Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Meet Oklahoma's First Transgender Political Candidate

Started by tori319, September 24, 2010, 12:02:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tori319

It's stories like this that make me think that maybe even if we aren't fully excepted we will be normalized and that more people might become aware of us.

http://jezebel.com/5645277/meet-oklahomas-first-transgender-political-candidate
  •  

Maddi

As a Oklahoman this surprises me. It makes me happy to see this but still surprising. I hope they do well.

Man I  need to pay attention to the news more. Work has me drained. Lol.
  •  

Hikari

I hope she does well not just because of her being TG or her election raising awareness, even though I welcome both those as side effects, but mainly because her opponent is rather scary, and according to that article has stated that homosexuality is worse than terrorism. That is the sort of crazy person we need to keep out of politics. So I really do hope OK votes for their first TG candidate, I wouldn't have expected it from that state, but more power to them.
私は女の子 です!My Blog - Hikari's Transition Log http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/board,377.0.html
  •  

Korlee

While it would be rather nice for her to win as a step forward for the state. I highly doubt it will happen just because of the people out here.  They are much alike in many areas and in many ways.  Even the ones that shake your hand up front are often not comfortable behind closed doors with any out of the box sorta stuff.

I lived her at the start of my life along with all over the state and I am here yet again -ugh-. No offense to those living here but I got my fill of the bible belt and its mentality ages ago.  They run off people, jobs, you name it all for the sake of keeping their ideals or whatever pure.  I've seen lots of gays and one transexual MtF get run off in this state.  Don't hold your breath.
  •  

Suzy

I once lived there and I can tell you that in Oklahoma, politics is the primary entertainment.  It is more popular than sex.  I would love for her to win, but honestly, that would be such a paradigm shift for the state, I would not bet on it.
  •  

alexia elliot

Times, they are changin'!        Who knows in next 200 years we are going to be totally assimilated into society................... Hm, I got to start believing in reincarnation!
  •  

Alainaluvsu

Alexia: 200 years? I'm shooting for 20 :)

Okay those hopes are a bit lofty, but alot has changed as far as acceptance in 10 years for the LGBT community. We are the new gay, so hopefully in my lifetime 80% of the people will be like "so?" when you mention you were born trans.
To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are.

•  

alexia elliot

I do like your enthusiasm, and don't even want to think 20 years in the future cause it be like "grandma, where are those cookies you suppose to bake". I wanna be babe not some old, fashionable granny! Oh well, as I say times are changin, maybe by then I'll be able to afford brain transplant and  get this sexy supermodel body, but then in 20 years modes might be 200 lbs like in European Renaissance :-)
  •  

Maddi

Quote from: Hikari on September 24, 2010, 03:37:44 PM
I hope she does well not just because of her being TG or her election raising awareness, even though I welcome both those as side effects, but mainly because her opponent is rather scary, and according to that article has stated that homosexuality is worse than terrorism. That is the sort of crazy person we need to keep out of politics. So I really do hope OK votes for their first TG candidate, I wouldn't have expected it from that state, but more power to them.

Ya, there are a lot of people here dead set against anything that hasn't been the norm since statehood. When my classmate was elected mayor the pissed off a lot of older politicians. Heck, I get to hear about those " fag he-she's" at work....makes me kinda sink in my chair on break. I hope she wins and people will see we are good people too.
  •  

tori319

I think things are getting better everyday especially with the internet and show like Degrassi getting the message across.I'm not saying things are going to change tomorrow but I don't thing its that far off.If you can't tell I'm a bit of an optimist.
  •