Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Skewering theories of ‘hard-wired’ gender differences

Started by Shana A, September 12, 2010, 08:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shana A

Skewering theories of 'hard-wired' gender differences
By Kate Tuttle
Globe Correspondent / September 5, 2010

http://www.boston.com/ae/books/articles/2010/09/05/skewering_theories_of_hard_wired_gender_differences/

"When I tell parents that I'm writing a book about gender," Cordelia Fine writes, "the most common response I get is an anecdote about how they tried gender-neutral parenting and it simply didn't work." Indeed, just as one sociologist whose research Fine describes discovers, many parents today feel certain that despite their best efforts to introduce trucks to their daughters and dolls to their sons, they come up against gender differences they see as "hard-wired," innate, immutable. But are they, really?

As Fine argues in this forceful, funny new book, the notion that gender accounts for differences in minds and behavior through some biological, brain-based process is an idea as popular as it is unproven. Promoted by popular science and pop psychology authors, nudged along by credulous newspaper and magazine editors looking for hot headlines, a cottage industry has emerged to convince us that men and women are, metaphorically at least, from other planets.
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•