Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Angels & Demons

Started by Julie Marie, May 18, 2009, 02:34:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Julie Marie

We went to see Angels & Demons the other night.  I read a review that blasted the movie.  Since I had read the book and liked it and since the movie The DaVinci Code stayed true to the book, I ignored the review and we plunked down $20 to see the movie.

It started well into the book and took a lot of short cuts to create more of an action movie than a suspenseful drama.  They failed to develop many of the characters as well as the "evil" Illuminati.  They just handed it to you and said they were bad or good.  Basically, they tore out at least a quarter of the pages from the book and made the movie.  It would be like taking The French Connection and removing everything but the chase scene.

The book was MUCH better.  The DaVinci Code stayed pretty true to the book.  I don't know why they couldn't have done the same with Angels & Demons.

I'd go see State of Play instead.  It was far better.

Julie
When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •  

NicholeW.

We saw it Friday. I'd read the book as well. "Conspiracy Theory" books are always fun reads for me, they tend to be comic or at least inspire my awe at how people go about thinking and putting together arguments. Those sorts of books all rwad like fiction anyhow. :)

Yes, the movie was an action movie, but I thought the book was pretty well an action book as well. Better than "Da Vinci Code," but Dan Brown isn't high on my list of good novelists anyhow. Kinda like Robert Ludlum or Ton Clancy or any writer who gets stuck on a plot and cannot seem to let it go.

I thought the movie was good, given it's genre. (We only chose it because we didn't want to wait an hour to see "The Soloist."

I thought the actors did a good job. Hanks won't win an Oscar for it, but the scrpit and plot won't either. Ayelet Zurer did an excellent job, as did Hicks, without over-playing and Ewan MacGregor wasn't given much choice given his character of The Chamberlain to the Pope except to overact by the end of the movie. Stellan Skarsgard, Armin Mueller-Stahl and Nikolaj Lee Kaas (especially Kaas) did excellent jobs in supporting roles.

Of five stars I'd give the movie a 3 based very much on the fact that I tend not to like the genre. But, for what it was, it wasn't bad at all. In fact had lots to recommend it.

N~

If ya like thrillers with a twist go see it. I don't think it will disappoint. 

•  

Ellieka

I read both books and enjoyed them both immensely. I actually read them both back to back the followed that up by watching National Treasure. Talk about A spinning head... I love conspiracy stories.   
  •  

Michelle.

Thanks for the reviews. I think I'll reread the book and wait for the netflix release.

I too am disappointed when a good suspense driven drama is turned into the next Die Hard.
  •  

Ellieka

Yes! do read the books. You will not be disappointed. They were real page turners for me.
  •  

gennee

Quote from: Julie Marie on May 18, 2009, 02:34:28 PM
We went to see Angels & Demons the other night.  I read a review that blasted the movie.  Since I had read the book and liked it and since the movie The DaVinci Code stayed true to the book, I ignored the review and we plunked down $20 to see the movie.

It started well into the book and took a lot of short cuts to create more of an action movie than a suspenseful drama.  They failed to develop many of the characters as well as the "evil" Illuminati.  They just handed it to you and said they were bad or good.  Basically, they tore out at least a quarter of the pages from the book and made the movie.  It would be like taking The French Connection and removing everything but the chase scene.

The book was MUCH better.  The DaVinci Code stayed pretty true to the book.  I don't know why they couldn't have done the same with Angels & Demons.

I'd go see State of Play instead.  It was far better.

Julie

Not too films stay true to the book. Maybe that's why the film is lousy.

Gennee
Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •  

Jaimey

Perhaps I'll wait for it to come out on dvd.  Or if it shows with something good at the drive-in.  And I was so looking forward to Ewan McGregor as the Camerlengo...
If curiosity really killed the cat, I'd already be dead. :laugh:

"How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and the strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these." GWC
  •  

Suzy

I thought the movie was good, and no one else in my group had read the book.  That being said, the book was a zillion times better because there was just no way to develop this story in two hours on screen. 

Kristi
  •  

Julie Marie

The DaVinci Code did a pretty good job staying close to the book and had enough details from the book so that you understood the movie pretty much as well as the book.  But Angels & Demons started so far into the book they missed linking all the characters together, made Victoria Vetra almost a non factor, barely even mentioned the priest who was murdered and why and then at the end changed so much it wasn't anything like the book. 

I guess I was expecting them to portray the book as well as they did with DaVinci Code.  I'll have to take this up with Ron (Howard) the next time he's over for dinner.

Julie
When you judge others, you do not define them, you define yourself.
  •  

Katy

•  

shamu

Agreed, the first movie definitely built things up for a sequel to sap everybody's money away.
  •  

Snowpaw

I actually just started reading it. Never saw it or the movies on either and found it sitting in a old box. Pretty good so far but far from a undroppable book for me :P
  •