Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

For those who think it's okay for TG to be a mental disorder

Started by Julie Marie, August 06, 2010, 04:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arch

I really don't want to get into this issue again, but here I am. And I'm echoing a few other people.

I have always felt that if a particular syndrome is a mental disorder, then it can be most effectively cured, controlled, or managed through psychotherapy, psychotropic treatments (specifically, psychiatric medications, not "recreational" drugs or self-medication like booze or acts like self-harm)--or a combination of the two.

This is not the case with us. I won't speak to the umbrella of TG, but (almost by definition) a transsexual is someone whose conviction cannot be "cured" through talk therapy; and, as a few people have pointed out, we don't really have any drugs specifically for TS. One might argue that TS can be managed with psychotherapy, but that tends not to be the case for long. In fact, I think it's safe to say that more often than not, therapy reveals or clarifies TS. It doesn't make TS go away.

We CAN run into problems when we consider the mind and the body as separate, but I think the border is actually fairly clear here. And it's true that we don't know all that much about TS and the brain. But as it stands, I don't see much support for the "mental disorder" diagnosis, and I see plenty of support for a physical diagnosis or some sort of combination diagnosis that does not code the mental part as disordered.

In and of itself, an atypical gender identification does not have to be coded as a disorder. A certain degree of dysphoria should not be classified as disordered, any more than a desire to lose weight, restyle one's hair, or get a nose job should be seen as disordered. Do we say that people are disordered when they say, "I'm not happy with my haircut" and then take a matter-of-fact approach to finding a better option? No, not unless that happiness starts to significantly interfere with the person's function. And if the person becomes acutely depressed over the haircut (or nose or extra pounds or whatever), do we really need a specific classification of "depression due to bad hair day/week/month" or "depression due to large body mass" or "depression due to bump on nose"?

I also feel that one element of the argument is completely irrelevant to the taxonomy question. I feel that when deciding whether transsexuality (or GID) is a disorder, we should go on the available medical evidence and make a medical (or psychological) classification instead of focusing on what the treatment arc will be if we take the syndrome out of the DSM/keep it in the DSM. That's a separate issue.

My two bits' worth (adjusted for inflation).
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •  

Izumi

Quote from: Julie Marie on August 13, 2010, 10:36:31 AM
You're referring to Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome (AIS).  It can only happen in XY persons.  There's varying degrees of it.  In cases of complete AIS (CAIS) the body cannot absorb any testosterone.  The body takes unabsorbed T and changes it to E.  CAIS people are sometimes referred to as super women, full lips, large breasts, wide hips and no body hair.  Jamie Lee Curtis is said to be CAIS.

Since GID is and always has been in the DSM, it seems like you are saying that "these people" chose not to use their insurance because they have a lot of money.  The truth is "these people" don't have insurance coverage for GRS or HRT, let alone BA or FFS.  I know the reason I don't have that coverage is the people deciding what will be covered and what won't "know" GID is a mental illness and not a physical one so why offer to pay for physical treatment when it's a problem of the mind?

I paid everything out of pocket.  I'm now legally female.  But my insurance still won't even pay for HRT or the twice yearly needed blood tests.  They cover GGs who's doctors prescribed HRT but won't pay for my doctor prescribed HRT.  Why?  Because I'm mentally ill and I did something to my body they don't believe was a medical necessity so therefore they don't have to cover my HRT.  And an awful lot of people I know are in the same boat.  So tell me again how having GID in the DSM helps pay for your medical treatment.

No, people who have money can use insurance or not, people that dont, dont have a choice is my point, and with society the way it is now, removing the diagnosis puts those people on their own, UNLESS the diagnosis is changed from a mental one to a medical one.  Oh, your child was born with TS, here is the treatment.... Psychotherapy + HRT, to prevent symptoms.  See what i mean. 

If your statement is remove the term GID from the DSM but add it at the same time as an insured medical problem, then I am all with you there, however GID is currently serving as both a benefit and hindrance as some insurance policies do cover it some do not, the only reason being, its in the DSM.  When the subject of rights is brought up, i think the only reason we havent been able to gain our rights is because we have become fused with LGB.  Grant us rights means granting them rights, when for us, we have issues with gender identity caused by our genetics not so much sexuality, if anyone brought the case of an XY female to the judge on the supreme court it would be easy to say women with TS are women(mtf) and men with TS are men(ftm) because there in front of the judge is a perfect example of a woman, yet shes XY.  Would he force her to live as a man?  CASE closed.  However since we are mixed with LGB, allowing us to marry is the same as allowing everyone... which i believe is the root of the difficulty, not as much the DSM.  If bipolar people can marry so can you... the dsm doesnt block that....
  •  

Steph

Quote from: juliekins on August 13, 2010, 09:54:41 AM
Okay, so it seems if you are unhappy with your body that's a condition of the mind, not the body. Therefore it's a mental disorder. Right?

The 98 pound weakling who starts working out with weights, takes (legal) supplements, changes his diet and grows to a 200 pound mountain of muscles and is now happy with his looks.

The flat chested woman who has BA and is now happy with her looks.

The "ugly duckling" who has facial plastic surgery, laminates on the teeth, hair transplants and now looks beautiful is now happy.

Are these people mentally disordered too?

In many cases yes.  Anarexia, bulimia, and there is now concern with in plastic surgery circles where patients become addicted to surgery.  We can do this all day... How about a person who's hair is curly and wants it to be straight.

What is the big deal about being disordered.  Yes some in society sigmatize it so it's society that has to change not us.  Why should we change just to satisfy some miss guided notion.  It's not only our condition but all the others that are listed.  If we are going to take out GID, why not take out the other disorders, as I can I'm imagine that those suffers often think that they are normal too.  Maybe it's just me but I simply can't understand how I could have looked at my body realized that it wasn't the way it was supposed to be and and sought to get it changed to the body I thought it should be, and start living a life I a woman, how could that be normal? Is everyone doing that? Can everyone just simply call up a surgeon and ask if the can get their genitals removed? 

As I said before this seems to be regional issue and an individual issue and ya can't please everyone.  Rather than jeopardizing our medical care, we or those that think they need to, should look at getting society educated.

Steph 
Enjoy life and be happy.  You won't be back.

WARNING: This body contains nudity, sexuality, and coarse language. Viewer discretion is advised. And I tend to rub folks the wrong way cause I say it as I see it...

http://www.facebook.com/switzerstephanie
  •  

insideontheoutside

Quote from: Steph on August 13, 2010, 12:28:22 PM
What is the big deal about being disordered. 
Steph

For me, personally, the big deal about being disordered is that it lead ME to believe in my mind there was something wrong with me. Especially when some of these whack diagnosis were coming down to me at a very impressionable time in my life (early teens). Being told there's something wrong with you does something to your mind. For some, it may be a sign of relief in some way that they know WHY they've always felt or acted some way. But for others it's more of a fate-sealer that there IS something wrong and that's a problem.

I'm going to throw out another comparison on how medical diagnosis can damage a person further. I have known way too many people, both old and young who have gotten a diagnosis of cancer. Only one of those people is still alive. When someone is told by a "medical professional" that they have a deadly disease it really messes with their head. Never mind that the so-called "treatment" could also kill you. All but one of the people I knew, when they got that diagnosis and heard some statistic about a survival rate, had pretty much felt like their life was over. They went through the motions of treatment but they sought no alternatives at all, they just believed their doctor 100% and in so doing, I truly believe lowered their chances of survival. My one friend that bucked the system, said f-you to the medical doctors and is still alive and cancer free. She went to a clinic that uses alternative medicine and is very supportive and positive about CURING the disease.

So, this is why I personally think what I do. Everyone else is entitled to their own opinions on it too (isn't that great!!). The only other thing I'll say is that there isn't just one path to a better life. If people truly believe that the only way they will "get better" is through HRT and surgery, well one person like me coming along with my opinion is not going to sway that. Although I actually AM an example that it's possible.
"Let's conspire to ignite all the souls that would die just to feel alive."
  •  

Steph

Very, very true Insideontheoutside.  Being told, or discovering that you have been diagnosed with this or diagnosed with that can have a huge impact on ones life, and I dare say that there have been some who have ended their lives rather than face the ordeal of dealing with or living with the diagnosis/treatment.  Then on the other hand there are those who take the bull by the horns, adjust and live their lives and get on with it.

The same would hold true for a person having the feeling that something was different about them, did research on the web and started to consider that they had GID, sought therapy and was in fact diagnosed with GID.  Some would treat that with joy and happily start transition while others wouldn't.

Medical practitioners can't hold back the truth, it would be unethical, and probably illegal.

Steph 
Enjoy life and be happy.  You won't be back.

WARNING: This body contains nudity, sexuality, and coarse language. Viewer discretion is advised. And I tend to rub folks the wrong way cause I say it as I see it...

http://www.facebook.com/switzerstephanie
  •  

brainiac

It IS very important to consider the effects of labeling/pathologization in psychiatry. For some people, like insideontheoutside, being diagnosed can feel like a burden, like there's something wrong with them that they're potentially stuck with their entire life. For other people, being diagnosed can be a relief: it helps them realize that they didn't choose to have the disorder, that they aren't just a loser or a failure or weak. I know that being diagnosed with Major Depression (and later, Generalized Anxiety Disorder) helped me get out of the hole I'd dug-- I knew there was something that needed fixing, and that things could change. Medication and therapy were just tools to help me. I also know that my sister, who has ADHD, felt the opposite way, like she was a freak and that needing medication made her weak.
  •  

Nero

I'm not sure where I am with this. On the one side, this is clearly (to us) a physical disorder. And while gays and lesbians were removed from the DSM, they don't really require any treatment like we do. As most (I think, don't kill me lol) of us don't have physical evidence of our condition, it does seem to be a mental thing. Until the brain discrepancy is proven, it's a 'head' thing. But as we require treatment unlike gays and lesbians, what happens to us if it is taken out?
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

spacial

An iuuse has occured, that I don't recall being raised so far, on this thread.

There is reference made to the irreversability of gender reassignment surgery.

I take this as a crock. No-doubt, there are some who may regret it, of those reported, it would seem that these have been mentally molested by psuedo religious types, instilled with guilt.

But for the vast majority, there are no regrets. If I could have surgery tomorrow, my only regret would be that I didn't do it when I was so much younger.

This whole attitude is patronising in the extreme. That we don't know our own minds. That we are just silly people, looking to experiment.

I wonder how, classifying gender dysphoria as a mental illness will affect our right to control and manage our own bodies?
  •  

Cindy Stephens

The really funny thing is that even if EVERY TG in the world decides that it isn't a "mental disorder", but rather a "physical problem" or fill in the blank, it wouldn't matter!  We don't get to make the determination.  I suspect that in the DSM they would just insert a couple of lines to the effect that,"HSB Syndrome is often accompanied by the delusion that it is not a mental disorder."   We simply don't get to make the determination.  It's not a vote kind of a thingy, just a question of semantics. 
  •  

AmySmiles

Quote from: interalia on August 12, 2010, 06:33:06 PM
No, no no and no! This is a terrible misconception perpetuated by TG's to justify the idea of a broken body rather than a broken brain.  The sperm carries and X or a Y and the egg carries an X.  Depending on what sperm gets to the egg determines one's sex.  The existence of a Y causes definitive changes in the embryo's development turning non-sexed organs into either Wolfian or Mamarian ducts.  Those form testes or ovaries respectively.  Testes then produce testosterone which forms the sexual dimorphic sections of the brain and the body in a testosterone specific way.  Same for the hormones produced by the ovaries - they start to affect sexually dimorphic features of the body and the brain.  Note I am keeping out intersexed out of the discussion as the existence of extra chromosomes can mix things up a bit.

If I am XY and have no weird chromosomes messing with my sexual development and my body develops in a male body and it functions correctly and consistently with my XY, I can be about damned sure that my body is male, was meant to be male and functions appropriately.  Now the brain, more complex... some stuff can happen to it both environmental and biological that can mess up its perception.

Essentially, having a fully healthy male body and no inconsistent chromosomes, I can be sure I was intended to be male, but my brain didn't get the message - not the other way around.  If we want to go into more detail, I'll reach into my textbooks and other research materials to give more specific genetic detail.  In the end, I can transition to fix my issues - which is fine, but I won't think for a moment my body is the problem - it is just the best available treatment.

My mind and my body developed (mostly) independently of one another and both are correct when considered independent of one another.  Arguing the semantics of which actually developed incorrectly serves no real purpose.  Your argument makes complete sense and I agree with it, but in the end there is still a discrepancy between the mind and the body that needs to be fixed.

Most people see the brain as the defining organ for their personality.  If the brain is broken and could be fixed, it's completely valid to question whether we would have the same personalities afterward.  If there existed a treatment that could correct my mind without changing the rest of my personality (with a > 99% chance of success), I would have taken it.  If there was a reasonable chance I would not be the same person afterward, I absolutely would not.  Transition is really expensive both interpersonally and financially and it would be fantastic to spare my family the pain, but I'm not willing to sacrifice who I am.  Pie in the sky aside, there currently is no such treatment and the choices are to find ways to cope or to transition as far as needed.  Even if the current option is technically the wrong option based on medical understanding, it is still the best option we have for fixing those of us who can no longer cope.

My opinion is that it doesn't matter if GID is in the DSM or not as long as we can get insurance companies to legitimize the current best treatment and pay for it.  Kind of hard to say at this point whether taking GID out of the book will actually do anything, but I'm leaning towards "no."
  •  

Sarah B

I'm a female and I have always been a female.  Nearly 22 years ago I started taking hormones and nearly 20 years ago I had surgery to fix a medical condition that I had.  Yes my body and please note that my mind have always been healthy and more than likely environmental or biological conditions affected by brain.  In other words I was born the way I was or as so many say, but some may still not get it.  I did not have a Choice in the matter.

Humans have been changing for thousands and thousands of years and will continue to do so and these changes will be through genetic mutation, environmental and societal conditions, modern technology and of course what us humans have been doing since recorded history began, "I want to change this or that about my self".

So I accept unconditionally that this is the way things are and given current technology, I will not be able to fix my genes, nor will I will be able to procreate, because I do not have the appropriate body for it.  What I want or do is not up to others in society to decide for me, unless of course the result of my actions hurts, maims or kills other members of society, then of course consequences will be applied to me as society rules and I will accept those rules.

However I will not accept other peoples conditions being placed upon me due to some preconceived notion that what I do or become is wrong and I should live my life just like theirs.  People should accept me for who I am and if the way I live my life goes against their sensibilities, religion, prejudices, ignorance or misconceptions then, it is their problem and not mine.

I find it extremely offensive, that I could be labeled with a mental disorder, because I live my life how I want to and not how someone else says I should. I have lived my life, just like any other person has to, day in day out. 

There are many clinicians, doctors, psychologist, psychiatrists, doctors and governments are saying it is not a mental disorder[1][2][3], in addition scientists and researchers are finding that it is biological in nature.[4][5][6] and no doubt there are more papers per se.

Yes, one still needs to have a diagnosis of 'GID', but as a medical condition and not as a mental disorder or mental illness, so that those who do suffer, can access the necessary treatment that is appropriate for them and allow them to be who they want to be in society.

Kind regards
Sarah B

[1] Because our identities are not disordered
[2] Government Policy concerning Transsexual People
[3] In France, Transsexuals Celebrate a Small Victory
[4] Sexual orientation and its basis in brain structure and function
[5] Sexual differentiation of the human brain in relation to gender identity and sexual orientation
[6] Male-to-Female Transsexuals Have Female Neuron Numbers in a Limbic Nucleu

Be who you want to be.
Sarah's Story
  •  

Julie Marie

I have one last question I'd like to ask.  First you have to put yourself in this environment:

Imagine you live in a world where those born with the mind and body being of different genders are revered, seen as a blessing to society.  You are believed to be gifted because you have a dual view into the genders and can relate to both in a way non TGs can.  People come to you for help.  They respect you and appreciate the insight you bring to their lives.  You are, in effect, placed in a higher position in society because you are TG.

Given that as your reality, how would you respond to someone who came to you and told you that you were mentally disordered?
When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •  

Just Kate

Quote from: Julie Marie on August 15, 2010, 08:22:46 AM
I have one last question I'd like to ask.  First you have to put yourself in this environment:

Imagine you live in a world where those born with the mind and body being of different genders are revered, seen as a blessing to society.  You are believed to be gifted because you have a dual view into the genders and can relate to both in a way non TGs can.  People come to you for help.  They respect you and appreciate the insight you bring to their lives.  You are, in effect, placed in a higher position in society because you are TG.

Given that as your reality, how would you respond to someone who came to you and told you that you were mentally disordered?

That depends.  Does this sagely TS person's condition cause him/her significant distress?  Is it pervasive or of a significant duration (say... longer than 2 years - used an arbitrary number for this point)?  Can it not be explained as normal variant of his/her culture?  If the answers are yes to those three questions, our wonderful sage has a mental disorder.  If you don't like the definition of mental disorder, perhaps we should arguing to change the definition/criteria of how we generally determine mental disorders. 

Mental disorder is a word meant as a descriptor, it is people who give the word value.  You don't like the value attached to the word 'mental disorder' by society (and by extension your own value you place on the word), but it doesn't change that it describes our condition.

If you don't like the connotation of the color descriptor 'blue', it doesn't change the color of the sky so long as the word blue still describes it.
Ill no longer be defined by my condition. From now on, I'm just, Kate.

http://autumnrain80.blogspot.com
  •  

Tammy Hope

I think perhaps the problem is in the implication of "dis-"

One who is "disabled" is unable to do...whatever.

"disorder" then might be read as "out of order" or "out of normal alignment"

it's just my own way of working it out, but to me, having a "disorder" simply means being "differently ordered" - aligned in some way that is at variance from the statistical norm.

it does not necessarily imply that the "different order" is better or worse than the statistical norm, just that it is an aberration, a deviation, an anomaly such as might appear in any demographic group of sufficient size.

I do not accept the premise that "disorder" means "worse than" or "flawed" in relationship to the norm.

I acknowledge that that is the most common colloquial understanding of the word, but I'm not bound by the common understanding.

Come up with some word which means "divergently ordered" or some such (like someone came up with the "cis-" prefix) and I'll buy in. Until then, letting someone's use of a word distress me is no different, IMO, than letting their displeasure with the way I dress distress me.

I do not concede them the right or the power to do so.
Disclaimer: due to serious injury, most of my posts are made via Dragon Dictation which sometimes butchers grammar and mis-hears my words. I'm also too lazy to closely proof-read which means some of my comments will seem strange.

http://eachvoicepub.com/PaintedPonies.php
  •  

Fencesitter

Quote from: Tammy Hope on August 15, 2010, 04:23:13 PM
"disorder" then might be read as "out of order" or "out of normal alignment"

it's just my own way of working it out, but to me, having a "disorder" simply means being "differently ordered" - aligned in some way that is at variance from the statistical norm.

Well if I look at the mess on my desk here it's definitely disordered, but I was always like that. And I always used the "differently ordered" excuse when my mom yelled at me to tidy my room. But as long as I find what I'm looking for and have no mice running around here, I don't care if in other peoples' opinion I have a messy desk . It needs to work for me, thats all... You get the analogy?

Honestly, I thought about the disorder discussion here today again. And I found out that I don't care a sh*t if what I have qualifies as a disorder or not. I had a very hard time growing up trans but good times as well, got unique experiences that I value a lot, and I was unhappy with how I felt about my gender stuff, then got part of what I needed to be okay, a few things still will have to change (name...), it's not illegal, they don't throw me into a madhouse for being trans, family and friends are on my side, I have work and nice leisure activities, and that's all what counts for me. Even if I were crazy as a hatmaker but felt okay with it, had an okay life and did not hurt anyone, it would be okay for me.

•  

Julie Marie

Quote from: interalia on August 15, 2010, 01:10:57 PM
That depends.  Does this sagely TS person's condition cause him/her significant distress?  Is it pervasive or of a significant duration (say... longer than 2 years - used an arbitrary number for this point)?  Can it not be explained as normal variant of his/her culture?  If the answers are yes to those three questions, our wonderful sage has a mental disorder.  If you don't like the definition of mental disorder, perhaps we should arguing to change the definition/criteria of how we generally determine mental disorders.

To your first question, if it did it would most likely be related to not being able to handle the expectations society might place on them, not a dysphoria due to mind and body gender conflict.

To your last sentence - I, for one, would like that very much.  But if they made one of the changes I'd like to see, either practically everyone would have a mental disorder or the people who wrote the book would be discredited in the public eye.

Quote from: Fencesitter on August 15, 2010, 05:06:15 PM
Well if I look at the mess on my desk here it's definitely disordered, but I was always like that. And I always used the "differently ordered" excuse when my mom yelled at me to tidy my room. But as long as I find what I'm looking for and have no mice running around here, I don't care if in other peoples' opinion I have a messy desk .

Honestly, I thought about the disorder discussion here today again. And I found out that I don't care a sh*t if what I have qualifies as a disorder or not. I had a very hard time growing up trans but good times as well, got unique experiences that I value a lot, and I was unhappy with how I felt about my gender stuff, then got part of what I needed to be okay, a few things still will have to change (name...), it's not illegal, they don't throw me into a madhouse for being trans, family and friends are on my side, I have work and nice leisure activities, and that's all what counts for me. Even if I were crazy as a hatmaker but felt okay with it, had an okay life and did not hurt anyone, it would be okay for me.

And if you were okay with the mice running around on your desk, that would be fine too.

Kudos to you for taking the position you are.  None of us should allow anyone to control the way we live, force us into being something we're not or accept prejudice and discrimination as a part of our life just because society is ignorant.  The consequences family, friends and society attach to being who we are is nothing short of attempted brainwashing. 

Be strong!  Stand up to the Conformist Cult!  Let them know this is your life and you're going to live it as you!  ;D
  •  

Miniar

I don't see a problem with being in the DSM, but it might be good to re-word the entry to stress that the identification is not the problem, the stress and suffering that the mismatch between mind and body causes is the problem and that the treatments are intended to reduce the stress and suffering, not the identification.

Would that be acceptable?

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •  

brainiac

Quote from: Miniar on August 17, 2010, 12:01:45 PM
I don't see a problem with being in the DSM, but it might be good to re-word the entry to stress that the identification is not the problem, the stress and suffering that the mismatch between mind and body causes is the problem and that the treatments are intended to reduce the stress and suffering, not the identification.

I'd certainly approve of that.
  •  

Julie Marie

Quote from: Miniar on August 17, 2010, 12:01:45 PM

The "mental disorder" is anxiety (listed) or depression (listed) or any other number of disorders, all already listed.  The original belief was one could be cured of GID and therefore all the associated disorders would vanish (same as it was for homosexuality).  So the focus was to cure the GID.  But that has been a dismal failure.  So, when we seek therapy it is usually for one or more of many already listed disorders.  And if we say the source matters, we'll have to start with an ignorant and unaccepting society that applies consequences, some severe, for being who we are.

Maybe we should get Prejudiced Ignorant Society Disorder (PISD) listed. 

Our dysphoria usually comes from the prejudice and discrimination we face.  Somewhere in the DSM I once read that if a disorder is considered normal (common reaction) then it isn't a disorder.  Anyone subjected to the prejudice and discrimination we face as out TGs would react in much the same way as we.  But, like I've said before, you don't need GID in the DSM to get therapy.  Check out the list of codes and you'll find all kinds of disorders, including the ones we suffer from due to the reaction of an ignorant society.  Which, BTW, suffers from an anxiety disorder called phobia, the result of their reaction to imagining a world where gays, lesbians and TGs have the same rights as them and are considered equals.  :o

Going back to my earlier question, phrased differently, would we experience any of these stressful emotions if we were completely accepted in society and not discriminated against?  If the society I live in had the same attitude toward TGs as the Native Americans did toward the Two Spirit, my life would have been dramatically less stressful.  It would have been a breeze!
  •  

Miniar

I Don't live in fear.
I don't feel "unaccepted" by society.

I have dysphoria.

My dysphoria is Primarily caused by the mind-body mismatch.
This is why I'm correcting that mismatch.

If I didn't feel Miserable about the body being wrong, I wouldn't have the drive to correct it with all the pain and misery involved with that slow process.

I'd NEVER let someone cut me open and remove internal tissue if my issue wasn't with that tissue.
I'd NEVER let someone slice into my chest if my issue wasn't with the chest.

I don't care what strangers think of me and those who know me, almost all, accept me as a bloke, and those that don't can shove off for all I care. I'm not changing my body to accommodate Anyone other than ME, and I'm doing it because I need to, for MY sake.

My dysphoria has Nothing to do with other people, and everything to do with me being a transsexual man.

I don't think "depression" and "anxiety", even combined, are synonymous with dysphoria.

"Everyone who has ever built anywhere a new heaven first found the power thereto in his own hell" - Nietzsche
  •