Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Veterans Administration

Started by Kay Henderson, September 11, 2010, 10:30:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kay Henderson

I want to put in a good word for the VA regarding gender identity issues.

In addition to being at the forefront of medical records computerization, the organization has - at many of its facilities but not all - established a very enlightened policy for treating patients who present as transsexual.

I recently sought help for depression, and in the process I had conversations with a mental health counselor.  When she learned that I was self-medicating, she immediately contacted the staff endocrinologist and set up an appointment for me.

He did an initial examination and told me he would find a doctor either inside or outside of the VA system who was experienced in treating individuals in my situation and could prescribe the right medication.

Fortunately, the endocrinologist to whom I was referred is at a VA Medical Clinic near the town to which I just moved.  After a brief questioning period, he wrote the prescriptions I needed (the same regimen I was using myself) and got me onto the patient list of one of the doctors who has experience working with transsexuals.

The prevailing attitude, at least in this area, is "Thank you for your service.  What can we do to help you?"
  •  

becky007

Hi
Really - I'm a vet - have been afraid to say any thing to them. Figure they would be about as understanding as the Army would be with this. I self medicate but am afraid of thrombosis - was considering going in to ER. Am listed as disabled already - and in system - but no one aware of this.
Am in Seattle
  •  

K8

Becky,

Please do not self-medicate.  It can cause terrible complications (including death).  The VA is very open to TG issues.  Some VA centers even have support groups for TG vets.

I am retired US military.  I have never had a problem.  I went to an Air Force base when I needed a new ID card because I changed my name and began full-time.  No problem.  My military insurance has paid for all of my counseling and all of my prescriptions other than a small co-pay.  No problem.

The only people I had trouble with were the DEERS office when I changed legally to female.  They put me through some extra hoops, but I think that was one individual who has now accepted the inevitable - that I am legally female and he can't do anything about it.

DO NOT SELF-MEDICATE, especially if you already have health issues.  I believe it is VA-wide policy to accept and help TG veterans.  I don't know anything about the Seattle VA, but give them a call.  You may be pleasantly surprised.

- Kate
Life is a pilgrimage.
  •