Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

beginning to exercise after SRS question

Started by Nigella, August 17, 2010, 08:56:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nigella

Hi all,

I am suffering from lack of exercise after my SRS about five weeks ago. I used to run 6 miles every other day. Now I'm not expecting to be able to do that, I'm still pretty sore and swollen but I'd like to know if I can do some sort of exercise. I am suffering from circulation problems that is causing me to have restless legs at night. So any thoughts would be appreciated.
I have also put on 5kg and I want to get that down. I eat healthily with fruit and salads every day but I put on weight easily even before SRS so that's the reason I ran.

Stardust 
  •  

Sandy

After six weeks you should be able to start LIGHT exercise.  Don't try to do too much.  Your body will let you know when you've gone too far.  But usually not until the next day.

You can probably start with walking.  Take a one or two blocks and then rest and see how you feel.  Even after six weeks, your body has little reserve.  SRS is major surgery and your body has been traumatized as a result.

Moderate exercise may help the swelling as well.  It sounds like you were in excellent shape prior to surgery so your recovery should be much quicker.  But just take it slow.

-Sandy
Out of the darkness, into the light.
Following my bliss.
I am complete...
  •  

Kristyn

I was wondering the same thing, glad someone asked this.  :)  Actually, there is a girl on Youtube named Penny Z and her channel is Debutante Brawl.  She has been documenting her srs with McGinn since Day 1 and it is pretty interesting.  She began running 3k around the 60 day mark.  I'm hoping I can get back into the swing of things quickly myself.
  •  

blondwidowspider

I had the same situation as you, as I was an avid workout freak prior to going into surgery. It took me about 2 full months before I was able to get back into the swing of things, and it took a month before I really noticed any swelling was starting to go down. Just hang in there, don't be afraid to ask your doctor questions, and things will be back to normal before you know it. Sorry for the "attagirl" advice, but it's really the only kind I can give.

Hoping a speedy recovery!
  •  

juliekins

I think that Sandy has good advice. Take it one day at a time. Start with walking a block or two, rest a day, then repeat and maybe add a block. Rest and repeat a day or so later.

I was also very active prior to SRS, but not at your level. I was going nuts with the dramatic change in activity, though. I started logging my day's activities on the calender. I noticed that some days were high energy days, and were usually followed by exhaustion. As the weeks went by, I noticed that I stopped filling out the calender, and had naturally resumed a normal life.

I would also trying bike riding when you think your bottom can handle it. It is less taxing than running, I found.

Now might be a good time to get some housework or shopping done. You'll get some exercise, have a clean house and maybe a nice pair of new shoes! :D
"I don't need your acceptance, just your love"
  •  

Nigella

Thank you so much, all your advice has been invaluable. I guess I'm just a little impatient as I'm used to running around like a headless chicken with my job apart from the running . So thanks again. I have had a little bleed, just spotting around the clitoral/urethra area I think because I had done some walking so I guess I will leave that alone until the six weeks have gone by.

Thanks again,

Stardust
  •  

Cruelladeville

I'm guessing you're not in yer twenties?

If so... one of the main protagonist to weight gain (as we all age) is the slow down of your metabolism...

My parent's in law commented on my weight loss this weekend, in fact.....I've shed a stone in the last 18months....

But have been taking ginseng and a supplement called KLB6.... eating more veg, spinach, brocali et al and less on the carbs...

I've also started eating 5 small meals a day....

And now do not eat a main large evening meal, sit on a couch and go to bed...(fatal) for the over 50's.....lol

5 weeks is no time at all too....this is a major op....I think it was at least 3-4 months before I got back to any sense of normal..... but a permanently different sense to previously....

You couldn't possibly remain the same...even your gait is likely to change slightly as a result...

Good luck with it all...
  •  

Sarah_aus

Hi Stardust

I hear pilates is a good for staying trim and losing weight, plus you can go at your own pace.
there is heaps of info available on the net if you aren't sure where to start.
I myself plan to start to lose some weight and tone up.
Good luck

~Tali
"There is a place you can touch a woman that will drive her crazy. Her heart." - Melanie Griffith
"It's true that we don't know what we've got until we lose it, but it's also true that we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives." - Unknown
  •  

lpfix2009

I run approx 8KM everyday :P Its not that hard to get back in a groove after not doing it for awhile
  •  

Nigella

Quote from: SaraR on August 18, 2010, 06:47:46 AM
I run approx 8KM everyday :P Its not that hard to get back in a groove after not doing it for awhile

Thanks SaraR and others but it was a question of when rather than what because I enjoy my running and that kept my weight down and yes I am over 50, lol. So yes I do easily put it on even if I'm eating virtually nothing. I'm down to 1000 calories a day and than seems to have stemmed the weight gain but I want to get the 5kg off. Even at only a 1000 kl I'm not loosing anything.

So it was just a question of getting back into some sort of exercise regime and building back to running 6 miles every other day. I suppose if I'm not back to work for three months I could increase the exercise to every day. I had to keep to every other day because of work load.

Thanks for your thoughts once again,

Stardust
  •  

FairyGirl

Yesterday I walked around the mall for 2 hours straight (light walking) and was pretty much exhausted. This is at 8 weeks, one day post-op (57 days). I've been walking about 40 minutes/day in a local park but yesterday was the most I've done in one stretch since surgery. Though very tired afterward, I didn't do any physical damage or have any swelling. However I think I'll go back to 40-60 minutes and work my way up slowly from there lol
Girls rule, boys drool.
If I keep a green bough in my heart, then the singing bird will come.
  •  

Nigella

Thanks again, its really good to hear what other people are doing and your experiences. I' sure its not going to be easy, it took me two years to loose 7kg and I've nearly put that back on in five weeks, depressing. I'm going to have to be even sterner over the carbs me thinks.

Stardust
  •