Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Transgender Youth Summit coming to Cambridge

Started by Shana A, June 03, 2008, 11:02:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shana A

Transgender Youth Summit coming to Cambridge
by Laura Kiritsy
Editor-in-chief
Tuesday Jun 3, 2008

http://www.baywindows.com/index.php?ch=news&sc=glbt&sc2=news&sc3=&id=75397

The Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition (MTPC) and the Boston Alliance of LGBT Youth (BAGLY) have teamed up to present the Transgender Youth Summit, a daylong confab that aims to empower trans youth, create a youth leadership network, and promote political and civic activism. The free event is open to people under age 24 who identify as trans or could fall under the transgender umbrella. It takes place from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Democracy Center in Cambridge on June 28.

MTPC Executive Director Gunner Scott said the summit was prompted as the organization sought ways to encourage civic engagement and decided to focus some of their efforts on young people. To that end, the organization has recently begun doing voter registration at various LGBT events; Youth Pride brought their highest number of registrants at a single event thus far, said Scott. He also noted that MTPC's youth committee wanted to do an event aimed at trans youth because "a lot of the trans stuff tends to be adult-focused. And so the youth committee also saw it a way to bring more youth into working on trans issues."

and

http://www.edgeboston.com/index.php?ch=news&sc=glbt&sc2=news&sc3=&id=75513
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•  

Allamakee

This is a review article about the summit:

A Safe Space:The third annual Transgender Youth Summit
by Jesse Begenyi
Options Newsmagazine (LGBT, Rhode Island)
July 11, 2010
http://www.optionsri.org/Features/TransYouthSummit/tabid/276/Default.aspx

QuoteSome 65 youth participants had the opportunity to participate in gender-identity groups facilitated by adult role models from within the community. There was also a college organizing workshop, a high school organizing workshop, a theater workshop, a writing workshop, and a workshop on how to advocate for yourself, others, and your community.  Near the end of the day we had a health care workshop where the youth had the opportunity to ask questions of a health care provider. Folks who attended were treated to a performance by the fantastic Johnny Blazes, who also led an interactive clowning workshop focusing on drag and "playing with gender." We rounded out the day with an open mic, an opportunity for folks who wanted to share writing or a theater piece they had worked on during the day with the group at large.

The summit also featured a parent track, as well as one for nursing students who were seeking more information about how to better serve the transgender community.
  •  

brainiac

Thanks for posting this! I think I'll check it out.
  •  

Allamakee

I apologize for any confusion I may have caused with my last post.  The Trans Youth Summit has already taken place, but because it is important, I wanted to share that review article about it.   The conference sounds like an amazing opportunity and experience!
  •  

brainiac

Oh man, I completely read July as August somehow. Must have been wishful thinking. :P

Thanks anyway! I'll put it on my calendar for next year.
  •