Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

How long does one need to take Hormones?

Started by MicheleGui, August 26, 2015, 12:05:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MicheleGui

So, I haven't started hormones yet, but I've read somewhere that there are permanent and reversible changes that come with HRT.

I would like to know what are these temporary changes. They go back naturally if one stops taking hormones? Is it necessary to take hormones for the rest of the life to prevent them of going back?
  •  

RoseH

Yes, you'll need to take hormones your entire life. Anti androgens aren't necessary if you get GRS.
For a MtF, the irreversible changes of HRT is basically the breast growth. Anti androgens can cause infertility after long use on high dosages I have heard (please correct me if I'm wrong).
All the other hormone-induced changes will reverse.
:)

•  

MicheleGui

Quote from: RoseH on August 26, 2015, 12:16:02 PM
Yes, you'll need to take hormones your entire life. Anti androgens aren't necessary if you get GRS.
For a MtF, the irreversible changes of HRT is basically the breast growth. Anti androgens can cause infertility after long use on high dosages I have heard (please correct me if I'm wrong).
All the other hormone-induced changes will reverse.
:)
Thanks for the explanation :D
Taking hormones for the rest of my life sounds like a bothersome thing, but I bet it turns into routine after a while.
(Also, its nice to know that the breasts stay)
  •  

Jayne

Not all changes will reverse,  I was advised that changes are reversible if HRT is stopped within 6 months. Once you've developed breasts stopping HRT will not make them shrink & disappear.
I don't know for sure what other effects are temporary or permenant so I'll leave it there and hope someone more knowledgeable chips in
  •  

RoseH

Quote from: MicheleGui on August 26, 2015, 12:45:21 PM
Thanks for the explanation :D
Taking hormones for the rest of my life sounds like a bothersome thing, but I bet it turns into routine after a while.
(Also, its nice to know that the breasts stay)
11 months in and I'm completely used to it, even though I'm forgetful. It's just like taking any other medication. Or like being a menopausal woman on a high dose, as my doctor puts it  ;D

•  

Rachel

For MTF spiro is need as long as you have gonads. E is needed for life.

I do IM E and it is every 9 days. I also take spiro, finasteride and progesterone every day. It is a routine.
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas in 2020 FEMLAR
  •  

Ara

Once you have your testes removed (either on their own or as part of SRS) you'll need to be on either oestrogen or testosterone for the rest of your life.  If you decide to detransition after SRS then you'll need to start injecting testosterone.  If you don't, it's just taking oestrogen every day like you usually would.
Reading list:
1.  Whipping Girl
2.  Transfeminist Perspectives
3.  ?????

•  

nola

I started taking 1/4 of the transitiong dose in bio identical gel form of estrogen which is a preparation of estradiol plus estriol. the first 2 weeks I was dizzy, disoriented, forgetful, buzzed and had mild headaches, after two weeks I felt better but not 100%, then I upped the dose to 1/2 for 10 days and felt ok, then had the same symptoms all felt in my head for 3 days, i went down to 1/4th the dose for another week and felt better, now I upped the dose to half again and been on it for 3 days, no big bad side effects, mild headache, but feel like Im drugged, not taking a t blocker since my base line was of female range.So ive been on low dose for 6 weeks, I choose to do this to see how my body reacts to it, Im supposed to be taking micronized bio progesterone pills as my doc prescribed but I havent done that yet, my doc says taking both at the same time I wold have less side effects and faster breast growth.I am not taking the full dose yet cause of work and the ability to transition at my own pace.my nipples are a little swollen, my skin looks softer abd the weirdst thing is that my libido is up like a ninpho, my erections are not too strong my my desire to masturbate has increased, sometimes i wake in the middle of the night to masturbate.ejaculation is still the same amount of fluids.
  •  

Laura_7

Irreversible changes

breast development,
    enlarged nipples and areolae,

Reversible changes

redistribution of body fat,
    reduced muscle development,
    various skin changes,
    significantly reduced body hair,
    change in body odor and sweat production,
    less prominence of veins,
    ocular changes,
    gonadal size

The psychological changes are harder to define, since HRT is usually the first physical action that takes place when transitioning. This fact alone has a significant psychological impact, which is hard to distinguish from hormonally induced changes. Many also report feeling more confident.
  •