Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Restroom Politics III

Started by Shana A, July 19, 2010, 09:03:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shana A

Sunday, July 18, 2010
Restroom Politics III
Renee

http://transsexualferox.blogspot.com/2010/07/restroom-politics-iii.html

Below is the (possibly?) final entry in my restroom saga. It's adapted from a narrative I provided to Equality Michigan and the Michigan ACLU, at their request. Some of it is stuff I've said before, but never all together like this.

Names have been changed to protect the innocent and no-so-innocent. The name of the company is real.

The Story:

I announced to Meijer my plans to transition in 2007. At the time, I was employed as a store detective at Meijer. My job was primarily focused on arresting shoplifters and conducting internal fraud investigations, and I worked with a team of people throughout the Ann Arbor area. When I announced my transition, several of my co-workers voiced concern, saying they felt like I was a threat to their safety during apprehensions. In the fall of 2007 I came under disciplinary review for something tangentially related to my transition (I had cribbed a photo of myself from surveillance video for use on a social networking site). The discipline that followed was a lateral transfer from the store detective role to the shrink analyst role, and moved from the Ann Arbor area to one of the Detroit-based markets.
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•