Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Bourne Films - A Turn for the Worse?

Started by stldrmgrl, December 13, 2011, 03:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stldrmgrl

Anyone who is like myself adores the Bourne films (Identity, Supremacy, Ultimatum) and knows that any addition to this collection will need to present a more challenging story line to keep it interesting.  While I love the three current movies, they perfectly told the story and Bourne Ultimatum seemed like a great way to end the awesome trilogy.  Apparently Hollywood does not agree.

Set for an August 2012 release date, The Bourne Legacy is currently being filmed.  While the idea of a new Bourne film sounds enticing, the cast and story line do not.  It was hoped that Paul Greengrass would return to direct this film and Matt Damon would return as Jason Bourne/David Webb, however, Greengrass declined.  As a result of this, Matt Damon announced he would not be interested in returning for this film unless Greengrass reconsidered returning to direct it.  So, what to do, what to do.

Jeremy Renner will lead the film in playing a new, main character; Jason Bourne will not exist in this film.  From what I've gathered, the story line would relatively follow the same as the previous three movies, though I sincerely hope I misinterpreted what I read.  As well, there are six other "Bourne" novels in which could be the basis for future films (though no mention of this has been made; it is merely my speculation).

All in all, I must say this sounds like failure for the Bourne series.  I would love to be proven wrong, however, even if it shows to be a great film, the mere fact it lacks Matt Damon as Jason Bourne/David Webb, will always leave a bit of a disgust in my mind for the film.

Any opinions?
  •  

Emily Ray

I love the Bourne Trillogy as much as you do. I hope that it continues the tradition of a fine, even great action movie. Other movies have succeeded in remaining true to the original film with a new director and main character, the Bond series being the most notable.

Huggs

Emily
  •  

stldrmgrl

True, the Bond movies have been quite successful with different actors playing the part of James Bond.  However, in this Bourne movie, Jason Bourne/David Webb is no longer the main character (or any character for that matter).  This will not only be a new actor to play the main character, but it will be a new main character altogether.  Though in actuality, I suppose that's better than attempting to throw in a new actor to play Bourne; that would definitely ruin the film.  I think my main issue is the fact they are using the "Bourne" name in the title of the film.  I'm sure it'll be a great movie, but I'd prefer it titled differently, unrelated to "Bourne" (unless Damon changes his mind, which I hope he does).
  •  

Cindi Jones

I read the books years ago. I also enjoyed the films. I'll likely see the new one if I get a chance. I'd never turn down a James Bond or Start Trek. Why should this be different?

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

tekla

It might be good, if they are sticking with Ludlam based plots.  Damon was good, but three of them is enough, I don't think there is much more he could do with that character.  But don't forget that he's not he only Borne, Richard Chamberlin did it first, and is a very interesting choice too.   
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

stldrmgrl

Quote from: tekla on December 14, 2011, 12:02:12 AM
It might be good, if they are sticking with Ludlam based plots.  Damon was good, but three of them is enough, I don't think there is much more he could do with that character.  But don't forget that he's not he only Borne, Richard Chamberlin did it first, and is a very interesting choice too.

Yeah, it will follow the plot of Ludlum's novel.  As for Richard Chamberlain, I was unaware of this prior film...that is interesting.
  •  

tekla

1988, with one of Charlie's original angels and top K-Mart fashion designer Jaclyn Smith.  It was a two-part made-for-TV deal, so there is a huge cliffhanger in the middle.  They both got nominated for Golden Globe and Emmy Awards for it.  Because its' a mini-series it could run three hours long, and because of that I think it's got a lot more depth, particularly for the plot twists and the character of Marie.  It's out on DVD.
FIGHT APATHY!, or don't...
  •  

stldrmgrl

•  

fionabell

•  

Berserk

Quote from: Aymzie on December 13, 2011, 03:29:49 PM
As well, there are six other "Bourne" novels in which could be the basis for future films (though no mention of this has been made; it is merely my speculation).

I just don't get where they'd go with it, though. If they're going to follow any of those novels they can't exactly remove Jason Bourne from them...

Anyways, it's disappointing they've decided to create another Bourne film. They should have just left it at Ultimatum. No need to ruin a perfectly good film trilogy. Even if they're following the novels, sequels really weren't necessary there either, and making movies of the sequels...without Greengrass and without Matt Damon. I'm not sure there's any hope.
  •  

CryssL

Well, considering the time I've had to read more about it and watch the trailers to this new 'Bourne' movie, my opinion has changed somewhat.  I still find it to be a bit...careless, however, the trailers do make it look really interesting.  Likely, I'll see it, and I do hope to be impressed despite my doubts.

(digging up an old topic, I know, but I don't really find it necessary to start another)
  •  

CorrieK

I think it will be good still just...different. Like when Bond movies change Bonds.
  •  

shamu

Tough to get any more repetitive than it already is
  •