Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Transgender Exposure

Started by Tyler, August 02, 2010, 09:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyler

Today I just finished watching a recent episode of Drop Dead Diva.
This episode featured the law firm representing a transgender women. I have to say, it was beautifully done. I think media exposure is finally coming to a little more honesty about us.

Watch the full episode for a limited time here.
http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/drop-dead-diva/video
  •  

Colleen Ireland

I'm in Canada (Ontario), and here we have a show called "Degrassi", which is set in a fictional Toronto high school.  The show has won awards for honest portrayals of very difficult subjects, such as a school shooting, drug use, homosexuality, etc.  I read an article recently that they will have a trans character (F2M) soon, so my wife and I are watching it now (I don't think she knows about the trans plotline).  And from what the article said, it will be very well done, they apparently consulted with lots of different groups when planning the script.  I hope it's good.

•  

Tyler

I love Degrassi! I have watched almost every episode. I have not read this! Link! Link!
  •  

Kaori

Quote from: Tyler on August 02, 2010, 09:27:14 PM
Today I just finished watching a recent episode of Drop Dead Diva.
This episode featured the law firm representing a transgender women. I have to say, it was beautifully done. I think media exposure is finally coming to a little more honesty about us.

Watch the full episode for a limited time here.
http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/drop-dead-diva/video

I just finished watching it and think it was much more positive than quite a few shows I have seen portraying or telling a story about a transsexual person.  Perhaps it is a good step in the right direction.

It would be nice though, to see a story or movie with the transsexual not being the victim, not being treated unfairly or unjustly, or having to struggle for one right or another due to them being transsexual.  Perhaps I'm jaded by the movies/parts/characters I've seen beforehand, I don't mean to be dismissive of this show.  I just hope the media continues in this, hopefully more positive, creative and insightful direction.

Thanks for the link!  :)
  •  

lilacwoman

link unavailable in England.  shame as I like to see how we are portrayed.   Always a shame when a GG is used.
But then the alternative is Priscilla - Queen of the Desert.
  •  

Colleen Ireland

Quote from: Kaori on August 03, 2010, 02:58:15 AMIt would be nice though, to see a story or movie with the transsexual not being the victim, not being treated unfairly or unjustly, or having to struggle for one right or another due to them being transsexual.

I agree 100%, although it will ALSO be nice when we stop BEING the victims, not being treated unfairly or unjustly, or having to struggle for one right or another due to us being transsexual.  I think it's beginning, given the number of people I see here who are quite young and coming out and transitioning in their youth - I think that's just GOT to change things.  And here in Canada, they are debating legislation to make it illegal to fire someone based on gender expression (although I doubt the current bill stands much chance of passing, pity).  But we victimize ourSELVES (I was in denial for over 30 years).  Hopefully it'll be different for the next generation, or maybe the one after that... [/soapbox]

•  

sweetangel93

Great episode!

I love candyce canye, and am glad that she(An actual transgender woman) played this part!
  •  

tekla

Exposure is a double edged sword, the more people know, the less they care.  Come a time all TGs will be average.  That's going to ruin a lot of them.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

BunnyBee

Quote from: tekla on August 05, 2010, 03:09:01 AM
Exposure is a double edged sword, the more people know, the less they care.

Yes, totally.  Though, being the wallflower I am, I don't see the other side of the sword as being the least bit destructive.
  •  

Colleen Ireland

The F2M character showed up on Degrassi this week, Monday and Tuesday (the wife and I just watched them - had them DVR'ed).  This is why I've been watching the show, and why I got the wife to watch with me.  But didn't explicitly tell her that, and in these two episodes, it's just the setup - you don't yet know that the character is trans, but it's sort of obvious.  Anyway, as we're watching the end of the second episode, our 24-year-old son comes into the room and blows my cover - saying "You know the kid with the bass guitar is actually a girl, eh?"  I wasn't quick enough to, along with my wife, go "Oh, really?"  Forgot myself and went "Yup..."  Oops... (lol)

•  

Tyler

Quote from: Colleen Ireland on August 06, 2010, 09:05:55 PM
The F2M character showed up on Degrassi this week, Monday and Tuesday (the wife and I just watched them - had them DVR'ed).  This is why I've been watching the show, and why I got the wife to watch with me.  But didn't explicitly tell her that, and in these two episodes, it's just the setup - you don't yet know that the character is trans, but it's sort of obvious.  Anyway, as we're watching the end of the second episode, our 24-year-old son comes into the room and blows my cover - saying "You know the kid with the bass guitar is actually a girl, eh?"  I wasn't quick enough to, along with my wife, go "Oh, really?"  Forgot myself and went "Yup..."  Oops... (lol)

I am pretty sure the rest of Season 9 hasn't finished premiering here in America. Can't wait for the rest of that, then Season 10.
  •  

Colleen Ireland

Okay, well, I won't post any spoilers, then.  From what I've seen so far (and what I read), the trans character is going to be done with good sensitivity and realism, which are the things this show is known for.  Looking forward to the rest of the story line...

•  

Iceprincess

I'm watching it :P

I like Drop Dead Diva but, I have't watched it in centuries!
  •  

Cruelladeville

Ironically it was an ex army B/f whom put me onto the L Word....

Though the later series got a tad naff....

However a lot of the early key characters were tres kool.....

Defo Shane and Jenny....lol

•