Main Menu

Nina Arsenault: Art of a Devil's Advocate

Started by Shana A, November 14, 2012, 10:49:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shana A

Nina Arsenault: Art of a Devil's Advocate

November 13, 2012
By Natalia Fallas

http://www.cornellsun.com/section/arts/content/2012/11/13/nina-arsenault-art-devils-advocate

Nina Arsenault is a multimedia artist pushing boundaries through candid and graphic expression of her gender change. As well as winning awards across Canada for her work and human rights advocacy, she is the subject of the book TRANS(per)FORMING Nina Arsenault: An Unreasonable Body of Work, edited by Judith Rudakoff. This Wednesday, she will perform her piece The Whore of Babalon at the Schwartz Center. The Sun spoke with Arsenault through email on Sunday about her foray into the sex trade, cosmetic surgery and art.

The Sun: Let's start with the obvious. At what point did you realize that you were meant to be a woman? What was the mental process behind making that decision and how does that continue for you today?

Nina Arsenault: I have always known I am a woman. The continuing process is about how to successfully navigate a world that keeps trying to convince me I am fake, a victim, shameful, mentally unstable or just somehow >-bleeped-<ed up — as if everyone else isn't?
"Be yourself; everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

•