp... I used to say that we either make up our own meaning in life and admit it, or make it up and pretend it was given to us by a God. I don't quite see it that way anymore but I found it to be a useful paradigm in the sense that, if it were true, theists were simply using a different vector to express an individuality that ultimately came from the same place. I think that softened things out for me.

These days my beliefs seem to change day by day and I couldn't care less whether or not my partner was a theist!
A redneck is more scared of you than you is of it
  •  

meatwagon

no, probably not.  i'll be friends with them, but it's too big of a difference to make a relationship work.  that may not be the case for other people, but for me it's a pretty huge deal because it says a lot about how they function as a person--which, in this case, is in a way that isn't really compatible with me for any kind of in-depth and long-term relationship.  and honestly, my personal beliefs/opinions would probably end up offending them anyway and that just wouldn't be fair to them, either.
  •  

Laurel D

I know this post is old, but I'm married to a theist. ( I was mildly religious when we start dating. ) I had to shed the religion in order to finally be able to live.

It works just fine as long as we're not disrespectful of each other. She doesn't go to church though, and isn't really preachy. I guess that's the other reason it works.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using Tapatalk

•  

cicilia

Quote from: meh on July 18, 2010, 05:11:44 PM
I don't think I could date a theist or anyone claiming to be spiritual. Atheism is just one of those things that we both have to have in common to be able to be in a relationship. I can't see how atheists and theists make it work in a relationship.

I found this funny button pin the other day that said "I only date atheists". haha I need to get that.

I feel the same.  I don't want to talk to Fideist.  I think so little of them as people because of that belief that I cannot bring myself to even talk to them.  I can understand Deism / Agnosticism;  but as soon as they say something about the Bible or Koran I'm out of there.   I recently read Islam caused over 660+ million deaths since 700 AD.  Christianity is over 100+ million.  I just can't fathom invisible omnipotent / omniscient sky daddies and holy wars, obligatory wars, and just wars per those sky daddy instructions.  Studies have indicated that 6% of all wars in human history involved religion. I recently was reading a publication a scientist wrote using forensic archaeology and quantitative ethnography as his research foundation.  13% of every homicide in homo sapien history is estimated to have involved religion. Now that research shows neanderthals (before homo sapien) had religion 200K years ago;  that means 13% of all homicides over a 200K year period.   Incredible and disgusting, all at the same time.
  •  

SiobhánF

I have studied plenty of religions (all the big name ones and some minor ones) enough to realize that it's not for me. I could date a theist, but I would end up arguing with them over their own religious text. I think I could, if I were so inclined, date a Hindu or a Wiccan/Druid, or just someone who believes in higher powers. Would I want a long-term relationship with them? That's really dependent upon how our relationship develops, but the answer is more than likely no.
Be your own master, not the slave to illusion;
The lord of your own life, not the servant to falsities;
Only then will you realize your true potential and shake off the burdens of your fears and doubts.

•  

VickyS

I did date a theist, but she cheated on me with a friend of mine who also did not know and she then had the cheek to compare us to each other face to face.  We confronted her and told her to choose between us and she said she would let Jesus decide.

We both then immediately left her and she had neither of us!   Isolated case I'm sure, but just goes to show that religion doesn't always ensure morality!
Came out to self: mid Oct 17                   Last haircut: 3rd Nov 17       
Came out to wife: 17th Jan 18                 Therapy started: 1st Mar 18
Electrolysis started: 10th Apr 18              Referred to GIC: 16th May 18
  •  

Chloe

Quote from: DawnOday on May 28, 2017, 02:03:41 PMWould a Christian date me.

Dawn standard joke living in the fundamentalist South like I do:

"I'm not 'Christian' I'm Catholic"!
    Quote from: Theism. . . is broadly defined as the belief in the existence of the Supreme Being or deities.[1][2] In common parlance, or when contrasted with deism, the term often describes the classical conception of God

Where's The Beef?

I submit for your approval "Hydrogen Is God" because it shares many of the same qualities attributable to "Him" !

• Most Elemental (from which all things come)
    • All Powerful (rocket fuel comes from it)
    • Most Abundant (occuring everywhere naturally except earth)
    [/list]
    "But it's no use now," thought poor Alice, "to pretend be two people!
    "Why, there's hardly enough of me left to make one respectable person!"
    •