Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Age of transition

Started by Transguykid, November 19, 2006, 06:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Transguykid

Hey everybody,

So I'm read in a few place that the older you are when you go on hormones, the less effective they are and the longer they take to work. Is this true? Because honestly, I don't think I'm ready for t(even though I want it badly!) and I feel like there's this hourglass hanging over me constantly. I mean, I know I'd be able to pass as a man no matter when I decide to start T, but I want it to be as good as it can be. Should I be worrying?
  •  

Steph

Quote from: Ethan Michael on November 19, 2006, 06:00:22 PM
Hey everybody,

So I'm read in a few place that the older you are when you go on hormones, the less effective they are and the longer they take to work. Is this true? Because honestly, I don't think I'm ready for t(even though I want it badly!) and I feel like there's this hourglass hanging over me constantly. I mean, I know I'd be able to pass as a man no matter when I decide to start T, but I want it to be as good as it can be. Should I be worrying?

Hello Ethan.

Generally speaking this is true, however having said that each of us reacts differently to HRT and therefore there is no way of predicting the outcome of the therapy.  Even Endo's and Dr would not be able to provide any guarantees of an outcome based on dosage, duration of therapy, and the age of the individual.  They can however, based on their experience provide a general prediction, but I suspect not many will even do this.

This is why it is important to work with your endo, Dr etc. by starting with a blood test to establish base line levels, prescribe the HRT and then monitor your progress with regular blood tests.

Steph
  •  

tinkerbell

As far as I know, everything tends to work better when you are younger.  For MTF's, the older you get, the more masculinized your body becomes, and the harder it is to reverse the effects of testosterone.  I don't know if the same applies to FTM's, but I'd think it is easier for you guys in terms of HRT considering that testosterone is a much potent hormone and causes more irreversible physiological changes than estrogen.  This is why FTM's tend to do better than MTF's in some cases.  Please take a second to read this article on this issue.

...and....also...

Quote from: Lynn Conway's articleAt what age do TS women transition? And what does it cost?

Traditionally, most TS women have transitioned on their own as adults (after age 18), because of lack of parental and societal support for earlier transition. The overall reassignment procedures of counseling, hormone therapy, electrolysis to remove facial hair, and sex reassignment surgery can be very expensive ($30K to $40K) and are rarely covered by medical insurance. SRS alone costs about $20K in the U.S. (including labiaplasty). Many must spend even more than that for additional major reconstructive surgeries, such as FFS.

Therefore, most TS women must wait until they are at least in their mid-to-late 20's or early 30's in order to can save up enough money or build enough financial credit to complete their transitions (including SRS). Nevertheless, the cost per patient is low compared to the benefits, especially when amortized over a lifetime: For an amortized cost on the order of $1000 to $3000 per year of adult life, the transsexual can leave all the gender angst and emotional pain behind and move on to a normal life in their correct gender.

Lynn has compiled a webpage listing photos and links to the stories of many successful post-op women, in order to provide clear evidence on the many successes out there. On that page you'll find many examples of women who successfully transitioned at a wide range of ages. By carefully studying their stories, you'll be better able to visualize what is involved in TS transition and how age is a factor in those transitions. Here are just a few examples from Lynn's "TS Women's Successes" webpage:

Examples of successful women who transitioned in their late 20's or early 30's:

Christine McGinn
Emily Hobbie
   Antonia San Juan (Spain)

Examples of successful women who transitioned during their 40's:

Frances Bennett
Trish McCurdy
  Prof. Jennifer Boylan

Many women now try to complete their transitions in their 20's and 30's if they possibly can, especially those who have very intense transsexual feelings and are totally positive that they must transition. Some women may need to take longer or transition later, especially if family situations or financial problems interfere with their plans.

However, the extreme difficulties, risks, and fears of transition often hold back many TS people for many years, even if they can afford transition. This is especially true for those who are highly masculinized as middle-aged adults, and who fear that they'll never "pass" as women. Sadly, some lose hope, and commit suicide along the way. A spiraling down into depression, substance abuse and then suicide is a likely trajectory for many unresolved cases of intense transsexualism, which is undoubtedly the hidden explanation behind many otherwise baffling suicides.

As the stigma surrounding transsexualism has lessened in recent years, more and more of the older, long-repressed transsexual people are deciding that they must transition before it is too late for them. Therefore, in recent years we've begun to see the emergence of a rather visible group of "late transitioners". Transitioning in their late 40's, 50's or even later, these women face much greater hurdles than younger transitioners. They also have less time to enjoy the rewards even if they are successful in transition.

Transitioning late in life can be very difficult, because many cannot "start all over again" in stealth at an advanced age. They may simply face too many family, financial and career entanglements to be able to start fresh new lives where they are only known as women. Many may also have difficulties "passing" as women, because of the long-term effects of male hormones on their bodies. They may remain easily identifiable as "transsexuals" unless they undergo many painful and expensive reconstructive surgeries and also work very hard at undoing decades of male habits. In the end it may be difficult for them to fully assimilate as a woman in society. Some insight into these difficulties, as seen from a family member's point of view, can be found in an essay by Stephen Gunther entitled "My transsexual father".

Many of the late transitioners emerge from long-term marriages. Not only do they mourn their early years spent in the wrong body, but they must also be aware that their marriage is likely to break up. If they have children, they are likely to face struggles around custody and visitation rights, and many are likely to lose all access to their children.

Finding a new partner, regardless of his/her sex, is also likely to be difficult for later transitioners. They must face their limits in passing and their lack of experience as a woman. There is some risk that they will not find a new partner and they must be very aware of it.

Those who are attracted to women may fear rejection by lesbian women in their age group, many of whom have been politicized against trans women in the past, and this may hold them back from seeking relationships.  Those who are heterosexual as women may never have experienced the joy of young love with a young man as a young T-girl, which can be a cause of deep regrets. Sadly, these women are often overly and unnecessarily afraid of exploring relationships or dating men, because of life-long fears of "homophobic" violence from men.

However, regardless of their sexual orientation, some of these women will overcome their fears and go on to find partners, often by seeking someone interested in a love-relationship involving deep emotional sharing and intimacy, instead of focusing simply on sexual relationships (as younger couples so often do).  Such partners exist and their own quest for a life-partner may be as long and as uncertain as the one of transsexual women. However, in order to be successful in finding love, the trans woman must have found enough peace, joy and self esteem in herself so as to be able to fully partner in a loving relationship.

Despite facing many of these handicaps, many transsexual people finally decide late in life that they must transition, and some are able to do so very successfully. Several of the women listed on Lynn's "TS Women's Successes" webpage transitioned during their 50's, and have done very well afterwards, including Deirdre McCloskey, Leandra Vicci, and Jamie Kaufman.

Examples of successful women who transitioned during their 50's:
Deirdre McCloskey, Ph.D.
Leandra Vicci
  Jamie Kaufman

Although many late transitioners are much better off after their transitions, there are many others who are not. Late transitioners often have problems with very unrealistic expectations, difficulties in objective self-assessment and effective self-improvement. They may also find it very difficult to disentangle themselves from marriages, families, careers and responsibilities. Thus they can end up with a feeling of "losing everything" during transition, while gaining little from their new lives as women. Others, especially long-term crossdressers (who often do not have the gender identities of women), may have transitioned for the wrong reasons, which can lead to even more serious difficulties in adjustment to life afterwards (see WARNING).
Because circumstances force many late transitioners to be "out", older and marginally-passable transitioners have become a common media image of modern transsexualism. The larger numbers of early and mid-life transitioners who have quietly and successfully transitioned and are living in stealth, and who are well assimilated as women, are simply "invisible" to the media, to the public and even to other transitioners.

Quite a few transgender support groups now consist mostly of intensive crossdressers, some of whom undertake TG transitions late in life even though unsure about their chances of success. The dreary images of some of these cases, who often linger in support groups long after their transitions, can be frightening to young transitioners who may worry whether they will "end up like that". 

Such worries are usually unfounded, because by seeking and finding help from appropriate support services at younger ages, most young TS girls can transition and go on to live full and happy lives and assimilate well into society. 

Note that it is important for young transitioners to find friends and support groups where their concerns are considered important and where early transitions are the norm.  After all, young transitioners are at a time in life where their concerns are deeply different from those of late transitioners. They are looking for their place in life, are learning what it means to be in love with someone, and are trying to become autonomous and more distant from their families, and so on.

It is also essential that they find a group where, regardless of their sexual orientation, the intensity of their desires, sensations, and attractions as young women are not only welcomed and respected, but fully validated. They must know that they have all the chances to have a fulfilling emotional, sensual and romantic life, as would any other woman. They need to be reassured that their body feelings and longings for love and passion are completely "natural and OK", and that after transition their lives can be really sweet - including having boyfriends and getting married just like any other girl, if they would like to do that.

For all these reasons and more, it is important that young persons (and their families) become aware that early transition can enable them to live almost their whole life in an appropriate body and role, and that they must try very hard to not lose this opportunity.

...just remember though that there are always exceptions for any rule. ;)..and I am sure that the experiences for FTM's vary.

tinkerbell :icon_chick:

•  

Nero

Quote from: Ethan Michael on November 19, 2006, 06:00:22 PM
Hey everybody,

I don't know, but I sort of hope it's true, because I really don't want to change all that much.
From what I've read, HRT works at it's best during puberty and after you've passed that age, a few years won't make much difference.
From everything I've heard, FtMs get about the same results from T, no matter their age.
The post-T guys can verify this or not.
I don't think a few years would make much difference in your results, Ethan. Transition when you're ready.
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Dennis

I don't think there's any evidence that it works less well when you're older. I was 42 when I started, a friend of mine was 50 and if anything, his masculinization has been faster than mine.

Everyone's body reacts differently and you should wait until you're ready. There's no timeline on it.

Dennis
  •  

Transguykid

Thanks everybody. You really helped to set me at ease. I really do need more time to figure myself out.
  •