Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Pets and transitioning.

Started by Cody Jensen, December 20, 2010, 11:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cody Jensen

I plan to transition in maybe two years or so? I'm not sure at the moment. Anywho, I have so many dreams. One of them is to be an Exotic Veteranarian. I also want to get another dog and a horse eventually. I currently own a Pomeranian. I am worrying that transitioning will get in the way of some of my goals. I planned to get this second dog quite soon actually. Only until I started having these transgendered feelings and desires to be a boy did I start to worry about this. Is it possible to have pets and transition too (considering money wise, and traveling to the surgeon when it's time for top or even bottom surgery)? Will I be able to afford to keep the dog I currently own? I am not sure if I could stand to lose her right now. I feel like she is all I have to talk to! Could you guys maybe give me some advice on what to do in this situation. Not only about money but reaching my goals. I need help.
Derp

"I just don't know what went wrong!"
  •  

Victor

Logically it would be possible to keep your furred family member, I have two parrots myself and these feathered babies are very high maintenance, there's no way I'll give them up, they're my feathered kids! Anyways, considering your current pet is a smaller dog, it shouldn't be too much of a problem, there's some hotels and the like that are pet friendly, it's easier to find furred family friendly hotels if your pet is small. Would imagine that caring for them post-surgery will be harder, but so will everything you'll need to do post surgery, least while ya healing. It also couldn't hurt to ask friends ahead of time if they'd be willing to help you care for your Pomeranian post surgery or even see if someone's up for pet sitting for you if you're worried about bringing the little one along for the ride. Upkeep for a Pom isn't as expensive as some pets, be glad you don't have an exotic right now or else it'd be a major worry, but a Pom's needs don't cost a whole lot, if you're careful with budgeting then keeping your furred friend shouldn't be too much of an issue at all, it may mean saving a little extra if you want a comfort cushion to be sure the little one is taken care of, but it's certainly doable in most cases. If she's that important to you then you can find a way, it's all in figuring out the details and how things correspond in your unique situation and going from there.
Anything worth doing is going to be a challenge, after all, how can you feel proud of something that's just handed to you without some effort?
If I wanted the easy route I'd stick to being miserable, but that's just not my style.
  •  

xAndrewx

Just wanted to second what victor said. Really, there isn't any reason for transition to get in the way of anything. Having a friend come over a few times a day while your gone for surgery instead of having them bring the pet home with them is a possibility too. Like Rob told you in another post. People live with other medical conditions and manage to afford it all so no reason why you would be any different man.

Cody Jensen

thanks for reassuring me guys. i was worried i would have to give her and her near future companion up!! now i feel that i have one more thing off my mind, and boy is that a relief..
Derp

"I just don't know what went wrong!"
  •  

nickikim

I ve had my dog for a year now and he acts confused when wear heels or skirts. Is that weird? . He responds better to my femme voice. Should I take him to the thearapist too?  He`s a mix of shepard and retriver and wound tighter than a squirrel on meth but we love him.
  •  

Victor

Quote from: nickikim on January 03, 2011, 12:02:42 AM
I ve had my dog for a year now and he acts confused when wear heels or skirts. Is that weird? . He responds better to my femme voice. Should I take him to the thearapist too?  He`s a mix of shepard and retriver and wound tighter than a squirrel on meth but we love him.

Him reacting oddly to the heels and skirt could possibly be due to the sound of the heels (Goodness knows that sound is distinguishable from normal shoes, your dog's ears would pick up the difference majorly.) and a skirt does move a lot differently than pants, the swaying fabric could make him go "Oh, what's that? It moves funny!" thus the odd reaction. Animals are smart, they know when things are changing and they tend to react a good bit to any kinds of changes, that doesn't mean the changes are stressful or worrisome to them, just that it'll take some time for them to get use to said changes. So long as he doesn't equate skirt to flowy toy, you should be safe.
Anything worth doing is going to be a challenge, after all, how can you feel proud of something that's just handed to you without some effort?
If I wanted the easy route I'd stick to being miserable, but that's just not my style.
  •  

Renate

Don't underestimate the effect of smell.
Once you get started on hormones your smell changes radically.
If your dog reacts poorly to either gender it could make a big difference.
  •